- 2016- Lecturer in Geosciences - University of Aberdeen
- 2012-2014 Postdoctoral Reasearch Fellow - University of Bologna
- 2010-2012 Petroleum Geoscientist - Geophi s.r.l.
- 2009-2012 Ph.D. Student in Geology - University of Bologna
- 2011 Visiting Ph.D. Scholar - Department of Geophysics, Colorado School of Mines
- 2009 Visiting Ph.D. Scholar - Department of Geosciences, University of Aveiro
- 2006-2008 M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, Marine Geology - University of Bologna
- 2003-2006 B.Sc. in Marine Environmental Sciences - University of Sassari
I study focused fluid flows and sediment remobilization processes investigating the controls exerted by tectonic and stratigraphic settings on transport of sediments, seal bypass systems and spontaneous seepage features, in particular involving hydrocarbons.
- Significance of focused fluid flows in the history of sedimentary basins
- Joint application of geophysical methods for high-resolution imaging of shallow mud volcanoes subsurface
- Seismic expression of fluid flow features
- Mathematical modeling of mud volcanoes
- Coupled mud and sand remobilization and intrusion
- Relationships among sediment deposition, coeval tectonic deformation and biogeochemistry of methane-derived carbonates
- Origin, migration and geochemistry of hydrocarbons
Mud volcano field at Nirano, Italy
- Numerical modeling of mud volcanoes formation from overpressured reservoirs
- Relations among gas migration, faulting and formation of carbonate knolls
- Basin analysis along Western Australia offshore
- Authigenic carbonates as proxy for past methane emission
- Sea level change along Tanzania Coastal Basins
- Impact of transoceanic tsunami waves on East Africa coasts
In collaboration with UDSM (Tanzania):
- Spontaneous oil seepage as tool to assess the oil-generative potential of Tanzanian Coastal Sedimentary Basin
- Reservoir potential of Mesozoic sandstone Units in the Mandawa Basin, Coastal Tanzania
- An investigation of the Jurassic source rocks and their basement rocks for an assessment of a petroleum system in the south‑western Tanzania
- Petrophysical and petrographic evaluation of the potential hydrocarbon reservoir rocks in the Rukwa Rift Basin, Southwestern Tanzania
I'm in the process of setting up various research projects in Northern Apennines (Italy), Western Australia offshore, and onshore and offshore Tanzania.
I'm always looking for enthusiastic prospective M.Sc. and Ph.D. students. If interested feel free to contact me.
Various collaborations with (among others): MARUM (DE) - University of Bologna (IT) - Earlham College (USA) - University of Aveiro (PT) - Instituto Portugues do Mar a da Atmosfera (PT) - Colorado School of Mines (USA) - Université Savoie Mont-Blanc ISTERRE CNRS (France) - University of Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) - Petrotrin - Shell
- (2017) - Principal Investigator: The Carnegie Trust Research Incentive Grant. Numerical modelling of mud volcanoes. £5,138
- (2017) - Principal Investigator: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. International Exchange Programme. £1,675
- (2016) - Principal Investigator: European Aid/Tz. Spontaneous oil seepage as tool to assess the oil-generative potential of Tanzanian Coastal Sedimentary Basin. 15,110€
- (2016) - Principal Investigator: European Aid/Tz. Assessment of Mesozoic sandstone units as possible reservoirs in the Mandawa Basin. 15,470€
- (2016) - Co-Principal Investigator: European Aid/Tz. An investigation of the Jurassic source rocks and their basement rocks for an assessment of a petroleum system in the south-western Tanzania. 15,000€
- (2016) - Co-Investigator: European Aid/Tz. Petrophysical and petrographic evaluation of the potential hydrocarbon reservoir rocks in the Rukwa Rift Basin, Southwestern Tanzania. 14,895€
Teaching collaboration with the Department of Geology, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
GY 338 - Petroleum geophysics
GY 449 - Technology Review
GY 450 - Prospect Assessment, Evaluation and Petroleum Economics
GY 600 - Advanced Petroleum Geology
GY 607 - Seismic data interpretation
GY 612 - Reservoir Diagenesis and Quality
- Further Info
(2017) - External examiner for 6 M.Sc. dissertations in Geology, University of Dar es Salaam (TZ)
(2012 to 2014) - Elected delegate for the 45 Post Doctoral Researchers in the Geology Department Board at the University of Bologna.
(2012) - Chief examiner for M.Sc. thesis on Methane-Derived Authigenic Carbonates at the University of Aveiro (PT).
(2010) - Organizing committee for the Science Fair of the City of Bologna, Italy.
- Marine and Petroleum Geology (Outstanding Reviewer 2015)
- Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering