This informal full-day session including lunch and coffee breaks explores research-led public engagement in some detail. Practical skills such as designing activities and presenting good elevator pitches are mixed with some background on public engagement principles and practice. Supplementary materials are provided and a range of links to opportunities for carrying through to a tangible output. Key content includes:-
- Overview of the public engagement landscape in the research environment and how proactive involvement can benefit researchers, individually and as teams.
- Practical activities on elevator pitches, design of visuals for presentations and trying out new approaches.
- Meet and greet session dealing with relevant areas including the use of social media and working with partners.
- Interactive session exploring the essentials of evaluation.
- Follow-on challenge whereby participants can produce their own public engagement output.