The School of Engineering maintains an excellent track record in technology transfer to Industry and is one of the leading UK University departments in the oil and gas industry for projects supported by the UK Government's Knowledge Technology Partnerships. These projects provide a framework and resources to support collaborations between companies and academia.
Current KTP Projects:
- C D Limited - To develop a laser based solution to the problem of detecting free-spans in subsea pipeline installations, 2008-2010.
- Ziebel UK Limited - To develop a specialised downhole pumping system for the extension of the life of gas wells, 2008-2010.
- Hydrafit Subsea (UK) Limited - To transfer engineering knowledge to develop a new product, 2008-2010.
- Hydrasun Limited - To develop and implement a world class stock control and inventory modelling system which will improve client service delivery, 2008-2010.
- MCS International (UK) Ltd - To develop and integrate a market ready software module for advanced VIV analysis of deepwater offshore risers, 2007 - 2010.
- Dominion Technology Gases Limited- To develop an intelligent maintenance schedule for all gas plant and machinery throughout all sites and integrate it into an existing asset tracking program, 2008 - 2010.
- Plexus Ocean Systems Limited- To develop a methodology and an enhanced industry design standard for the pipe casing hanger for application in the hydrocarbon recovery industry, 2008 - 2011.
- Ziebel UK Limited- To bring specialist engineering skills and expertise in composite materials and structures to enhance its ZipLog compostite product and derivatives, 2010 - 2011.
Completed KTP Projects:
- Target Well Control Ltd - To develop from initial conceptual design and bring to commercial realisation two 'instruments' to supplement the existing fleet of MWD/LWD and Directional Drilling products, 2002 - 2007.
- Circle Offshore Ltd - To analyse current water abrasive jet cutting system and working environment, resulting in the design and build of an optimised system able to operate in extreme deep-water conditions, 2004 - 2007.
- Read Well Services Ltd - To analyse and optimise the in-situ hydraulic expansion of oil well tubulars, and to develop design procedures for Tie Back and Patch repair techniques, 2003 - 2005.
- Hydro Group Ltd - To acquire in house expertise in optoelectronic technology and apply this to the current optical connector range, 2002 - 2004.
- Online Electronics Ltd - To design and construct a non-tethered pipeline plug with a large operational range and through-wall ELF communication system, 2001 - 2006.
- Geolink (UK) Ltd - Research and development on Measurement While Drilling (MWD) transmission methods and systems, 2001 - 2004.
- Transfer Systems International (UK) Ltd - To enable better understanding of bulk drilll cutting transfer performance criteria and their enhancement, improvement and automation, 2001 - 2003.
- CDL - To develop a sub-sea surveying system based on optical scanner (laser) technology, to be deployed on ROVs, aimed at providing measurements for fabrication and installation of pipeline jointing-pieces, 2000 - 2003.
- Shell International Exploration & Production Bv - To theoretically and experimentally study the mechanics of pipe expansion including tribology, "stick-slip" stress in a complex interconnected downhole pipe string and its dynamic response, 2000 - 2003.
- Axeon Ltd - To develop algorithms and demonstrator applications which utilise the unique capabilities of the company's Learning Processor, particularly in the area of text and image content filtering for web-based transactions, 2000 - 2002.
- Online Electronics Ltd - To design and construct a remote pig tracking/signalling system and advanced subsea pipeline pressure transducer with through-water acoustic modem for a custom subsea communication system, 1999 - 2002.
- PSL Holdings Ltd - To study the action of the company's premium product on sediments/solid material on the seabed, leading to an advanced predictive model for material response and providing reliable performance prediction for subsea trenching projects, 1999 - 2001.
- Stenmar-Sonavision - To develop high speed signal processing technology to allow the full exploitation of the company's piezo-composite technology in sonar systems for both offshore survey and military applications, 1998 - 2001.
- PES Ltd - To develop two specific new products for the oil and gas industry, 1996 - 2001.
- Rotech Engineering Ltd - To allow MacDrill use in aggressive conditions and "sour" wells, redesign mechanical elements of the motor to improve flow paths and simplify motor manufacture, enhance quality and reduce costs, 1998 - 2001.
- Ziebel UK Limited - To develop a novel and innovative multiphase flow meter for in line measurement of oil and gas flows, 2007-2009.
- Axon Instruments Ltd - To develop a novel and innovative multiphase flow meter for in line measurement of oil and gas flows, 2007 - 2009.
- Brinker Technology Ltd - To develop and extend Telepath, a new non-invasive approach to locating leaks in subsea umbilicals, 2007 - 2009.
- P.A.C.T. Engineering (Scotland) Ltd - To develop a unique drive train, which utilises fluid flow to generate electrical energy for ' PIGASYS' an autonomous contraflow vehicle designed for deployment inside pipelines, 2007 - 2009
- Plexus Ocean Systems Ltd - To develop an extended hold friction grip system for securing oil and gas pipe casing and tubulars in hostile surface and sub sea conditions, 2007 - 2009
- 4i2i Communications Ltd - To investigate image processing techniques and their implementation as a semiconductor intellectual property core in an embedded CCTV network camera alongside the existing video codec technology, 2005 - 2009.
- Pipeline Technique Ltd - To develop a cost-effective novel orbital welding system and intelligent weld design tools, 2004 - 2007.
The University of Aberdeen hosts the North of Scotland KTP-LINK Centre. This is the first point-of-contact for new KTP proposals.