Charlotta studied archaeology as well as history of science and ideas at Uppsala University, from where she obtained her MA in 2003. She also spent a year at Södertörn University College studying maritime archaeology. In 2003 she started her PhD-studies at Uppsala University, where she defended her PhD-thesis, People in Between. Ethnicity and Material Culture – a New Approach to Deconstructed concept in 2009. During 2006 she had a leave of absence from her PhD-studies and worked, among other things, as a field archaeologist in Alberta, Canada. Charlotta was appointed Lecturer of Archaeology at the University of Aberdeen in 2010.
Periods and Regional Interests
- Early Medieval Scandinavia and Baltic Sea region
- Viking Age Russia
- Contact period Western Canada
- Ethnicity and social identity
- Scandinavian Viking Age
- Indigenous archaeology
- Colonialism and post colonial archaeology
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 22
- Hillerdal, C 2018, 'Living Heritage' Workshop, Quinhagak, AK, August 8-11, 2018: Notes from the meeting..
- Hillerdal, C, Knecht, R & Jones, W 2018, 'Nunalleq: Archaeology, Climate Change and Community Engagement in a Yup’ik Village' Arctic Anthropology, vol. 56, no. 1.
- Ledger, PM, Forbes, V, Masson-Maclean, E, Hillerdal, C, Hamilton, WD, McManus-Fry, E, Jorge, A, Britton, K & Knecht, RA 2018, 'Three Generations Under One Roof? Bayesian Modeling of Radiocarbon Data from Nunalleq, Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, Alaska' American Antiquity, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 505-524. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/aaq.2018.14
- Hillerdal, C 2018, 'Charlotta Hillerdal (2017): ANCIENT SCANDINAVIA: AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORY FROM THE FIRST HUMANS TO THE VIKINGS. By T. DOUGLAS PRICE. Pp. xx and 494, Illus 298. Oxford University Press, 2015. Price: £41.99. ISBN 978 019023 197 2' Archaeological Journal, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 430-431. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00665983.2017.1400249
- Hillerdal, C 2018, Words Apart: Archaeology, Indigenous Communities and the Power of Definition. in E Anneli, I Christian & K-J Lindholm (eds), The Resilience of Heritage: Cultivating a Future of the Past. Essays in Honour of Professor Paul J.J. Sinclair. Uppsala Universitet, pp. 363-392.
- Hillerdal, C, Karlström, A & Ojala, C-G (eds) 2017, Archaeologies of "Us" and "Them": Debating History, Heritage and Indigeneity. Routledge Studies in Archaeology, Routledge. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315641997
- Hillerdal, C, Karlström, A & Ojala, C-G 2017, Introduction. in C Hillerdal, A Karlström & C-G Ojala (eds), Archaeologies of "Us" and "Them": Debating History, Heritage and Indigeneity. Routledge, pp. 1-13.
- Hillerdal, C 2017, Integrating the past in the present: Archaeology as part of living Yup'ik heritage. in C Hillerdal, A Karlström & C-G Ojala (eds), Archaeologies of "Us" and "Them": Debating History, Heritage and Indigeneity. Routledge, pp. 64-79.
- Hillerdal, C 2017, Politics of Indigeneity. in C Hillerdal, A Karlström & C-G Ojala (eds), Archaeologies of "Us" and "Them": Debating History, Heritage and Indigeneity. Routledge, pp. 15-17.
- Hillerdal, C 2016, 'Review: Fibula, Fabula, Fact. The Viking Age in Finland' Journal of Archaeology and Ancient History, vol. 17, pp. 1-5.