- DRT2017 Inverness - 21st International Conference on Deformation Mechanisms, Rheology and Tectonics, May 2017
- Google Scholar citations
- ELLE numerical simulation platform
- Personal website
- Lecturer in Geology and Petroleum Geology, University of Aberdeen, Scotland (since July 2014)
- Postdoctoral research fellow, University of Tübingen, Germany (2010-2014). "Habilitation" (Dr. habil, equivalent to DSc) in the German University system (2014)
- Research Intern, ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company, USA (2009)
- Postdoctoral research fellow, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain (2008-2009)
- Part-time teaching fellow, National University of Distance Education (UNED), Spain (2006-2009)
- PhD grant holder, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain (2003-2007). Graduated with a PhD in Structural Geology (2008)
- Integrated prediction of carbonate reservoirs: sedimentology, diagenesis, structures and petrophysical properties.
- Exploration of geothermal energy reservoirs.
- Fluid flow and diagenetic reactions in extensional basins and fold and thrust belts.
- Static reservoir modelling of the distribution of lithofacies and diagenetic products.
- Analysis of structural, depositional and diagenetic controls on dolostone distribution. Reactivity of dolomitising fluids and controls on permeability in carbonates.
- Basin- and crustal-scale flow of hydrothermal fluids.
- Study of vein dynamics, vein growth and fracture sealing.
- Mechanical stratigraphy in carbonates. Improvement of methods to acquire and upscale statistical properties of fracture and stylolite networks.
- Deformation mechanisms and microstructures in polycrystalline aggregates. Numerical simulation of viscous and viscoplastic deformation coupled with recrystallisation processes.
- Field and numerical studies of ductile tectonic structures.
- Experimental, field and numerical studies of deformation localisation and fracturing in anisotropic materials.
Current (active) research grants:
- Understanding the interplay between dynamic fluid flow and structural diagenesis during the evolution of fold and thrust belts, using the Southern Pyrenees as a natural laboratory. Funded by AGAUR (Catalan government). Principal investigator. University of Barcelona.
- Determining the main controls on fault-associated dolomitisation and their influence on reservoir quality distribution (PhD project of Elliot Humphrey). Funded by the NERC Centre for Doctoral Training in oil & gas. Principal investigator and main PhD supervisor (with Joyce Neilson and Juan Diego Martín-Martín as co-supervisors). University of Aberdeen.
- Improved understanding of fluid flow in partially dolomitised hydrocarbon reservoirs (PhD project of Shuqing Yao). Funded by the China Scholarship Council and the University of Aberdeen. Principal investigator and main PhD supervisor (with John Howell and Juan Diego Martín-Martín as co-supervisors). University of Aberdeen.
- Prediction of structural damage, fracture cementation and fluid flow in folds associated with thrusts: application to CO2 storage and hydrocarbon reservoirs (PhD project of Xiaolong Sun). Funded by the China Scholarship Council and the University of Barcelona. Principal investigator and main PhD supervisor (with Anna Travé and Juan Alcalde as co-supervisors). University of Barcelona.
- Development of methodologies applied to risk management on induced seismicity during fluid injection in geothermal reservoirs (PhD project of Guillem Piris). Funded by the Institut Cartogràfic i Geològic de Catalunya (Catalan Geological Survey) and AGAUR (Catalan government, industrial doctorate). Co-investigator and PhD co-supervisor (with Albert Griera as main supervisor). Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Listening through rock salt: Quantifying petrofabrics and seismic velocity anisotropy of evaporites to improve seismic imaging (PhD project of Johanna Heeb). Funded by the Curtin-Aberdeen universities alliance. Co-investigator and PhD co-supervisor (with Nick Timms and Dave Healy as PIs and main supervisors). Curtin University (Australia) and University of Aberdeen.
- Fluid flow during the evolution of an orogen: diagenetic, hydrothermal and metamorphic characterisation with application to CO2 storage and resource exploration. Funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. Co-investigator (with Anna Travé as PI). University of Barcelona.
I currently contribute to teaching the following courses:
- GL5013 - Professional Skills Incorporating International Field Trip (MSc in Integrated Petroleum Geoscience)
- GL5522 - Reservoir Sedimentology and Structure (MSc in Reservoir Engineering)
- GL5019 - Characterisation of Complex Reservoirs (MSc in Petrophysics and Formation Evaluation)
- GL5033 and GL5534 - Fundamentals of Petroleum Geoscience (MSc in Oil and Gas Engineering, MSc in Oil and Gas Computing, MSc in Petroleum Engineering and MSc in Reservoir Engineering)
- GL2015 - Petrology and Mineralogy (BSc in Geology and Petroleum Geology)
- GL3027 - Structural Geology and Tectonics (BSc in Geology and Petroleum Geology)
- GL3029 - Petroleum Geology and Reservoir Characterisation (BSc in Reservoir Engineering)
- GL3026 - Field and mapping techniques 1 (BSc in Geology and Petroleum Geology)
- GL4023 - Geological Mapping Project (BSc in Geology and Petroleum Geology)
- Further Info
Associate editor of Marine and Petroleum Geology
We organised the 21st International Conference on Deformation Mechanisms, Rheology and Tectonics (DRT 2017), in Inverness, Scotland, 30th April - 4th May 2017. Click here for more information.