2011, PhD (Earth Sciences), Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, University of London, England.
2005, MS (Ocean Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India.
Research InterestsAmer's research interests are broadly in the area of applied mechanics. He is also interested in the sociological aspects of engineering and social justice.
Performance of wave energy devices:
The focus of this work is to improve the performance of wave energy devices through improving the efficiency of mechanical components. Recent work includes development of systems based model for the performance assessment of a wave energy device in heave.
Micromechanics of granular media – inferences through direct observations:
The focus of this project is on the understanding the deformation and failure of geomaterials through direct observations. Experimental technique is being developed to acquire and quantify observations at different spatial scales to develop a multiscale framework to understand the mechanics of geomaterials. This project is carried out in collaboration with the National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, USA for the acquisition of simultaneous X-ray and neutron 3-D tomograms of various geomaterials (different sizes of sand, sandstones and soil) under varied loading conditions. The microscopic observations from these tomograms are combined with the macroscopic observations from standard tests in rock/soil mechanics (i.e. triaxial tests).
Recent work can be accessed here: Micromechanics of rocks- World Neutron Radiography Congress poster
Radiation Physics Group, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, USA.
Amer is interested in working with social enterprises, communities, charities and governmental organisations.
Non-planar propagation of hydraulic fracture in transition zone of coal measure strata, IEC\NSFC\181081, (2019-2021), Royal Society International Exchanges, £11,066 (Principal Investigator).
Retrofitting of offshore jacket structures with wave energy device in heave (2019), Scottish Funding Council Innovation Voucher, £5,000 (Joint Investigator).
Dynamic, in-situ imaging of capillary imbibition in rock using simultaneous neutron and X-ray computed tomography , EP/N021665/1, (2016-18), EPSRC Overseas Travel Grant, £20,610 (Co-Investigator).
Wall shear stresses during transport of non-Newtonian fluids through constrictions, University of Aberdeen Principal’s Interdisciplinary Fund, £3,000 (Principal Investigator).
Dynamics- 1/Structural Dynamics - A/B
- Further Info
External examiner- Curtin University, Australia
School Disability Coordinator
Coordinator for UG and PG Projects
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 22
- Syed, A, Jamshidi Far, A & Aphale, SS 2020, 'A Systems Based Modelling Tool for the Selection of Wave Energy Device to Power Remote Islands', Paper presented at IEEE PES/IAS PowerAfrica Conference 2020, 25/08/20 - 28/08/20.
- Tanino, Y & Syed, A 2019, 'Enhanced Oil Recovery by Polymer Flooding: Direct, Low-Cost Visualization in a Hele-Shaw Cell', Education Sciences, vol. 9, no. 3, 186. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci9030186
- Syed, AS, Manoharan, G, Jacobson, D, LaManna, J, Hussey, DS, Baltic, E & Tanino, Y 2018, 'New insights into fracture mechanics of sedimentary rocks using neutron tomography and mechanical tests', 11th World Conference on Neutron Radiography, Sydney, Australia, 2/09/18 - 7/09/18.
- Mosleh, MH, Durucan, S, Syed, A, Shi, J-Q, Korre, A & Nash, G 2017, 'Development and characterisation of a smart cement for CO2 leakage remediation at wellbores', Energy Procedia, vol. 114, pp. 4147-4153. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.03.1555
- Tanino, Y & Syed, AS 2017, 'In-situ imaging of fractured rock and flow through them using simultaneous neutron and X-ray computed tomography, EPSRC' Impact, vol. 2017, no. 7, pp. 61-63. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.21820/23987073.2017.7.61
- Manoharan, G, Tanino, Y & Syed, AS 2017, 'In-situ visualisation of capillary imbibition in rocks using neutron tomography', 30th Scottish Fluid Mechanics Meeting, Glascow, United Kingdom, 19/05/17 - 19/05/17.
- Syed, AS, Tanino, Y, LaManna, J & Jacobson, D 2016, 'Nucleation of cracks in sedimentary rocks: New insights from simultaneous X-ray and neutron imaging', 2016 AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, United States, 12/12/16 - 16/12/16.
- Durucan, S, Korre, A, Govindan, R, Mosleh, MH & Syed, AS 2016, 'The Use of Polymer-gel Solutions for CO2 Flow Diversion and Mobility Control within Storage Sites', Energy Procedia, vol. 86, pp. 450-459. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2016.01.046
- Mfanga, DR, Tanino, Y & Syed, AS 2016, 'Viscoelasticity of Bentonite: Impact on radial flow through wellbore', Scottish Fluid Mechanics Meeting, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 20/05/16.
- Syed, A, Shi, JQ, Durucan, S, Korre, A & Nash, G 2014, 'Experimental and Numerical Investigations into CO2 Interactions with well Infrastructure and its Impact on Long term Well Integrity', Energy Procedia, vol. 63, pp. 5707-5714. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.603