- MA (Social Science) with First Class Honours in Geography (Glasgow) 1993.
- PhD (Glasgow) 2000.
- 1997-1998. Research Assistant, Land Economy, University of Aberdeen.
- 1998-2004. Lecturer, Land Economy, University of Aberdeen.
- 2004 – 2007. Lecturer, Geography and Environment, University of Aberdeen.
- 2007 - date. Senior Lecturer, Geography and Environment, University of Aberdeen
- 2016 - date. Depute Head of School of Geosciences
My main area of research interest is rural socio-economic change. I have published conceptual and empirical papers about rural social exclusion, population change and ageing in rural communities and digital divides. I have completed research on these topics funded by UK Research Councils and Government Deparments.
I have supervised ten doctoral candiatews to successful completion of their PhD thesis.
I am currently leading a a 3 year research project examining the long term impacts of flooding on rural communities funded by Scotland's Centre for Research Excellence in Water (CREW).
I have recently compelted work on three interdisiplinary research projects funded through the University of Aberdeen's RCUK dot.rural research hub: Technologies to support Older people at home: maximising Personal and Social interaction - TOPS; 'Two Speed Britian' -a dot.rural - Oxford Internet Institute collaboration using data from the 2013 Oxford Internet Survey; and RuralPAWS, a project which adressed digial exclusion in a remote rural case study community.
Current funded research
Assessing the impacts on people and communities following the Decembet 2015 / January 2016 flood events. Project funded by CREW, Scotland's Centre of Expertise for Waters. Grant Value £200,000 (split 50:50 between University of Aberdeen and the James Hutton Institute) (December 2016 - March 2019)
Recently completed funded research
RuralPAWS Project funded by the RCUK Rural Digital Economy Hub, dot.rural. Grant value £260,000. (October 2013 - September 2015)
Oxford Internet Survey Project funded by the RCUK Rural Digital Economy Hub, dot.rural. Grant value £150,000. (December 2013 - March 2015)
Technologies to support Older people at home: maximising Personal and Social interaction – TOPS Project funded by the RCUK Rural Digital Economy Hub, dot.rural. Grant value £152,000. (December 2010 - March 2013)
The Retirement Transition and the Celtic Fringe: Mobility Trends and Migrant and Rural Community Well Being Project funded by the ESRC. Grant value £266,499.40. (Dec 2008 – May 2011)
Policy Grid 2 Project funded by the ESRC Grant value £885,486.21. Three year project. (May 2009 – August 2012)
I have teaching commitments at all levels of the undergradaute Geography curriculum. My current teaching activities include contributions to 1st year Global Worlds: Local Challenges; the compulsory Level 3 Research Design and Methods; Level 3 Concepts in Human Geography and Level 3 Globalisation and a Masters level Research Methods course. I deliver a specialist Level 4 Honours Option course, Rural Geographies and I supervise undergradaute and taught post-graduate dissertations. I also contribute to the annual, residential, Advanced Research Training in Human Geography course delivered as part of the ESRC funded Scottish Graduate School of Social Science doctoral training programme.
- Further Info
Aberdeen University representative for the Human Geography, Environment and Urban Planning pathway of the Scottish Graduate School of Social Sciences ESRC Doctoral Training Partnership
Aberdeen University representative on the Board of the Scottish Graduate School of Social Sciences ESRC Doctoral Training Partnertship, 2013 to 2019
Co-editor of Scottish Geographical Journal, 2010-2016
External examiner, University of Newcastle, MSc Food and Rural Development, 2016 to 2019
External examiner, University of the Highlands and Islands, MSc Sustainable Rural Development, 2009-2015
Depute Head of the School of Geosciences
Convenor, University of Aberdeen Ethical Review Committee
Page 1 of 7 Results 1 to 10 of 69
- Philip, L, Dowds, G & Currie, M 2020, Long-term impacts of flooding following the winter 2015/16 flooding in North East Scotland: Comprehensive Report.
- Margaret, C, Philip, L & Dowds, G 2020, Long-term impacts of flooding following the winter 2015/16 flooding in North East Scotland: Summary Report.
- Philip, LJ & Edwards, KJ 2019, 'Centenary of the Department of Geography, University of Aberdeen', Scottish Geographical Journal, vol. 135, no. 3-4, pp. 156-212. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14702541.2019.1695887
- Maclaren, AS, Philip, LJ & Currie, M 2019, 'Editorial Introduction: Diverse Geographies of Rural Ageing', AGER: Journal of Depopulation and Rural Development Studies, vol. 27, pp. 9-15.
- Philip, L & Williams, F 2019, 'Healthy ageing in Smart Villages? Observations from the field.', European Countryside, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 616-633. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2478/euco-2019-0034
- Philip, LJ 2019, Population Growth. The Development of Towns and Villages in Galloway, 1755-1841. in E Cowan & K Veitch (eds), Dumfries and Galloway: People and Place, c.1700 - 1914. Birlinn Ltd, Edinburgh, pp. 70-110.
- Philip, L & Williams, F 2019, 'Remote rural home based businesses and digital inequalities: understanding needs and expectations in a digitally underserved community', Journal of Rural Studies, vol. 68, pp. 306-318. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrurstud.2018.09.011
- Currie, M & Philip, LJ 2019, Rural Ageing. in D Gu & M Dupre (eds), Encyclopaedia of Gerontology and Population Ageing. Springer . [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69892-2_630-1
- Philip, LJ & Maclaren, AS 2019, 'Rural geographical research at the University of Aberdeen: working in rural places and with rural communities', Scottish Geographical Journal, vol. 135, no. 3-4, pp. 328-242. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14702541.2019.1695905
- Wallace, CD & Philip, LJ 2019, Written evidence submitted to the House of Commons Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee Rural broadband and digital only services inquiry. House of Commons. <> [Online] DOI: https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/environment-food-and-rural-affairs-committee/inquiries/parliament-2017/rural-broadband-and-digital-only-services-17-19/publications/