I apply a wide range of computational techniques to solve engineering problems. This sounds very nebulous but I have worked on a broad range of topics ranging from computational thermodynamics, particle dynamics simulation, and pilot-scale production trials of novel cement formulations to the virtual reality rendering of volumetric datasets and GPU programming. At the heart of it all is the development of engineering simulation software.
I am currently working on the production-process optimisation, simulation, and computational thermodynamics of a novel low-carbon cement formulations and traditional Portland cement. I have developed a thermodynamic database for the high-temperature simulation of cement clinkerisation, which is accessible here at http://simcem.com.
A large part of my research is also centred on simulation of molecular and granular particulate systems. As a part of that research I developed a unique and cutting-edge event-driven particle-dynamics package called DynamO. DynamO is a general tool that has already found application in a wide range of systems such as granular dampers, nano-colloidal fluids, and protein folding/helix formation. A major focus of my current research centres around the development a new class of particle models for solids processing systems. Coupled with novel algorithms, it is now possible to simulate process scale equipment with millions of particles in near real-time. An example application is in the full-scale modelling of the solids/granular/heat/reaction processes in cement kilns. For more information, please visit http://dynamomd.org.
EX3030 Heat, Mass, and Momentum Transfer
EM40JN Heat and Momentum Transfer
EX3502 Separation Processes 1 (evaporation, distillation, and absorption)
EG5099 Upstream Oil & Gas Engineering
- Further Info
Programme leader for Chemical Engineering.
EG4012/EG4013 Coordinator for Chemical Engineering undergraduate thesis/individual projects.
Page 1 of 4 Results 1 to 10 of 36
- Pieprzyk, S, Branka, AC, Heyes, DM & Campbell Bannerman, M 2020, 'A comprehensive study of the thermal conductivity of the hard sphere fluid and solid by Molecular Dynamics simulation', Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 22, no. 16, 8834, pp. 8834-8845. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/D0CP00494D
- Strobl, S, Campbell Bannerman, MN & Poeschel, T 2020, 'Robust event-driven particle tracking in complex geometries', Computer Physics Communications, vol. 254, 107229. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpc.2020.107229
- Hanein, T, Glasser, F & Campbell Bannerman, M 2020, 'Thermodynamic data for cement clinkering', Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 132, 106043. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2020.106043
- Hanein, T, Duvallet, TY, Jewell, RB, Oberlink, AE, Robl, TL, Zhou, Y, Glasser, FP & Bannerman, MN 2019, 'Alite calcium sulfoaluminate cement: chemistry and thermodynamics', Advances in Cement Research, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 94-105. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1680/jadcr.18.00118
- Moir, C, Lue, L, Gale, JD, Raiteri, P & Bannerman, MN 2019, 'Anomalous heat transport in binary hard-sphere gases', Physical Review E - Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics, vol. 99, no. 3, 030102. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.99.030102
- Elhoweris, A, Alhorr, Y, Galvez-Martos, J-L & Campbell Bannerman, MN 2019, 'Development of a novel process for the production of calcium sulfoaluminate', Paper presented at 15th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement, prague, Czech Republic, 16/09/19 - 20/09/19.
- Elhoweris, A, Alhorr, Y, Galvez-Martos, J-L & Campbell Bannerman, MN 2019, 'Development of a novel process for the production of calcium sulfoaluminate', 15th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement, prague, Czech Republic, 16/09/19 - 20/09/19.
- Pieprzyk, S, Bannerman, MN, Branka, AC, Chudak, M & Heyes, DM 2019, 'Thermodynamic and dynamical properties of the hard sphere system revisited by molecular dynamics simulation', Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 21, no. 13, pp. 6886-6899. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/C9CP00903E
- Hanein, T, Galvez-Martos, J-L & Bannerman, MN 2018, 'Carbon footprint of calcium sulfoaluminate clinker production', Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 172, pp. 2278-2287. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.11.183
- Galan Garcia, I, Elhoweris, A, Hanein, T, Campbell Bannerman, MN & Glasser, FP 2017, 'Advances in clinkering technology of calcium sulfoaluminate cement', Advances in Cement Research, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 405-417. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1680/jadcr.17.00028