- 2014-present: Lecturer in Hydrogeology, School of Geosciences, University of Aberdeen
- 2014-present: Visiting researcher, Queen's University Belfast
- 2009-2014: Postdoctoral research fellow in Hydrogeology/Hydrogeophysics, School of Planning Architecture and Civil Engineering, Queen's University Belfast
- 2008: PhD in Hydrogeology, University of Avignon 'Contribution of electrical resistivity tomography to variable-density groundwater flow modelling in coastal aquifers - Application to three contrasted climate settings (Canada, New Caledonia, Senegal)'
- 2003-2009: Hydrogeologist, HYDRIAD Consultants, Nimes
- 2002-2003: DESS (MSc2) Hydrogeology, University of Avignon
- 1998-2002: DEUG-Licence-Maitrise IUP (BSc, MSc1) Geosciences and Environmental Engineering, University Paul Sabatier Toulouse
- Regional quantitative hydrogeology
- Integrated approaches for aquifer characterisation and modelling
- Application of geophysical methods for parameterisation and calibration of groundwater models
- Groundwater resources in complex hydrogeological environments, including coastal, insular, hard rock and volcanic aquifers
- Sustainable management of fresh groundwater resources in coastal aquifer systems
- NERC Urgency Grant [NE/R002568/1] - Extreme rainfall and floods in arid regions (Botswana): replenishment or contamination of water resources? (2017-2018). PI.
- United Utilities Water/Environmental Agency applied research grant - Understanding stream-aquifer interactions and their influence on flow regimes and fluvial processes in a newly restored ephemeral stream (2017-2022). Co-PI.
- Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) Environment and Sustainability Research Grant [ESRG3/16] - East African groundwater resources under climatic and human pressure (2016-2017). PI.
- Geological Survey of Ireland Research Grant [2015-SC-003] - Determining fractured bedrock aquifer parameters using Magnetic Resonance Sounding to better constrain numerical groundwater models in support of catchment scale water resource management (2016). Co-I.
- Elphinstone Fund/Water Resources Management Authority of Kenya PhD Scholarship (Mr S. Oiro) - Comparative hydrogeology of the Nairobi volcanic suite aquifer and the Tiwi coastal aquifer (2015-2018).
- NERC/DFID/ESRC Research Grant [NE/L001888/1] - UPGro Programme: Towards Groundwater security in coastal East Africa (2013-2014). PI.
- EuropeAid/African Union Research Grant [EuropeAid/130-741/D/ACT/ACP] - Groundwater resource in basement rocks of Africa (2012-2015). Co-I.
- Department of Employment and Learning Northern Ireland PhD Scholarship (Mr N. Dickson) - Incorporation of multi-scale hydrogeophysical datasets into numerical groundwater models (2012-2015).
- Further Info
- Associate Editor, Hydrogeology Journal (2014-2017)
- Member of the International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH), the French Committee of Hydrogeology of the IAH (CFH), the American Geophysical Union (AGU) and the European Geosciences Union (EGU); Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (RGS)
- Peer reviews for Geophysical Prospecting, Hydrological Sciences Journal, Journal of Hydrology, Hydrogeology Journal, Near Surface Geophysics, Hydrological Processes, Regional Environmental Changes, Water Resources Research, Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, Scientific Reports
- 25+ hydrogeological expertises / consultancy works carried out since 2003 on groundwater resources development, characterisation, modelling, management and protection, for various institutional or private clients in Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa, North America, Indian & Pacific Ocean
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 20
Contributions to Journals
- Bachtouli, S. & Comte, J-C (in press). 'Regional-scale analysis of the effect of managed aquifer recharge on saltwater intrusion in irrigated coastal aquifers: long-term groundwater observations and model simulations in NE Tunisia'. Journal of Coastal Research.
- Dickson, N., Comte, J-C, Koussoube, Y., Ofterdinger, U. & Vouillamoz, J-M (in press). 'Analysis and numerical modelling of large-scale controls on aquifer structure and hydrogeological properties in the African basement (Benin, West Africa)'. Geological Society Special Publications .
- Legchenko, A., Comte, J-C, Ofterdinger, U., Vouillamoz, J-M, Lawson, FMA. & Walsh, J. (2017). 'Joint use of singular value decomposition and Monte-Carlo simulation for estimating uncertainty in surface NMR inversion'. Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol 144, pp. 28-36.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.jappgeo.2017.06.010
- Comte, J-C, Wilson, C., Ofterdinger, U. & Gonzalez-Quiros, A. (2017). 'Effect of volcanic dykes on coastal groundwater flow and saltwater intrusion: a field-scale multiphysics approach and parameter evaluation'. Water Resources Research, vol 53, no. 3, pp. 2171-2198.
[Online] DOI: 10.1002/2016WR019480
[Online] AURA: Comte_et_al_2017_Water_Resources_Research.pdf
- Comte, J-C, Cassidy, R., Obando, J., Robins, N., Ibrahim, K., Melchioly, S., Mjemah, I., Shauri, H., Bourhane, A., Mohamed, I., Noe, C., Mwega, B., Makokha, M., Join, J-L, Banton, O. & Davies, J. (2016). 'Challenges in groundwater resource management in coastal aquifers of East Africa: Investigations and lessons learnt in the Comoros Islands, Kenya and Tanzania'. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, vol 5, pp. 179-199.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/J.EJRH.2015.12.065
[Online] AURA: 1_s2.0_S2214581815002232_main.pdf
- Dickson, NEM., Comte, J-C, Renard, P., Straubhaar, JA., McKinley, JM. & Ofterdinger, U. (2015). 'Integrating aerial geophysical data in multiple-point statistics simulations to assist groundwater flow models'. Hydrogeology Journal, vol 23, no. 5, pp. 883-900.
[Online] DOI: 10.1007/s10040-015-1258-x
- Caulfield, J., Chelliah, M., Comte, J-C, Cassidy, R. & Flynn, R. (2014). 'Integrating petrography, mineralogy and hydrochemistry to constrain the influence and distribution of groundwater contributions to baseflow in poorly productive aquifers: Insights from Gortinlieve catchment, Co. Donegal, NW Ireland'. Science of the Total Environment, vol 500-501, pp. 224-234.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.08.105
- Comte, J-C, Join, J-L, Banton, O. & Nicolini, E. (2014). 'Modelling the response of fresh groundwater to climate and vegetation changes in coral islands'. Hydrogeology Journal, vol 22, no. 8, pp. 1905-1920.
[Online] DOI: 10.1007/s10040-014-1160-y
- Dickson, NEM., Comte, J-C, McKinley, J. & Ofterdinger, U. (2014). 'Coupling ground and airborne geophysical data with upscaling techniques for regional groundwater modelling of heterogeneous aquifers: case study of a sedimentary aquifer intruded by volcanic dykes in Northern Ireland'. Water Resources Research, vol 50, no. 10, pp. 7894-8001.
[Online] DOI: 10.1002/2014WR015320
- Cassidy, R., Comte, J-C, Nitsche, J., Wilson, C., Flynn, R. & Ofterdinger, U. (2014). 'Combining multi-scale geophysical techniques for robust hydro-structural characterisation in catchments underlain by hard rock in post-glacial regions'. Journal of Hydrology, vol 517, pp. 715-731.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.06.004