We are delighted to host a morning satellite meeting on Tuesday 13th June 2023, prior to the main symposium.
The Gateway to Global Enteric Methane Reduction is co-organised by Sharon Huws, Queen's University Belfast and Matthias Hess, University of California Davis.
The workshop is for those who have pre-registered only. The workshop is now fully booked.
- Location: Hilton TECA , Bucksburn Suite. This is the on-site hotel to the main symposium venue, P&J Live
- Date & Time: Tuesday 13th June 2023, 8.00 - 13.30
Download/View the PDF Programme
Methane emissions from ruminants are a major contributor to greenhouse gasses and consequently to climate change. With recent advances in omics technologies, genetic engineering and high-throughput screening, we now have the tools to identify and develop efficient strategies to reduce enteric methane emissions, while also increasing animal productivity. While those strategies now seem to be available in the near future, issues like affordable and equal access still have to be addressed and should be considered as early as possible when developing these new technologies. A global reduction of enteric methane emission can only be achieved when every farmer has access, can apply and benefits directly from approaches that will be developed to this end.
During this workshop we will hear about and discuss current issues and potential solutions related to:
- Global Policies
- Equal Access and Affordability (with focus on Low & Middle-Income Countries)
- Modeling of Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Nutrition-Based Interventions and &
- Microbiome-based Technologies.
We hope to synthesize a roadmap for the next two years to bring us closer to the goal of developing globally applicable and affordable strategies to mitigate methane emissions from ruminant animals and the livestock industry.
Tuesday 13th June 2023
07:45 - 08:30 am: Registration
08:00 - 08:30 am: Tea and Coffee; 30 min
08:30 - 10:30 am: Talks & Introduction; 2 hrs
- Welcome & Intro (Matthias Hess; 10 min)
- Grantham Foundation (Marc von Keitz; 10 min); USA
- Global Methane Hub (Hayden Montgomery; 5 min)
- RMG/Gateway (Sharon Huws; 10 min) UK/RNI/ Queen's University Belfast:
- David Yañez-Ruiz (10 min) Europe/Spain/CSIC
- Sinead Waters (10 min) Europe/Ireland/ Teagasc
- Cesar Patino (15 min); Africa/ILRI
- Anil Kumar Puniya (15 min); Asia/India
- Charles Brooke (15 min); USA/California/CDFA
- Anne Mottet (15 min); Europe/International Fund for Agricultural Development (15min; remote)
- Matthias Hess (Quick intro of New Project; 5 min); USA/California/UC Davis
10:30 - 10:50 am: Tea & Coffee Break; 20 min
10:50 am – 12:15pm: Roundtables - 2 groups (Moderated by Sharon & Matthias); 1 hr 25 min
- Q 1: Biggest challenges and how to overcome them and aim towards meeting local and global Net Zero goal
- Q2: Research Gaps
12:15pm - 1:30 pm: Working Lunch; 1 hr 15 min
- Focus groups report back and preparation of summary (Moderated by Sharon & Matthias; 50 min)
- Next steps (Moderated by Sharon & Matthias; 20 min)
- Closing Remarks (Matthias; 5 min)