Chair in Engineering Materials
- Allan Glen's School, Glasgow, 1962-68.
- B.Sc. (Eng.) with First Class Honours, Mechanical Engineering, University of Glasgow, 1972.
- M.S., Solid Mechanics, Brown University, Providence RI, USA, 1974.
- Ph.D., Solid Mechanics, Brown University, Providence RI, USA, 1977.
Current and previous appointments:
- 1976-78 Acting Assistant Professor of Applied Mechanics, Stanford University.
- 1978-82 Assistant Professor of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 1982-85 Professor of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 1985-present Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Professor of Materials, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- 1987-88 Acting Chair, Department of Mechanical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- 1992-95 Chair, Department of Mechanical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- 1999-03 Chair, Department of Mechanical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Brown Engineering Alumni Medal, Brown University, 2007.
- Arthur Newell Talbot Lecturer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007.
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, Elected 2005.
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Award for Senior U.S. Scientists, 2004.
- Fellow, American Academy of Mechanics, Elected 2002.
- Highly Cited Researcher in Materials Science, Institute for Scientific Information, 2002.
External Memberships and Affiliations
· Editor, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 2002-2012;
· Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 1987-1994.
· Member, U.S. National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 2007-present.
· Member, Board of Directors, Society of Engineering Science, 2007-present.
· Chair, International Union for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Working Party 4 on Materials Processing 2005-present, Vice-Chair 2002-2005.
· Member, U.K. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Peer Review College, 2005-present.
· Director, International Congress on Fracture, 2005-present.
· Secretary, American Academy of Mechanics, 2005-present
· Member, DARPA Defense Sciences Research Council, 1986-1991, 2003-2006.
· Member of Editorial Advisory Boards of Computational Mechanics, Journal of Computer‑Aided Materials Design, Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures, International Journal of Fatigue, International Journal of Solids and Structures.
· American Society of Mechanical Engineers
· Sigma Xi
· American Academy of Mechanics
· Society for Engineering Science
· American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Plasticity, fracture mechanics, computational methods, glaciology, tough ceramics, composite materials, materials processing, powder consolidation and sintering, ferroelectrics, electromechanical effects in materials, effect of electric fields on crack propagation, structural evolution, nanotribology, actuating structures, blast and fragment protection of structures, fluid structure interactions arising from underwater blast waves, thermal barrier coatings, the mechanics of the cell and its cytoskeleton.