Brief Academic History
- 2007 – Present: Research Fellow, Centre for Transport Research (CTR), Geography and Environment, University of Aberdeen.
- 2011-2012 (Dec-Nov) Part-time Visiting Scholar, Martin Centre for Architectural and Urban Studies, University of Cambridge.
- 2008-2009 (Oct-Mar): Part-time Visiting Researcher, Martin Centre for Architectural and Urban Studies, University of Cambridge.
- 2002-2007: Research Associate, School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Newcastle University.
- 1998-2001: Junior Research Associate, Transport Operations Research Group (TORG): University of Newcastle.
- 1997: Ph.D. “A linear programming approach to path flow estimation in SCOOT controlled road networks”, (SERC Case Studentship with Siemens Traffic Controls) University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- 1992: M.Sc. Transport Engineering and Operations, (Rees Jeffreys Scholarship), University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- 1991: B.Eng. (Hons) Civil Engineering, University of Aberdeen.
Research interest is centred on the planning and operational aspects of flexible and shared transport alternatives to private car use (e.g. Demand Responsive Transport services, taxis including shared taxi services, community transport and voluntary car schemes, and carpooling) with special interest in application of new and proven technologies to facilitate, and expand the market for, such services. Other interests include modelling external benefits of shared transport services and the provision of home to school transport.
- AMIL - Accessibility Mapping Incorporating Liftsharing (July 14-June 15) Principal Investigator on RCUK dot.rural Partnership project with Liftshare.com
- CHUMS - Changing Habits for Urban Mobility Solutions (March 2014-Aug 2016) Principal Investigator on Intelligent Energy Europe funded project.
- Co-ordinating an Information Service for Flexible Transport to Health and Social Care (Oct 2014-Apr 2015) Co-Investigator on EPSRC (dot.rural) KE with HTAP
- Research into the Social and Economic Benefits of Community Transport in Scotland (Sept 2014-March 2015) Co-Investigator on Transport Scotland funded project in partnership with Peter Brett Associates and Wellside Research.
- FITS - Flexible Integrated Transport Services (July 2010-Dec 2014) Associate Investigator on RCUK dot.rural Rural Digital Economy Research Hub project.
- EPTA - European Model for Public Transport Authority as a key factor leading to transport sustainability (Jan 2012- July 2014) Co-Investigator on INTERREG IVC EU funded knowledge exchange project.
- Enhanced WISETRIP - Enhanced Intermodality of Content, Personalised Information and Functionality of WISETRIP Network of Journey Planning Engines (Sept 2011-Aug 2014) Co-Investigator on EC FP7 Transport project.
- Further Info
Recently Completed Research
- SEGMENT - SEGmented Marketing for ENergy efficient Transport (Dec 12- Apr 13) Researcher on Intelligent Energy Europe funded project
- REVISIONS - Regional Visions of Integrated Sustainable Infrastructure Optimised for NeighbourhoodS (Nov 2010 - Oct 2012) Researcher on EPSRC funded project
- Improved information sharing for the more intelligent use of Demand Responsive Transport: A UK booking Portal (Sept 09–Dec 11) Principal Investigator on Technology Strategy Board funded project
- FLIPPER - Flexible Transport Services and ICT platform for Eco-Mobility in urban and rural European areas (Dec 08 - Dec 11) Co-Investigator on EU knowledge exchange project
- Web resource for dedicated school transport (Sept 2010 - Mar 2012) Principal Investigator on Metro (West Yorkshire PTE) project