Chair in Geology & Petroleum Geology
Career summary: Grant income of £7.4M (majority from industry); 22 PhD students successfully defended, 6 current PhD students; 60 research publications and popular science articles.
1999-present: Professor of Petroleum Geology, University of Aberdeen; 2003-05: Course Director: MSc in Petroleum Geology; 2003-2005: Head of School of Geosciences 2005-2010. Research on reservoir sand quality and deltas (mainly Sakhalin and Russian Far East).
1993-1999: Director and Chief Geologist, Cambridge Arctic Shelf Programme (an independent geological research group, c.30 staff, in the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge); industry funded, >£1M p.a. Specialised in field geology of frontier areas: Arctic, Russia, China and South Atlantic.
l984-1993: Senior Sedimentologist & Leader, Fore-arc Basin Dynamics Project, British Antarctic Survey.
l982-1984: Sedimentologist, BP Petroleum Development Ltd, International Division. Took part in field work in Sabah and Irian Jaya.
l980-1982: Postdoctoral demonstrator in Department of Geology, University of Keele.
l977-1980: University of Cambridge, Darwin College: PhD The sedimentology, structure and palaeogeography of the Cumberland Bay Formation, South Georgia.
l975-1980: Contract Geologist, British Antarctic Survey.
l97l-1975: University of Glasgow: BSc with First Class Honours, Geology, July l975.
Petroleum geology; tectonics and sedimentology
I am working on the links between large-scale tectonics and sediment supply. I have a particular interest in deltas at continental margins and plate boundaries witrh current PhD studnets active in Nigeria (Niger-Benue system) and Californis (palaeo-delta of the Colorado River).
My main collaborations are with:
- With Ian Dalziel and Lawrence Lawver at the University of Texas Institute for Geophysics (part of the Jackson School of Geosciences at the University of Texas at Austin) I have worked on continental reconstructions using the PLATES Project software.
- Rachel Flecker (BRIDGE group, School of Geographical Sciences, University of Bristol) and I work together on the palaeo-Amur system as exposed on Sakhalin, Russian Far East. this research also includes collaboration with Dr Uisdean Nicholson of Shell.
- I continue to associate with my old colleagues at CASP in the University of Cambridge.
I teach at both BSc and Masters level:
- I am a member of the course team for our second year field class, centered on the Isle of Arran (GL2510: Introduction to field geology)
- I am course coordinator for a level 3 course for petroleum engineering studnets (GL3523: Petroleum geology & reservoir characterisation)
- I teach and coordinate a course for MSc students on the OGEM programme, showing how the energy industry works (GL5006: Overview of the energy industry)
- From September, I will be Director of Taught Postgraduate Programmes in Petroleum Geology, responsible for both Integrated Petroleum Geoscience and Oil & Gas Enterprise Management
- Further Info
Member of the College Postgraduate Committee, University Redundancy Committee, and the University Honorary Degrees Committee