Chair in Geology & Petroleum Geology
- All aspects of clastic sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. A particular interest is the application of geomorphology to the rock record in continental environments.
- Evolution of the Central Andes: using stratigraphic, sedimentological and structural data to reconstruct the timing and cause of climate change and uplift in the Central Andes.
- Stratigraphic development of clastic sedimentary successions in Large Igneous Provinces.
- Application of all aspects of clastic sedimentology in the exploration for, and the exploitation of, hydrocarbon reservoirs.
Fluvial System Research Group. A Joint Industry Project currently funded by BG, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Total. The project links with Albuquerque and Royal Holloway and aims to develop a predictive model of distributive fluvial systems (DFS) and associated environments based on remote sensing imagery and outcrop studies. Research is focussed on outcrop based studies in various parts of the world and involves building 3D models of different aspects of distributive fluvial systems, "ground-truthed" using datasets derived from remotely sensed imagery and modern day systems.
StratLIP a multidisciplinary approach to understanding the sedimentological and volcanic evolution of LIP's.
Gary Weissmann & Louis Scuderi, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
Gary Nichols, Nautilus
Anne Mather, University of Plymouth
Level 1 GL1005 Earth Through Geological Time
Level 3 GL3025 Stratigraphy
Level 3 GL3026 Helmsdale/Skye Fieldtrip Course Coordinator
Level 4 GL4023 Mapping Project
Level 4 GL4522 Birth, Growth and Death of Supercontinents
Level 5 Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. Leader of Utah Fieldtrip, Sicily fieldtrip.
- Further Info
Director of Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc
Director of Teaching and Learning, School of Geosciences
Page 1 of 10 Results 1 to 10 of 93
Contributions to Journals
- Hardman, JPA., Schofield, N., Jolley, DW., Holford, SP., Hartley, AJ., Morse, S., Underhill, J., Watson, DA. & Zimmer, EH. (in press). 'Prolonged Dynamic Support from the Icelandic Plume of the North East Atlantic Margin'. Journal of the Geological Society .
- Hardman, J., Schofield, N., Jolley, D., Hartley, A., Holford, SP. & Watson, D. (in press). 'Controls on the Distribution of Volcanism and Intra-Basaltic Sediments in the Cambo-Rosebank Region, West of Shetland'. Petroleum Geoscience.
- Owen, A., Ebinghaus, A., Hartley, AJ., Santos, MGM. & Weissmann, G. (2017). 'Multi-scale classification of fluvial architecture: an example from the Palaeocene-Eocene Bighorn Basin, Wyoming'. Sedimentology, vol 64, no. 6, pp. 1572-1596.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/sed.12364
- Pinter, PR., Butler, RWH., Hartley, AJ., Maniscalco, R., Baldassini, N. & Di Stefano, A. 'Tracking sand-fairways through a deformed turbidite system: the Numidian (Miocene) of Central Sicily, Italy'. Basin Research.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/bre.12261
[Online] AURA: Pinter_et_al_2017_Basin_Research.pdf
- Evenstar, LA., Mather, AE., Hartley, AJ., Stuart, FM., Sparks, RSJ. & Cooper, FJ. (2017). 'Geomorphology on geologic timescales: Evolution of the late Cenozoic Pacific paleosurface in Northern Chile and Southern Peru'. Earth Science Reviews, vol 171, pp. 1-27.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2017.04.004
- Hartley, A. & Evenstar, L. 'Fluvial architecture in actively deforming salt basins: Chinle Formation, Paradox Basin, Utah'. Basin Research, pp. 1-19.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/bre.12247
- Schofield, N., Jolley, D., Holford, S., Archer, S., Watson, D., Hartley, A., Howell, J., Muirhead, D., Underhill, J. & Green, P. 'Challenges of future exploration within the UK Rockall Basin'. Petroleum Geology Conference Proceedings, vol 8.
[Online] DOI: 10.1144/PGC8.37
- Owen, A., Nichols, GJ., Hartley, AJ. & Weissmann, GS. (2017). 'Vertical trends within the prograding Salt Wash distributive fluvial system, SW USA'. Basin Research, vol 29, no. 1, pp. 64-80.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/bre.12165
[Online] AURA: Owen_et_al_2015_Basin_Research_Salt_Wash.pdf
- Hartley, AJ., Weissmann, GS. & Scuderi, L. (2017). 'Controls on the apex location of large deltas'. Journal of the Geological Society , vol 174, pp. 10-13.
[Online] DOI: 10.1144/jgs2015-154
[Online] AURA: Controls_on_the_apex_location_of_large_deltas.pdf
- Pinter, PR., Butler, RWH., Hartley, AJ., Maniscalco, R., Baldassini, N. & Di Stefano, A. (2016). 'The Numidian of Sicily revisited: a thrust-influenced confined turbidite system'. Marine and Petroleum Geology, vol 78, pp. 291-311.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2016.09.014
[Online] AURA: 1_s2.0_S0264817216303191_main.pdf