Chair in Plant & Soil Science
After obtaining a PhD in 1991, Pete Smith worked as a Higher- then Senior-Scientific Officer at the MAFF Central Science Laboratory until 1994. He then worked as a Band 6 and Band 5 Senior Research Scientist at Rothamsted Research before joining the University of Aberdeen as a Senior Lecturer in 2001.
He became a Reader in 2003, and Professor of Soils & Global Change in 2005. His main areas of expertise are in modelling greenhouse gas / carbon mitigation, bioenergy, biological carbon sequestration, global food systems modelling and greenhouse gas removal technologies.
He is co-leader with Prof Jo Smith of the Environmental Modelling Group (2 Academic staff, 2 Senior Research Fellows, 15 Post-docs, 12 PhDs). He is also Science Director of Scotland's Climate Change Centre of Expertise (www.climatexchange.org.uk), and was Director of Food Systems of the Scottish Food Security Alliance-Crops (www.sfsa-crops.org), and Theme Leader of the University-wide theme, Environment and Food Security (www.abdn.ac.uk/environment-food-security/), until 2015. He is editor for Global Change Biology and Global Change Biology Bioenergy.
He was a Royal Society-Wolfson Research Merit Award holder (2008-2013), Royal Society Research Fellow (2008-201?3), and is a Fellow of the Society of Biology (FSB; elected 2008), a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE; elected 2009), a Foreign Fellow of the Indian National Science Acedemy (FNA; elected 2017); a Fellow of the European Academy of Sciences (EurASc; elected 2018) and a Fellow of the Royal Society (London; elected 2017).
Global change impacts on ecosystems, soils, agricultural and land based options to mitigate climate change, greenhouse gas emissions, environmental and agricultural sustainability, global carbon cycle, ecosystem modelling, food security, ecosystem services, bioenergy (including BECCS)
Numerous projects on the above areas funded mainly by the research councils and the EU
Numerous - all over the world
Funding during last 10 years
Title Funding body Dates Partner share (£) Are tropical uplands regional hotspots for methane and nitrous oxide? NERC 01/03/10-28/02/13 358,391 Estimates of future agricultural greenhouse gas emissions and mitigation in China Defra/DfID 01/11/09-30/10/12 425,569 GHG Europe EU 01/01/10-30/09/13 324,687 Provide a Quantitative Estimate of and Review the Contribution of Priority Habitats to Mitigation of Climate Change Defra 01/01/10-30/03/11 42,140 Spatial mapping and evaluation of energy crop distribution in GB to 2050 NERC/UKERC 01/04/10-30/10/11 110,179 GACA Unilever 01/04/10-30/04/11 21,104 CARBONES EU 01/05/10-30/04/13 87,273 Review of GHG emissions from agriculture Unilever 01/05/10-31/05/10 3,783 Policy options for LULUCF in Europe EU 10/11/09-09/11/10 8,244 GHG emissions from agriculture Princeton / HP Foundation 01/05/10-30/08/10 6,667 Accounting for the GHG impacts of LULUC due to biobased ingredients Unilever 22/08/10-31/03/11 47,336 Interaction between C, N and water in UK soils (Homan Wong's PhD) NERC 01/04/10-30/09/13 75,000 UK NEA Coordinating Lead Author fund UNEP 01/07/10-31/03/10 10,000 Scoping study SP1105-populating the land use cmponent of the LULUCF GHG Inventory Defra/NERC 01/07/10-02/03/10 32,653 India Partnering award BBSRC 01/05/10-30/04/14 24,476 GHG mitigation from Chinese agriculture NERC 01/07/10-31/11/10 6,352 Development of an assessment on GHG emissions from the agricultural sector FAO 24/08/10-23/11/10 7,700 Jenny Farmer PhD project CLSM/Macaulay 01/09/09-30/08/12 3,000 Cool livestock farming in Europe Greenpeace International 01/11/10-30/04/11 4,315 Jon Hillier KET Award University of Aberdeen 12/12/10-30/07/10 12,175 InveN2Ory Defra 01/12/10-31/03/15 694,858 Data management and modelling for the agricultural GHG inventory Defra 01/12/10-31/03/15 60,000 Andy Robertson PhD Shell/CEH 01/02/11-31/01/14 48,000 Centre of Expertise on Climate Change - Mitigation Scottish Government 01/04/11-31/03/14 522,270 Committee on Climate Change - Bioenergy Expert CCC 01/04/11-31/12/11 6,674 ELUM ETI 01/06/11-31/04/14 599,800 Centre of Expertise on Climate Change - Directorate Scottish Government 01/04/11-31/03/16 210,000 RSE International Exchange Programme India Royal Society of Edinburgh 19/09/11-16/10/11 2,100 SmartSoil EU 01/11/11-30/07/15 299,540 Iniobong Essiet PhD College funding CLSM 01/10/11-30/09/14 9,000 IPCC CLA Support DECC 01/04/11-31/03/14 30,000 Impact on global ecosystem services of UK energy supply UKERC 01/01/12-31/03/14 300,000 SEER ESRC 01/03/12-31/12/12 43,619 RSE International Exchange Programme (Rafaele Casa) Royal Society of Edinburgh 02/06/12-23/06/12 1,813 Saana Tykka's PhD fund James Hutton Institute 01/10/12-31/03/16 42,000 Permafrost catchments in transition: hydrological controls on carbon cycling and greenhouse gas budgets NERC 01/10/12-31/09/16 273,875 FACCE-JPI MACSUR Cropland Hub BBSRC 01/08/12-31/07/15 64,734 EFS Theme Budget University of Aberdeen 01/09/12-31/08/13 30,000 Saana Tykka - 51232501 -RTSG PhD funding University of Aberdeen 01/09/12-31/03/16 3,000 Joseph Oyesiku-Blakemore - 51233548-RTSG PhD funding University of Aberdeen 01/09/12-31/03/16 3,000 GREENHOUSE NERC 01/04/13-31/03/17 211,388 Pete Smith secondment to the JHI (10%) James Hutton Institute 01/08/12-31/03/16 61,070 The Counterfactual land uses to bioenergy crops (Phase I and II) DECC 01/12/12-31/01/14 170,000 Capture crop and grassland management impact in UK soil carbon LULUCF Inventory Defra 22/10/12-28/02/14 98,094 Wales Glastir Axis II Project Welsh Government 01/05/13-31/08/14 51,823 Khadiza Begum PhD fund CLSM 01/08/13-30/07/16 3,000 Henri de Ruiter's PhD fund EFS Theme 01/10/13-31/03/17 17,500 Impacts of sugar cane production in Brazil BBSRC 31/07/14-30/07/18 48,980 India diet health and environmental impacts Wellcome Trust 01/11/14-31/10/16 25,146 Scaling soil process modelling to national Irish EPA 01/01/13-31/12/14 9,633 Dagmar Henner PhD RTSG (CLSM 50%) Shell/CLSM 01/10/14-31/03/18 1,500 Dagmar Henner PhD RTSG (Shell 50%) Shell/CLSM 01/10/14-31/03/18 31,759 Renaud Heckle PhD - £1k per year CLSM 01/10/14-31/03/18 3,000 Laura Philips PhD - £1k per year CLSM 01/10/14-31/03/18 3,000 MAGLUE EPSRC 01/01/15-31/12/17 169,299 U-Grass NERC 01/07/15-30/06/18 259,798 DEVIL Belmont Forum (via NERC) 01/02/15-31/01/20 399,997 Global N and India Mitigation Strategies Analysis CIMMYT 01/02/15-31/07/16 193,972 Science based emissions targets for agriculture and forestry commodities KR Foundation 01/05/2015-31/05/16 216,168 MACSUR2 BBSRC 01/06/15-31/05/17 52,782 ADVENT NERC 01/07/15-30/06/18 181,712 Amy Molotoks EastBio PhD fund EastBio 01/10/15-30/04/19 17,500 N-Circle BBSRC/Newton Fund 01/01/16-31/12/19 2,403,479 CXC-2 Scottish Government 01/04/16-31/02/21 131,968 Including perennial crops in the Cool Farm Tool NERC 01/04/16-28/02/17 96,532 Developing a Modelling Tool to Assist with Prioritising Investments in Natural Capital Defra (via University of Exeter) 01/01/17-30/06/17 6,000 Assess-BECCS UKERC 01/03/17-28/02/19 400,000 Juan Pablo Inamagua RTSG Uni. Aberdeen 01/08/17-30/07/18 3,000 Soils-R-GRREAT NERC and others 20/06/17-31/05/21 420,898 SHEFS Welcome Trust 359,072 BALI project NERC 01/04/14-31/03/18 209,366 Ziyin (Sally) Shang PhD - £1k per year SBS/CSC 01/10/17-30/09/21 3,000 Yang Guo PhD - £1k per year SBS/CSC 01/10/17-30/09/21 3,000 VERIFY EU 01/02/18-31/01/22 234,614 CIRCASA EU 01/04/18-31/03/22 123,768 AFRICAP NERC 01/10/17-31/12/21 383,410 SUPERG EU 01/06/18-31/05/23 419,702 UNISECO EU 01/05/18-30/04/21 264,846 BEIS contribution to Pete Smith CLA role BEIS 01/06/17-30/07/19 20,000 Juan Pablo Inamagua IRSAE travel grant IRSAE 20/03/18-19/03/19 739 Land Use Modelling Review - Valuing Nature Network NERC 01/12/18-31/05/19 57,000 Total 12622841
- Further Info
- Science Director of Scotland’s Climate Change Centre of Expertise (2011-present)
- Director-Food Systems of the Scottish Food Security Alliance – Crops (2013-2016)
- Theme Leader of cross-University theme on Environment & Food Security (2012-2015)
- Member of Science and Technical Committee for the International 4per1000 initiative (2016-2018)
- Member of Science Advisory Board to UK Global Food Security programme (2016-present)
- Convening Lead Author of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report on Claimet Change and Land (2016-2019)
- Convening Lead Author for Agriculture and Forestry Chapter of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fifth Assessment Report, Mitigation volume (2010-2014)
- Convening Lead Author of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report, Mitigation volume, Chapter 8 Agriculture (2004-2007)
- Lead Author for Cross Sectoral Perspectives Chapter of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report, Mitigation volume (2018-present)
- Lead Author of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Good Practice Guidelines 2006 (2004-2006)
- Convening Lead Author of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Good Practice Guidelines for Greenhouse Gas Inventories for Land-Use, Land-Use Change & Forestry (2002-2004).
- Convening Lead Author for UN-FAO Status of World Soil Resources Report (2014-2015)
- Scientific Steering Group member of International Soil Carbon Network (2013-present)
- Member of DfID’s Research Advisory Group (2017-present)
- Member of Defra’s Science Advisory Council (2011-2013)
- Science Leader (and management committee member) for the UK community land surface model of the UK global climate model: JULES (soil C & N component) (2007-2014).
- Expert Advisor on bioenergy issues to UK Committee on Climate Change (2011)
- UK National Ecosystem Assessment Expert Group Member (2009-2011)
- Coordinating Lead Author for UK National Ecosystem Assessment Chapter on Regulating Services (2009-2011).
- UK Foresight Project on Global Food and Farming Futures, Expert Review Leader on Competition for Land (2009-2010).
- Member of Programme Development Group for the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (2008-2013).
- New Zealand Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Research Centre’s International Science Advisory Group (ISAG) (2010-present).
- Royal Society of Edinburgh Convener for the Organismal and Environmental Biology sectional committee (A3) (2011-2013)
- Royal Society of Edinburgh Fellowship Committee Member (2009-2013)
- Royal Society of Edinburgh BP Fellowship Committee Member (2010-present)
- Steering Committee Member of European Union – Framework V/VI CarboEurope Consortium (2002-2003)
- Lead Author for the IPCC Special Report on Land Use, Land-Use Change and Forestry (published in 2000)
- Member of IPCC/OECD Working Group on the IPCC Revised Guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories (1996)
- Chair of Global Change and Terrestrial Ecosystems (GCTE)’s Global Soil Organic Matter Network (SOMNET) (1996-2002)
- Co-leader of GCTE's research focus on Soil Organic Matter (1996-2000)
- Professorial selection committee for Danish Institute of Ag. Sciences (2002-2003)
- NERC/BBSRC Soil Science Advisory Committee member (2003-2008)
- Member of the International Geosphere Biosphere Program (IGBP) Global Carbon Cycle Project (1998-present).
- Chair and Convenor of EU-Terrestrial Ecosystems Research Initiative (TERI) Workgroup 8 on Policy Conflicts in Terrestrial Ecosystems Research (1999)
- Management Committee of EU-COST Action 627 “Carbon Storage in Grasslands” (2000-2006)
- Workgroup 3 (modelling) Chair of EU-COST Action 627 “Carbon Storage in Grasslands” (2000-2006)
- European Climate Change Programme Working Group Agriculture (WG7) member (2001)
- European Climate Change Programme Working Group “Soil Carbon Sinks” (WG7a) member (2002)
- European Climate Change Programme Working Group Research (WG6) member (2001)
- Member of Scientific Organising Committee of European Society of Agronomy (ESA) annual modelling symposia 1999 and 2001
- International Review Panel member of Australian Greenhouse Office National Carbon Accounting System (1999-2001)
- International Scientific Steering Committee member of the Federal US-funded multi-institutional project on carbon sequestration in US agriculture, CASMGS (2001-2005).
- Steering Committee of International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development-International Policy Council Platform on Climate Change, Agriculture and Trade (2009-2010)
- UK Co Chair of Climate Mitigation and Adaptation Working Group of UK-China Sustainable Agriculture Innovation Network (2009-2013).
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Environmental Quality (1997-2003)
- Editorial Board Member of Acta Agronomica Hungarica (1998-present)
- Editorial Board Member of International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability (2006–present)
- Editorial Board Member of Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment (2006-2015).
- Editorial Board Member of Greenhouse Gas Management & Measurement (2010-present).
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of Subtropical Resources and Environment (2006-present)
- Editorial Board Member of Pedosphere (2014-present)
- Editorial Board of Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability (2015-present)
- Editorial Board of Land Degradation and Development (2016-2017)
- Editorial Board of Current Research in Environmental Sustainability (2019-present)
- Editor of Global Change Biology (2007-present)
- Editor of Global Change Biology Bioenergy (2009-present)
- Subject Editor (Ecology, Conservation and Global Change Biology) of Royal Society Open Science (2019-present).
- Science Director of Scotland’s Climate Change Centre of Expertise (2011-present
Current PhD students
Marvin Beckert (email@example.com)
Dagmar Henner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jim Reilly (email@example.com)
Rita Razauskaite (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Amy Molotoks (email@example.com)
Jennifer Wardle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Anna Ferretto (email@example.com)
Kate Logan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Valeria Mazzola (Valeria.Mazzola@hutton.ac.uk)
Juan Pablo Inamagua (email@example.com)
Yang Guo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ziyin (Sally) Shang (email@example.com)
Vince Chukwu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jack Walton (email@example.com)
Jo Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Pete Smith (email@example.com)
Senior Research Fellow
Astley Hastings (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Marta Dondini (email@example.com)
Matthias Kuhnert (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fabrizio Albanito (email@example.com)
Nuala Fitton (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sylvia Vetter (email@example.com)
Mohamed Abdalla (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Diana Feliciano (email@example.com)
Dave McBey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jenny Farmer (email@example.com)
Joe Oyesiku-Blakemore (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Alison Brand (email@example.com)
Dali Nayak (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Anita Shepherd (email@example.com)
Mike Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mark Richards (email@example.com)
Page 1 of 7 Results 1 to 100 of 652
- Abdalla, M, Song, X, Ju, X, Topp, CFE & Smith, P 2020, 'Calibration and validation of the DNDC model to estimate nitrous oxide emissions and crop productivity for a summer maize-winter wheat double cropping system in Hebei, China', Environmental Pollution.
- Thackeray, SJ, Robinson, SA, Smith, P, Bruno, R, Kirschbaum, MUF, Bernacchi, C, Byrne, M, Cheung, W, Cotrufo, MF, Gienapp, P, Hartley, S, Janssens, I, Hefin Jones, T, Kobayashi, K, Luo, Y, Penuelas, J, Sage, R, Suggett, DJ, Way, D & Long, S 2020, 'Civil disobedience movements such as School Strike for the Climate are raising public awareness of the climate change emergency', Global Change Biology. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14978
- Smith, P & Balmford, A 2020, 'Climate change: 'no get out of jail free card'', Veterinary Record, vol. 186, no. 71, pp. 71. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.m190
- Molotoks, A, Henry, R, Stehfest, E, Doelman, J, Havlík, P, Krisztin, T, Alexander, P, Dawson, TP & Smith, P 2020, 'Comparing the impact of future cropland expansion on global biodiversity and carbon storage across models and scenarios', Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, vol. 375, no. 1794, 20190189. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2019.0189
- Lu, T, Wang, X, Xu, M, Yu, Z, Luo, Y & Smith, P 2020, 'Dynamics of pedogenic carbonate in the cropland of the North China Plain: Influences of intensive cropping and salinization ', Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 292, 106820. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2020.106820
- Smith, P, Soussana, J-F, Angers, D, Schipper, L, Chenu, C, Rasse, DP, Batjes, NH, van Egmond, F, McNeill, S, Kuhnert, M, Arias-Navarro, C, Olesen, JE, Chirinda, N, Fornara, D, Wollenberg, E, Álvaro-Fuentes, J, Sanz-Cobeña, A & Klumpp, K 2020, 'How to measure, report and verify soil carbon change to realize the potential of soil carbon sequestration for atmospheric greenhouse gas removal', Global Change Biology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 219-241. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14815
- Guo, Y, Wang, X, Li, X, Xu, M, Li, Y, Zheng, H, Luo, Y & Smith, P 2020, 'Impacts of Land Use and Salinization on Soil Inorganic and Organic Carbon in the Middle-lower Yellow River Delta', Pedosphere.
- Griscom, BW, Busch, J, Cook-Patton, SC, Ellis, PW, Funk, J, Leavitt, SM, Lomax, G, Turner, WR, Chapman, M, Engelmann, J, Gurwick, NP, Landis, E, Lawrence, D, Malhi, Y, Schindler Murray, L, Navarrete, D, Roe, S, Scull, S, Smith, P, Streck, C, Walker, WS & Worthington, T 2020, 'National mitigation potential from natural climate solutions in the tropics', Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological sciences, vol. 375, no. 1794, 20190126. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2019.0126
- Henner, DN, Hastings, A, Pogson, M, McNamara, N, Davies, CA & Smith, P 2020, 'PopFor: A new model for estimating poplar yields ', Biomass & Bioenergy.
- Smith, J, Yeluripati, J, Smith, P & Nayak, DR 2020, 'Potential yield challenges to scale-up of zero budget natural farming', Nature Sustainability. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0469-x
- Godde, CM, de Boer, IJM, zu Ermgassen , E, Herrero, M, van Middelaar, CE, Muller, A, Röös, E, Schader, C, Smith, P, van Zanten, HHE & Garnett, T 2020, 'Soil carbon sequestration in grazing systems: managing expectations', Climatic Change.
- Rumpel, C, Amiraslani, F, Chenu, C, Cardenas, MG, Kaonga, M, Koutika, L-S, Ladha, J, Madari, B, Shirato, Y, Smith, P, Soudi, B, Soussana, J-F, Whitehead, D & Wollenberg, E 2020, 'The 4p1000 initiative: opportunities, limitations and challenges for implementing soil organic carbon sequestration as a sustainable development strategy', Ambio, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 350-360. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13280-019-01165-2
- Kayatz, B, Harris, F, Hillier, J, Adhya, TK, Dalin, C, Nayak, D, Green, RF, Smith, P & Dangour, AD 2019, '"More crop per drop": Exploring India's cereal water use since 2005', Science of the Total Environment, vol. 673, pp. 207-217. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.03.304
- Gambhir, A, Butnar, I, Li, P-H, Smith, P & Strachan, N 2019, 'A Review of Criticisms of Integrated Assessment Models and Proposed Approaches to Address These, through the Lens of BECCS', Energies, vol. 12, no. 9, 1747. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/en12091747
- Abdalla, M, Hastings, A, Cheng, K, Yue, Q, Chadwick, D, Espenberg, M, Truu, J, Rees, RM & Smith, P 2019, 'A critical review of the impacts of cover crops on nitrogen leaching, net greenhouse gas balance and crop productivity', Global Change Biology, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 2530-2543. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14644
- Ledo, A, Hillier, J, Smith, P, Aguilera, E, Blagodatskiy, S, Brearley, FQ, Datta, A, Diaz-Pines, E, Don, A, Dondini, M, Dunn, J, Feliciano, D, Lang, R, Liebig, MA, Llorente, M, Zinn, YL, McNamara, N, Ogle, SM, Qin, Z, Rovira, P, Rowe, R, Vicente-Vicente, JL, Whitaker, J, Yue, Q & Zerihun, A 2019, 'A global, empirical, harmonised dataset of soil organic carbon changes under perennial crops', Scientific Data, vol. 6, 57. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-019-0062-1
- Lefebvre, D, Goglio, P, Williams, A, Manning, DAC, de Azevedo, C, Bergmann, M, Meersmans, J & Smith, P 2019, 'Assessing the potential of soil carbonation and enhanced weathering through Life Cycle Assessment: A case study for Sao Paulo State, Brazil', Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 233, pp. 468-481. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.06.099
- Nayak, AK, Shahid, M, Nayak, AD, Dhal, B, Moharana, KC, Mondal, B, Tripathi, R, Mohapatra, SD, Bhattacharyya, P, Jambhulkar, NN, Shukla, AK, Fitton, N, Smith, P & Pathak, H 2019, 'Assessment of ecosystem services of rice farms in eastern India', Ecological Processes, vol. 8, no. 1, 35. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13717-019-0189-1
- Sykes, AJ, MacLeod, M, Eory, V, Rees, RM, Payen, F, Myrgiotis, V, Williams, M, Sohi, S, Hillier, J, Moran, D, Manning, DAC, Goglio, P, Seghetta, M, Williams, A, Harris, J, Dondini, M, Walton, J, House, J & Smith, P 2019, 'Characterising the biophysical, economic and social impacts of soil carbon sequestration as a greenhouse gas removal technology', Global Change Biology. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14844
- Sun, W, Canadell, JG, Yu, L, Yu, L, Zhang, W, Smith, P, Fischer, T & Huang, Y 2019, 'Climate drives global soil carbon sequestration and crop yield changes under conservation agriculture', Global Change Biology.
- Roe, S, Streck, C, Obersteiner, M, Frank, S, Griscom, B, Drouet, L, Fricko, O, Gusti, M, Harris, N, Hasegawa, T, Hausfather, Z, Havlík, P, House, J, Nabuurs, G-J, Popp, A, Sanz Sánchez, MJ, Sanderman, J, Smith, P, Stehfest, E & Lawrence, D 2019, 'Contribution of the land sector to a 1.5 °C world', Nature Climate Change, vol. 9, pp. 817-828. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41558-019-0591-9
- Vetter, SH, Sapkota, TB, Hillier, J, Stirling, CM, Macdiarmid, JI, Aleksandrowicz, L, Green, R, Joy, EJM, Dangour, AD & Smith, P 2019, 'Corrigendum to “Greenhouse gas emissions from agricultural food production to supply Indian diets: Implications for climate change mitigation” [Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 237 (2017) 234–241](S0167880916306065)(10.1016/j.agee.2016.12.024)', Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 272, pp. 83-85. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2018.11.012
- Sapkota, TB, Vetter, SH, Jat, ML, Sirohi, S, Shirsath, PB, Singh, R, Jat, HS, Smith, P, Hillier, J & Stirling, CM 2019, 'Cost-effective opportunities for climate change mitigation in Indian agriculture', Science of the Total Environment, vol. 655, pp. 1342-1354. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.11.225
- Harmsen, MJHM, van Vuuren, DP, Nayak, DR, Hof, AF, Höglund-Isaksson, L, Lucas, PL, Nielsen, JB, Smith, P & Stehfest, E 2019, 'Data for long-term marginal abatement cost curves of non-CO2 greenhouse gases', Data in brief, vol. 25, 104334. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2019.104334
- Hastings, A & Smith, P 2019, Decarbonizing anthropogenic activity: The oil and gas industry is a major component of the solution. in SPE Offshore Europe Conference and Exhibition, 3-6 September, Aberdeen, UK: Conference Proceedings., SPE-195716-MS, Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), SPE Offshore Europe Conference and Exhibition 2019, OE 2019, Aberdeen, United Kingdom, 3/09/19. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2118/195716-MS
- Yue, Q, Wu, H, Sun, J, Cheng, K, Smith, P, Hillier, J, Xu, X & Pan, G 2019, 'Deriving Emission Factors and Estimating Direct Nitrous Oxide Emissions for Crop Cultivation in China', Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 53, no. 17, pp. 10246-10257. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.9b01285
- Tripathi, R, Moharana, KC, Nayak, AD, Dhal, B, Shahid, M, Mondal, B, Mohapatra, SD, Bhattacharyya, P, Fitton, N, Smith, P, Shukla, AK, Pathak, H & Nayak, AK 2019, 'Ecosystem services in different agro-climatic zones in eastern India: impact of land use and land cover change', Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 191, no. 2, 98. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-019-7224-7
- Aleksandrowicz, L, Green, R, Joy, EJM, Harris, F, Hillier, J, Vetter, SH, Smith, P, Kulkarni, B, Dangour, AD & Haines, A 2019, 'Environmental impacts of dietary shifts in India: a modelling study using nationally-representative data', Environment International, vol. 126, pp. 207-215. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2019.02.004
- Yue, Q, Cheng, K, Ogle, S, Hillier, J, Smith, P, Abdalla, M, Sun, J & Pan, G 2019, 'Evaluation of four modelling approaches to estimate nitrous oxide emissions in China's cropland', Science of the Total Environment, vol. 652, pp. 1279-1289. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.10.336
- Butnar, I, Li, PH, Strachan, N, Pereira, JP, Gambhir, A & Smith, P 2019, 'Impacts of Enhanced Weathering on biomass production for negative emission technologies and soil hydrology', Environmental Research Letters. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-2019-386
- Porter, JR, Challinor, AJ, Henriksen, CB, Howden, SM, Martre, P & Smith, P 2019, 'Invited review: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, agriculture, and food—A case of shifting cultivation and history', Global Change Biology, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 2518-2529. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14700
- Oliveira, DMS, Cherubin, MR, Franco, ALC, Santos, AS, Gelain, JG, Dias, NMS, Diniz, TR, Almeida, AN, Feigl, BJ, Davies, CA, Paustian, K, Karlen, DL, Smith, P, Cerri, CC & Cerri, CEP 2019, 'Is the expansion of sugarcane over pasturelands a sustainable strategy for Brazil's bioenergy industry?', Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 102, pp. 346-355. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.12.012
- Harmsen, MJHM, van Vuuren, DP, Nayak, DR, Hof, AF, Höglund-Isaksson, L, Lucas, PL, Nielsen, JB, Smith, P & Stehfest, E 2019, 'Long-term marginal abatement cost curves of non-CO2 greenhouse gases', Environmental Science & Policy, vol. 99, pp. 136-149. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2019.05.013
- Novara, A, Pulido, M, Rodrigo-Comino, J, Di Prima, S, Smith, P, Gristina, L, Giminez-Morera, A, Terol, E, Salesa, D & Keesstra, S 2019, 'Long-term organic farming on a citrus plantation results in soil organic carbon recovery', Cuadernos de Investigación Geográfica, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 271-286. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.18172/cig.3794
- Soussana, JF, Lutfalla, S, Ehrhardt, F, Rosenstock, T, Lamanna, C, Havlík, P, Richards, M, Wollenberg, E, Chotte, JL, Torquebiau, E, Ciais, P, Smith, P & Lal, R 2019, 'Matching policy and science: Rationale for the '4 per 1000 - soils for food security and climate' initiative', Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 188, pp. 3-15. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2017.12.002
- Shang, Z, Abdalla, M, Kuhnert, M, Albanito, F, Zhou, F, Xia, L & Smith, P 2020, 'Measurement of N2O emissions over the whole year is necessary for estimating reliable emission factors', Environmental Pollution, vol. 259, 113864. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2019.113864
- Albanito, F, Hastings, A, Fitton, N, Richards, M, Martin, M, Mac Dowell, N, Bell, D, Taylor, SC, Butnar, I, Li, PH, Slade, R & Smith, P 2019, 'Mitigation potential and environmental impact of centralized versus distributed BECCS with domestic biomass production in Great Britain', Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1234-1252. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12630
- Fitton, N, Bindi, M, Brilli, L, Chicota, R, Dibari, C, Fuchs, K, Huguenin-Elie, O, Klumpp, K, Lieffering, M, Lüscher, A, Martin, R, McAuliffe, R, Merbold, L, Newton, P, Rees, RM, Smith, P, Topp, CFE & Snow, V 2019, 'Modelling biological N fixation and grass-legume dynamics with process-based biogeochemical models of varying complexity', European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 106, pp. 58-66. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eja.2019.03.008
- Begum, K, Kuhnert, M, Yeluripati, JB, Ogle, S, Parton, WJ, Williams, SA, Pan, G, Cheng, K, Ali, MA & Smith, P 2019, 'Modelling greenhouse gas emissions and mitigation potentials in fertilized paddy rice fields in Bangladesh', Geoderma, vol. 341, pp. 206-215. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2019.01.047
- Fuchs, K, Merbold, L, Buchmann, N, Bretscher, D, Brilli, L, Fitton, N, Topp, CFE, Klumpp, K, Lieffering, M, Martin, R, Newton, PCD, Rees, RM, Rolinski, S, Smith, P & Snow, V 2019, 'Multi–model evaluation of nitrous oxide emissions from an intensively managed grassland', Journal of geophysical research-Biogeosciences. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1029/2019JG005261
- Anderson, CM, DeFries, RS, Litterman, R, Matson, PA, Nepstad, DC, Pacala, S, Schlesinger, WH, Shaw, MR, Smith, P, Weber, C & Field, CB 2019, 'Natural climate solutions are not enough', Science, vol. 363, no. 6430, pp. 933-934. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aaw2741
- Zhang, C, Ju, X, Powlson, D, Oenema, O & Smith, P 2019, 'Nitrogen Surplus Benchmarks for Controlling N Pollution in the Main Cropping Systems of China', Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 6678-6687. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.8b06383
- Ferretto, A, Brooker, R, Aitkenhead, M, Matthews, R & Smith, P 2019, 'Potential carbon loss from Scottish peatlands under climate change', Regional Environmental Change, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 2101-2111. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-019-01550-3
- Nayak, D & Smith, P 2019, Review and Comparison of Models used for Land Allocation and Nature Valuation.
- Eyhorn, F, Muller, A, Reganold, JP, Frison, E, Herren, HR, Luttikholt, L, Mueller, A, Sanders, J, Scialabba, N, Seufert, V & Smith, P 2019, 'Sustainability in global agriculture driven by organic farming', Nature Sustainability, vol. 2, pp. 253-255. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0266-6
- Kavian, A, Alipour, A, Soleimani, K, Gholami, L, Smith, P & Rodrigo-Comino, J 2019, 'The increase of rainfall erosivity and initial soil erosion processes due to rainfall acidification', Hydrological Processes, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 261-270. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.13323
- Ding, J, Wang, T, Piao, S, Smith, P, Zhang, G, Yan, Z, Ren, S, Liu, D, Wang, S, Chen, S, Dai, F, He, J-S, Li, Y, Liu, Y, Mao, J, Arain, A, Tian, H, Shi, X, Yang, Y, Zeng, N & Zhao, L 2019, 'The paleoclimatic footprint in the soil carbon stock of the Tibetan permafrost region', Nature Communications, vol. 10, 4195. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-12214-5
- Hall, C, Macdiarmid, JI, Matthews, RB, Smith, P, Hubbard, SF & Dawson, TP 2019, 'The relationship between forest cover and diet quality: a case study of rural southern Malawi', Food Security, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 635-650. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12571-019-00923-0
- Fitton, N, Alexander, P, Arnell, N, Bajzelj, B, Calvin, K, Doelman, J, Gerber, JS, Havlik, P, Hasegawa, T, Herrero, M, Krisztin, T, van Meijl, H, Powell, T, Sands, R, Stehfest, E, West, PC & Smith, P 2019, 'The vulnerabilities of agricultural land and food production to future water scarcity', Global Environmental Change, vol. 58, 101944. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2019.101944
- Rineau, F, Malina, R, Beenaerts, N, Arnauts, N, Bardgett, RD, Berg, MP, Boerema, A, Bruckers, L, Clerinx, J, Davin, EL, De Boeck, HJ, De Dobbelaer, T, Dondini, M, De Laender, F, Ellers, J, Franken, O, Gilbert, L, Gudmundsson, L, Janssens, IA, Johnson, D, Lizin, S, Longdoz, B, Meire, P, Meremans, D, Milbau, A, Moretti, M, Nijs, I, Nobel, A, Pop, IS, Puetz, T, Reyns, W, Roy, J, Schuetz, J, Seneviratne, SI, Smith, P, Solmi, F, Staes, J, Thiery, W, Thijs, S, Vanderkelen, I, Van Landuyt, W, Verbruggen, E, Witters, N, Zscheischler, J & Vangronsveld, J 2019, 'Towards more predictive and interdisciplinary climate change ecosystem experiments', Nature Climate Change, vol. 9, pp. 809-816. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41558-019-0609-3
- Lippe, M, Bithell, M, Gotts, N, Natalini, D, Barbrook-Johnson, P, Giupponi, C, Hallier, M, Hofstede, GJ, Le Page, C, Matthews, RB, Schlüter, M, Smith, P, Teglio, A & Thellmann, K 2019, 'Using agent-based modelling to simulate social-ecological systems across scales', GeoInformatica, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 269-298. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10707-018-00337-8
- Fry, EL, De Long, JR, ÁlvarezGarrido, L, Alvarez, N, Carrillo, Y, Castañeda-Gómez, L, Chomel, M, Dondini, M, Drake, JE, Hasegawa, S, Hortal, S, Jackson, BG, Jiang, M, Lavallee, JM, Medlyn, BM, Rhymes, J, Singh, BK, Smith, P, Anderson, IC, Bardgett, RD, Baggs, EM & Johnson, D 2019, 'Using plant, microbe and soil fauna traits to improve the predictive power of biogeochemical models', Methods in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 146-157. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.13092
- Shang, Z, Zhou, F, Smith, P, Saikawa, E, Ciais, P, Chang, J, Tian, H, Del Grosso, SJ, Ito, A, Chen, M, Wang, Q, Bo, Y, Cui, X, Castaldi, S, Juszczak, R, Kasimir, Å, Magliulo, E, Medinets, S, Medinets, V, Rees, RM, Wohlfahrt, G & Sabbatini, S 2019, 'Weakened growth of cropland‐N2O emissions in China associated with nationwide policy interventions', Global Change Biology, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 3706-3719. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14741
- Smith, P, Calvin, K, Nkem, J, Campbell, D, Cherubini, F, Grassi, G, Korotkov, V, Hoang, AL, Lwasa, S, McElwee, P, Nkonya, E, Saigusa, N, Soussana, J-F, Taboada, MA, Manning, F, Nampanzira, D, Arias-Navarro, C, Vizzarri, M, House, J, Roe, S, Cowie, A, Rounsevell, M & Arneth, A 2019, 'Which practices co-deliver food security, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and combat land-degradation and desertification?', Global Change Biology. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14878
- Rahman, ZU, Khan, B, Ahmada, I, Mian, IA, Saeed, A, Afaq, A, Khan, A, Smith, P & Mianh, AA 2018, 'A review of groundwater fluoride contamination in Pakistan and an assessment of the risk of fluorosis', Fluoride, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 171-181.
- Dean, JF, van der Velde, Y, Garnett, MH, Dinsmore, KJ, Baxter, R, Lessels, JS, Smith, P, Street, LE, Subke, J-A, Tetzlaff, D, Washbourne, I, Wookey, PA & Billett, MF 2018, 'Abundant pre-industrial carbon detected in Canadian Arctic headwaters: implications for the permafrost carbon feedback', Environmental Research Letters, vol. 13, no. 3, 034024. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aaa1fe
- Ehrhardt, F, Soussana, J-F, Bellocchi, G, Grace, P, McAuliffe, R, Recous, S, Sándor, R, Smith, P, Snow, V, Migliorati, MDA, Basso, B, Bhatia, A, Brilli, L, Doltra, J, Dorich, CD, Doro, L, Fitton, N, Giacomini, SJ, Grant, B, Harrison, MT, Jones, SK, Kirschbaum, MUF, Klumpp, K, Laville, P, Léonard, J, Liebig, M, Lieffering, M, Martin, R, Massad, RS, Meier, E, Merbold, L, Moore, AD, Myrgiotis, V, Newton, P, Pattey, E, Rolinski, S, Sharp, J, Smith, WN, Wu, L & Zhang, Q 2018, 'Assessing uncertainties in crop and pasture ensemble model simulations of productivity and N2O emissions', Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 603-616. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.13965
- Heckle, R, Smith, P, Macdiarmid, J, Campbell, E & Abbott, P 2018, 'Beekeeping adoption: A case study of three smallholder farming communities in Baringo County, Kenya', Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 1-11.
- Smith, P & Porter, JR 2018, 'Bioenergy in the IPCC Assessments', Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 428-431. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12514
- Pikaar, I, de Vrieze, J, Rabaey, K, Herrero, M, Smith, P & Verstraete, W 2018, 'Carbon emission avoidance and capture by producing in-reactor microbial biomass based food, feed and slow release fertilizer: potentials and limitations', Science of the Total Environment, vol. 644, pp. 1525-1530. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.07.089
- Neumann, M & Smith, P 2018, 'Carbon uptake by European agricultural land is variable, and in many regions could be increased: Evidence from remote sensing, yield statistics and models of potential productivity', Science of the Total Environment, vol. 643, pp. 902-911. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.268
- Gao, B, Huang, T, Ju, X, Gu, B, Huang, W, Xu, L, Rees, RM, Powlson, DS, Smith, P & Cui, S 2018, 'Chinese cropping systems are a net source of greenhouse gases despite soil carbon sequestration', Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 5590-5606. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14425
- Gu, B, Ju, X, Wu, Y, Erisman, JW, Bleeker, A, Reis, S, Sutton, MA, Lam, SK, Smith, P, Oenema, O, Smith, RI, Lu, X, Ye, X & Chen, D 2018, 'Cleaning up nitrogen pollution may reduce future carbon sinks', Global Environmental Change, vol. 48, pp. 56-66. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2017.10.007
- Jafari, M, Smith, P & KhosrowPour, M 2018, Climate Change as a Driving Force on Urban Energy Consumption Patterns. in Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology. 4th edn, IGI Global, pp. 7815-7830. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-2255-3.ch680
- Whitaker, J, Field, JL, Bernacchi, CJ, Cerri, CEP, Ceulemans, R, Davies, CA, Delucia, EH, Donnison, IS, McCalmont, JP, Paustian, K, Rowe, RL, Smith, P, Thornley, P & Mcnamara, NP 2018, 'Consensus, uncertainties and challenges for perennial bioenergy crops and land use', Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 150-164. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12488
- Abdalla, M, Hastings, A, Chadwick, DR, Jones, DL, Evans, CD, Jones, MB, Rees, RM & Smith, P 2018, 'Critical review of the impacts of grazing intensity on soil organic carbon storage and other soil quality indicators in extensively managed grasslands', Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 253, pp. 62-81. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.10.023
- Schipper, L & Smith, P 2018, 'Deforestation may increase soil carbon but it is unlikely to be continuous or unlimited', Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 557-558. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.13999
- Tu, C, He, T, Lu, X, Luo, Y & Smith, P 2018, 'Extent to which pH and topographic factors control soil organic carbon level in dry farming cropland soils of the mountainous region of Southwest China', Catena, vol. 163, pp. 204-209. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2017.12.028
- Hastings, A, Smith, P, Clifton-Brown, J & Taylor, G 2018, 'Future biomass supply for low carbon European energy provision in a changing world', TERRAenVISION Environmental Issues Today, Barcelona, Spain, 29/01/18 - 2/02/18 pp. 1-2.
- Pretty, J, Benton, TG, Bharucha, ZP, Dicks, LV, Flora, CB, Godfray, HCJ, Goulson, D, Hartley, S, Lampkin, N, Morris, C, Pierzynski, G, Prasad, PVV, Reganold, J, Rockström, J, Smith, P, Thorne, P & Wratten, S 2018, 'Global assessment of agricultural system redesign for sustainable intensification', Nature Sustainability, vol. 1, no. 8, pp. 441-446. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-018-0114-0
- Molotoks, A, Stehfest, E, Doelman, J, Albanito, F, Fitton, N, Dawson, TP & Smith, P 2018, 'Global projections of future cropland expansion to 2050 and direct impacts on biodiversity and carbon storage', Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 5895-5908. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14459
- Green, RF, Joy, EJM, Harris, F, Agrawal, S, Aleksandrowicz, L, Hillier, J, Macdiarmid, JI, Milner, J, Vetter, SH, Smith, P, Haines, A & Dangour, AD 2018, 'Greenhouse gas emissions and water footprints of typical dietary patterns in India', Science of the Total Environment, vol. 643, pp. 1411-1418. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.258
- Smith, P, price, J, Molotoks, A, Warren, R & Malhi, Y 2018, 'Impacts on terrestrial biodiversity of moving from a 2°C to a 1.5°C target', Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series A, vol. 376, no. 2119, 20160456. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2016.0456
- Smith, P 2018, 'Managing the global land resource', Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. B, Biological Sciences, vol. 285, no. 1874, 20172798. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2017.2798
- Santangeli, A, Butchart, SHM, Pogson, M, Hastings, A, Smith, P, Girardello, M & Moilanen, A 2018, 'Mapping the global potential exposure of soaring birds to terrestrial wind energy expansion', Ornis Fennica, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 1-14.
- Reay, DS, Smith, P, Christensen, TR, James, RH & Clark, H 2018, 'Methane and global environmental change', Annual Review of Environment and Resources, vol. 43, pp. 165-192. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-environ-102017-030154
- Begum, K, Kuhnert, M, Yeluripati, J, Ogle, S, Parton, W, Kader, MA & Smith, P 2018, 'Model Based Regional Estimates of Soil Organic Carbon Sequestration and Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Potentials from Rice Croplands in Bangladesh', Land, vol. 7, no. 3, 82. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/land7030082
- Senapati, N, Chabbi, A & Smith, P 2018, 'Modelling daily to seasonal carbon fluxes and annual net ecosystem carbon balance of cereal grain-cropland using DailyDayCent: A model data comparison', Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 252, pp. 159-177. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.10.003
- De Ruiter, HR, Macdiarmid, JI, Matthews, RB & Smith, P 2018, 'Moving beyond calories and protein: Micronutrient assessment of UK diets and land use', Global Environmental Change, vol. 52, pp. 108-116. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2018.06.007
- Minx, JC, Lamb, WF, Callaghan, MW, Fuss, S, Hilaire, J, Creutzig, F, Amann, T, Beringer, T, Garcia, WDO, Hartmann, J, Khanna, T, Lenzi, D, Luderer, G, Nemet, GF, Rogelj, J, Smith, P, Vicente, JLV, Wilcox, J & Dominguez, MDMZ 2018, 'Negative emissions-Part 1: Research landscape and synthesis', Environmental Research Letters, vol. 13, no. 6, 063001. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aabf9b
- Fuss, S, Lamb, WF, Callaghan, MW, Hilaire, J, Creutzig, F, Amann, T, Beringer, T, Garcia, WDO, Hartmann, J, Khanna, T, Luderer, G, Nemet, GF, Rogelj, J, Smith, P, Vicente, JLV, Wilcox, J, Dominguez, MDMZ & Minx, JC 2018, 'Negative emissions-Part 2: Costs, potentials and side effects', Environmental Research Letters, vol. 13, no. 6, 063002. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aabf9f
- Nemet, GF, Callaghan, MW, Creutzig, F, Fuss, S, Hartmann, J, Hilaire, J, Lamb, WF, Minx, JC, Rogers, S & Smith, P 2018, 'Negative emissions-Part 3: Innovation and upscaling', Environmental Research Letters, vol. 13, no. 6, 063003. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aabff4
- Zhang, D, Wang, H, Pan, J, Luo, J, Liu, J, Gu, B, Liu, S, Zhai, L, Lindsey, S, Zhang, Y, Lei, Q, Wu, S, Smith, P & Liu, H 2018, 'Nitrogen application rates need to be reduced for half of the rice paddy fields in China', Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 265, pp. 8-14. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2018.05.023
- Ledo, A, Heathcote, R, Hastings, A, Smith, P & Hillier, J 2018, 'Perennial-GHG: A new generic allometric model to estimate biomass accumulation and greenhouse gas emissions in perennial food and bioenergy crops', Environmental Modelling and Software, vol. 102, pp. 292-305. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2017.12.005
- Dondini, M, Abdalla, M, Aini, FK, Albanito, F, Beckert, MR, Begum, K, Brand, A, Cheng, K, Comeau, L-P, Jones, EO, Farmer, JA, Feliciano, DMS, Fitton, N, Hastings, A, Henner, DN, Kuhnert, M, Nayak, DR, Oyesikublakemore, J, Phillips, L, Richards, MIA, Tumwesige, V, van Dijk, WFA, Vetter, SH, Coleman, K, Smith, J & Smith, P 2018, Projecting soil under future climate and land use scenarios (Modelling). in BK Singh (ed.), Soil Carbon Storage. Academic Press, pp. 281-309. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-812766-7.00009-3
- Rumpel, C, Amiraslani, F, Koutika, L-S, Smith, P, Whitehead, D & Wollenberg, E 2018, 'Put more carbon in soils to meet Paris climate pledges', Nature, vol. 564, no. 7734, pp. 32-34. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-018-07587-4
- Yue, Q, Ledo, A, Cheng, K, Albanito, F, Lebender, U, Sapkota, TB, Brentrup, F, Stirling, CM, Smith, P, Sun, J, Pan, G & Hillier, J 2018, 'Re-assessing nitrous oxide emissions from croplands across Mainland China', Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 268, pp. 70-78. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2018.09.003
- Ghaley, BB, Wosten, H, Olesen, JE, Schelde, K, Baby, S, Karki, YK, Borgesen, CD, Smith, P, Yeluripati, J, Ferrise, R, Bindi, M, Kuikman, P, Lesschen, J-P & Porter, JR 2018, 'Simulation of Soil Organic Carbon Effects on Long-Term Winter Wheat (Triticum aestivum) Production Under Varying Fertilizer Inputs', Frontiers in plant science, vol. 9, 1158. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2018.01158
- Basso, B, Dumont, B, Maestrini, B, Shcherbak, I, Robertson, GP, Porter, JR, Smith, P, Paustian, K, Grace, PR, Asseng, S, Bassu, S, Biernath, C, Boote, KJ, Cammarano, D, de Sanctis, G, Durand, J-L, Ewert, F, Gayler, S, Grant, R, Hyndman, DW, Kent, J, Martre, P, Nendel, C, Priesack, E, Ripoche, D, Ruane, AC, Sharp, J, Thorburn, PJ, Hatfield, JL, Jones, JW & Rosenzweig, C 2018, 'Soil Organic Carbon and Nitrogen Feedbacks on Crop Yields under Climate Change', Agricultural & Environmental Letters, vol. 3, no. 1, 180026. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2134/ael2018.05.0026
- Lugato, E, Smith, P, Borrelli, P, Panagos, P, Ballabio, C, Orgiazzi, A, Fernandez-Ugalde, O, Montanarella, L & Jones, A 2018, 'Soil erosion is unlikely to drive a future carbon sink in Europe', Science Advances, vol. 4, no. 11, eaau3523. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aau3523
- Albanito, F, Fitton, N & Smith, P 2018, Soil management for Advancing SDG 13 (Climate Action). in R Lal, R Horn & T Kosaki (eds), Soil and Sustainable Development Goals., 6, International Union of Soil Sciences, vol. 2018, International Union of Soil Sciences.
- Begum, K, Kuhnert, M, Yeluripati, J, Ogle, S, Parton, W, Kader, MA & Smith, P 2018, 'Soil organic carbon sequestration and mitigation potential in a rice cropland in Bangladesh: a modelling approach', Field Crops Research, vol. 226, pp. 16-27. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2018.07.001
- Lal, R, Smith, P, Jungkunst, HF, Mitsch, WJ, Lehmann, J, Ramachandran Nair, PK, McBratney, AB, De Moraes Sá, JC, Schneider, J, Zinn, YL, Skorupa, ALA, Zhang, HL, Minasny, B, Srinivasrao, C & Ravindranath, NH 2018, 'The carbon sequestration potential of terrestrial ecosystems', Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 145A-152A. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2489/jswc.73.6.145A
- Smith, P, Lutfalla, S, Riley, WJ, Torn, MS, Schmidt, MWI & Soussana, J-F 2018, 'The changing faces of soil organic matter research', European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 23-30. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ejss.12500
- Balmford, A, Amano, T, Bartlett, H, Chadwick, D, Collins, A, Edwards, D, Field, R, Garnsworthy, P, Green, R, Smith, P, Waters, H, Whitmore, A, Broom, D, Chara, J, Finch, T, Garnett, E, Gathorne-Hardy, A, Hernandez-Medrano, J, Herrero, M, Hua, F, Latawiec, A, Misselbrook, T, Phalan, B, Simmons, B, Takahashi, T, Vause, J, zu Ermgassen , E & Eisner, R 2018, 'The environmental costs and benefits of high-yield farming', Nature Sustainability, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 477-485. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-018-0138-5
- Alcalde, J, Smith, P, Haszeldine, RS & Bond, CE 2018, 'The potential for implementation of Negative Emission Technologies in Scotland', International journal of greenhouse gas control, vol. 76, pp. 85-91. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2018.06.021
- Vetter, SH, Malin, D, Smith, P & Hillier, J 2018, 'The potential to reduce GHG emissions in egg production using a GHG calculator: a Cool Farm Tool case study', Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 202, pp. 1068-1076. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.199
- Sándor, R, Ehrhardt, F, Brilli, L, Carozzi, M, Recous, S, Smith, P, Snow, V, Soussana, J-F, Dorich, CD, Fuchs, K, Fitton, N, Gongadze, K, Klumpp, K, Liebig, M, Martin, R, Merbold, L, Newton, PCD, Rees, RM, Rolinski, S & Bellocchi, G 2018, 'The use of biogeochemical models to evaluate mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions from managed grasslands', Science of the Total Environment, vol. 642, pp. 292-306. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.020
- Robertson, AD, Whitaker, J, Morrison, R, Davies, CA, Smith, P & Mcnamara, NP 2017, 'A Miscanthus plantation can be carbon neutral without increasing soil carbon stocks', Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 645-661. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12397
- Merante, P, Dibari, C, Ferrise, R, Sánchez, B, Iglesias, A, Lesschen, JP, Kuikman, P, Yeluripati, J, Smith, P & Bindi, M 2017, 'Adopting soil organic carbon management practices in soils of varying quality: Implications and perspectives in Europe ', Soil & Tillage Research, vol. 165, pp. 95-106. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2016.08.001