I apply a wide range of computational techniques to solve engineering problems. This sounds very nebulous but I have worked on a broad range of topics ranging from computational thermodynamics, particle dynamics simulation, and pilot-scale production trials of novel cement formulations to the virtual reality rendering of volumetric datasets and GPU programming. At the heart of it all is the development of engineering simulation software.
I am currently working on the production-process optimisation, simulation, and computational thermodynamics of a novel low-carbon cement formulations and traditional Portland cement. I have developed a thermodynamic database for the high-temperature simulation of cement clinkerisation, which is accessible here at http://simcem.com.
A large part of my research is also centred on simulation of molecular and granular particulate systems. As a part of that research I developed a unique and cutting-edge event-driven particle-dynamics package called DynamO. DynamO is a general tool that has already found application in a wide range of systems such as granular dampers, nano-colloidal fluids, and protein folding/helix formation. A major focus of my current research centres around the development a new class of particle models for solids processing systems. Coupled with novel algorithms, it is now possible to simulate process scale equipment with millions of particles in near real-time. An example application is in the full-scale modelling of the solids/granular/heat/reaction processes in cement kilns. For more information, please visit http://dynamomd.org.
EX3030 Heat, Mass, and Momentum Transfer
EM40JN Heat and Momentum Transfer
EX3502 Separation Processes 1 (evaporation, distillation, and absorption)
EG5099 Upstream Oil & Gas Engineering
- Further Info
Programme leader for Chemical Engineering.
EG4012/EG4013 Coordinator for Chemical Engineering undergraduate thesis/individual projects.
Page 2 of 4 Results 11 to 20 of 36
- Galan Garcia, I, Hanein, T, Elhoweris, A, Skalamprinos, S, Jen, GG, Whittaker, MJ, Campbell Bannerman, MN, Imbabi, MS-E & Glasser, F 2017, 'Calcium Sulfoaluminate Cement Clinkering', The future of cement, Paris, France, 6/06/17 - 8/06/17.
- Abdul Aziz, A, Starkey, A & Campbell Bannerman, M 2017, Evaluating Cross Domain Sentiment Analysis using Supervised Machine Learning Techniques. in Intelligent Systems Conference 2017., 17652472 , IEEE Explore, London, SAI Intelligent Systems Conference 2017 (IntelliSys 2017), London, United Kingdom, 7/09/17. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/IntelliSys.2017.8324369
- Hanein, T, Glasser, FP & Campbell Bannerman, MN 2017, 'One-dimensional steady-state thermal model for rotary kilns used in the manufacture of cement', Advances in Applied Ceramics, vol. 116, no. 4, YAAC 1303261, pp. 207-215. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17436753.2017.1303261
- Galan, I, Hanein, T, Elhoweris, A, Bannerman, MN & Glasser, FP 2017, 'Phase compatibility in the system CaO-SiO2-Al2O3-SO3-Fe2O3 and the effect of partial pressure on phase stability', Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 2341-2349. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.6b03470
- Khare, S, C. Bannerman, M, Glasser, F, Hanein, T & Imbabi, MS 2017, 'Pilot scale production of novel calcium sulfoaluminate cement clinkers and development of thermal model', Chemical Engineering and Processing, vol. 122, pp. 68-75. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2017.10.006
- Hanein, T, Galan, I, Glasser, F, Skalamprinos, S, Elhoweris, A, Imbabi, MS & Bannerman, MN 2017, 'Stability of ternesite and the production at scale of ternesite-based clinkers', Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 98, pp. 91-100. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2017.04.010
- Campbell Bannerman, MN, Hanein, T & Glasser, FP 2017, Validation of a one-dimensional kiln heat transfer model against a pilot kiln. in Proceedings of the 37th Cement and Concrete Science Conference., 058, 37th Cement & Concrete Science Conference, London, United Kingdom, 11/09/17. <> [Online] DOI: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/aim/conference-info/37ccs/proceedings
- Hanein, T, Imbabi, MS-E, Glasser, FP & Campbell Bannerman, MN 2016, 'Lowering the carbon footprint and energy consumption of cement production: A novel Calcium SulfoAluminate cement production process', Paper presented at IGCMat 2016, Los angeles, United Kingdom, 17/03/16 - 18/03/16. <> [Online] DOI: http://igcmat.com/papers/Hanein_igcmat_2016.pdf
- Hanein, T, Galan, I, Elhoweris, A, Khare, S, Skalamprinos, S, Jen, G, Whittaker, M, Imbabi, MS, Glasser, FP & Bannerman, MN 2016, 'Production of belite calcium sulfoaluminate cement using sulfur as a fuel and as a source of clinker sulfur trioxide: pilot kiln trial', Advances in Cement Research, vol. 28, no. 10, 1600018, pp. 643-653. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1680/jadcr.16.00018
- Strobl, S, Bannerman, MN & Poeschel, T 2016, 'Stable algorithm for event detection in event-driven particle dynamics: logical states', Computational Particle Mechanics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 383-388. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40571-016-0106-7