Chair in Plant & Soil Science
After obtaining a PhD in 1991, Pete Smith worked as a Higher- then Senior-Scientific Officer at the MAFF Central Science Laboratory until 1994. He then worked as a Band 6 and Band 5 Senior Research Scientist at Rothamsted Research before joining the University of Aberdeen as a Senior Lecturer in 2001.
He became a Reader in 2003, and Professor of Soils & Global Change in 2005. His main areas of expertise are in modelling greenhouse gas / carbon mitigation, bioenergy, biological carbon sequestration, global food systems modelling and greenhouse gas removal technologies.
He is co-leader with Prof Jo Smith of the Environmental Modelling Group (2 Academic staff, 2 Senior Reseatch Fellows, 18 Post-docs, 19 PhDs). He is also Science Director of Scotland's Climate Change Centre of Expertise (www.climatexchange.org.uk), and was Director of Food Systems of the Scottish Food Security Alliance-Crops (www.sfsa-crops.org), and Theme Leader of the University-wide theme, Environment and Food Security (www.abdn.ac.uk/environment-food-security/), until 2015. He is editor for Global Change Biology and Global Change Biology Bioenergy.
He was a Royal Society-Wolfson Research Merit Award holder (2008-2013), Royal Society Research Fellow (2008-201?3), and is a Fellow of the Society of Biology (FSB; elected 2008), Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE; elected 2009), a Rothamsted Research Fellow (2010-2015) and Fellow of the Royal Society (London; elected 2017).
Global change impacts on ecosystems, soils, agricultural and land based options to mitigate climate change, greenhouse gas emissions, environmental and agricultural sustainability, global carbon cycle, ecosystem modelling, food security, ecosystem services, bioenergy (including BECCS)
Numerous projects on the above areas funded mainly by the research councils and the EU
Funding during last 10 years
Title Funding body Dates Partner share (£) China Partnership Award – SOC dynamics in forest ecosystems BBSRC 01/04/04-31/03/07 24820 CarboEurope-IP EU 01/01/04-31/12/08 289286 SEAMLESS-IP (WP2) EU 01/01/05-31/12/08 45000 Coupling soil C & N models to GCMs Hadley Centre/Defra 01/06/05-31/08/06 50000 NitroEurope-IP EU 01/04/06-30/03/11 298480 Quantifying the role of ecosystems in the carbon cycle (QUERCC) NERC-QUEST 01/10/05-30/04/09 164372 TSEC-Biosys NERC-TSEC 01/10/05-30/09/08 138374 CarboEurope-GHG EU 01/01/02-31/12/05 41500 Environment Agency EA 15/01/05-30/04/05 2500 Biofuel review SEERAD 45018 Discretionary - - UK Emissions by Sources and Removals by sinks due to land-use, Land-use change and forestry NERC-CEH/DEFRA 01/05/06-30/04/09 58622 Support for SSSA Annual meeting in Utah Royal Society 01/11/05-30/11/05 3500 Astley PhD 6th Century Studenship PICCMAT EU 01/01/07-31/12/08 43386 UK Bio energy crop suitability mapping study Defra 01/02/07-07/03/07 5000 Managing soil organic carbon in Irish agricultural systems Irish-Dept. Ag. & Food via Trinity College Dublin 01/10/08-30/09/10 70000 QUEST-GSI NERC-QUEST 01/04/07-30/03/09 101151 Cruickshank Trust Fund Cruickshank Trust Fund 10/06/07-31/08/07 2315 ClimSoil EU 15/01/08-15/10/08 22815 QUATERMASS NERC-QUEST 01/11/07-31/10/09 140821 Modelling agricultural land management practices Met Office / Hadley Centre 28/04/08-31/10/08 49550 Carbon Finance Project Methodology World Bank 01/06/08-31/05/10 15440 Upland ecosystem: carbon storage and sequestration Natural England 15/10/08-14/11/08 3000 SP0567 Assembling UK-wide data on soil carbon (and greenhouse gas fluxes) in the context of land management Defra 1/11/08-31/12/10 41119 Potential GHG impacts of future LULUCF activities in developed countries Defra 1/11/08-30/04/09 30000 DEFRA soil threats Defra 01/01/09-31/12/09 32000 Review of GHG emissions from agriculture International Fertiliser Association 01/12/08-31/04/09 18201 CC-TAME EU 01/06/08-30/05/11 140504 Carbo-Extreme EU 01/06/09-30/05/12 199125 BESSA NERC 01/01/09-31/12/09 15838 NERC Robinson/Smith/Millard/Midwood Project NERC 01/09/09-30/08/12 500000 QESM Methane NERC 30/04/09-31/12/09 47000 Roadmaps Integrating RTD in Developing Realistic GHG Mitigation Options from Agriculture up to 2030 DECC 01/04/09-31/03/10 2100 PhD Emily Bottoms CEH 01/04/08-31/03/11 Royal Society-Wolfson research Merit Award Royal Society 01/10/08-30/09/13 62500 Are tropical uplands regional hotspots for methane and nitrous oxide? NERC 01/03/10-28/02/13 358391 Estimates of future agricultural greenhouse gas emissions and mitigation in China Defra/DfID 01/11/09-30/10/12 425569 GHG Europe EU 01/01/10-30/09/13 324687 Provide a Quantitative Estimate of and Review the Contribution of Priority Habitats to Mitigation of Climate Change Defra 01/01/10-30/03/11 42,140 Spatial mapping and evaluation of energy crop distribution in GB to 2050 NERC/UKERC 01/04/10-30/10/11 110179 GACA Unilever 01/04/10-30/04/11 21104 CARBONES EU 01/05/10-30/04/13 87273 Review of GHG emissions from agriculture Unilever 01/05/10-31/05/10 3783 Policy options for LULUCF in Europe EU 10/11/09-09/11/10 8244 GHG emissions from agriculture Princeton / HP Foundation 01/05/10-30/08/10 6667 Accounting for the GHG impacts of LULUC due to biobased ingredients Unilever 22/08/10-31/03/11 47336 Interaction between C, N and water in UK soils (Homan Wong's PhD) NERC 01/04/10-30/09/13 75000 UK NEA Coordinating Lead Author fund UNEP 01/07/10-31/03/10 10000 Scoping study SP1105-populating the land use cmponent of the LULUCF GHG Inventory Defra/NERC 01/07/10-02/03/10 32653 India Partnering award BBSRC 01/05/10-30/04/14 24476 GHG mitigation from Chinese agriculture NERC 01/07/10-31/11/10 6352 Development of an assessment on GHG emissions from the agricultural sector FAO 24/08/10-23/11/10 7700 Jenny Farmer PhD project CLSM/Macaulay 01/09/09-30/08/12 3000 Cool livestock farming in Europe Greenpeace International 01/11/10-30/04/11 4315 Jon Hillier KET Award University of Aberdeen 12/12/10-30/07/10 12175 InveN2Ory Defra 01/12/10-31/03/15 694858 Data management and modelling for the agricultural GHG inventory Defra 01/12/10-31/03/15 60000 Andy Robertson PhD Shell/CEH 01/02/11-31/01/14 48000 Centre of Expertise on Climate Change - Mitigation Scottish Government 01/04/11-31/03/14 452530 Committee on Climate Change - Bioenergy Expert CCC 01/04/11-31/12/11 6674 ELUM ETI 01/06/11-31/04/14 599800 Centre of Expertise on Climate Change - Directorate Scottish Government 01/04/11-31/03/16 210000 RSE International Exchange Programme India Royal Society of Edinburgh 19/09/11-16/10/11 2100 SmartSoil EU 01/11/11-30/10/14 299540 Iniobong Essiet PhD College funding CLSM 01/10/11-30/09/14 9000 IPCC CLA Support DECC 01/04/11-31/03/14 30000 Impact on global ecosystem services of UK energy supply UKERC 01/01/12-31/03/14 300000 SEER ESRC 01/03/12-31/12/12 43619 RSE International Exchange Programme (Rafaele Casa) Royal Society of Edinburgh 02/06/12-23/06/12 1813 Saana Tykka's PhD fund James Hutton Institute 01/10/12-31/03/16 42000 Permafrost catchments in transition: hydrological controls on carbon cycling and greenhouse gas budgets NERC 01/10/12-31/09/16 273875 FACCE-JPI MACSUR Cropland Hub BBSRC 01/08/12-31/07/15 64734 EFS Theme Budget University of Aberdeen 01/09/12-31/08/13 30000 Saana Tykka - 51232501 -RTSG PhD funding University of Aberdeen 01/09/12-31/03/16 3000 Joseph Oyesiku-Blakemore - 51233548-RTSG PhD funding University of Aberdeen 01/09/12-31/03/16 3000 GREENHOUSE NERC 01/04/13-31/03/17 211388 Pete Smith secondment to the JHI (10%) James Hutton Institute 01/08/12-31/03/16 61070 The Counterfactual land uses to bioenergy crops (Phase I and II) DECC 01/12/12-31/01/14 170000 Capture crop and grassland management impact in UK soil carbon LULUCF Inventory Defra 22/10/12-28/02/14 98094 Wales Glastir Axis II Project Welsh Government 01/05/13-31/08/14 51823 Khadiza Begum PhD fund CLSM 01/08/13-30/07/16 3000 Henri de Ruiter's PhD fund EFS Theme 01/10/13-31/03/17 17500 Impacts of sugar cane production in Brazil BBSRC 31/07/14-30/07/18 48980 Genome-wide association mapping and landscape scale modelling of heritable ionomic diversity in Arabidopsis thaliana populations BBSRC 01/09/13-31/08/16 236132 BALI project 01/04/14-31/03/18 209366 Total 8596277
- Further Info
- Science Director of Scotland’s Climate Change Centre of Expertise (2011-present)
- Director-Food Systems of the Scottish Food Security Alliance – Crops (2013-present)
- Theme Leader of cross-University theme on Environment & Food Security (2012-present)
- Convening Lead Author for Agriculture and Forestry Chapter of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fifth Assessment Report,Mitigation volume (2010-2014)
- Convening Lead Author of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report, Mitigation volume, Chapter 8 Agriculture (2004-2007)
- Lead Author of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Good Practice Guidelines 2006 (2004-2006)
- Convening Lead Author of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Good Practice Guidelines for Greenhouse Gas Inventories for Land-Use, Land-Use Change & Forestry (2002-2004).
- Scientific Steering Group member of International Soil Carbon Network (2013-present)
- Member of Defra’s Science Advisory Council (2011-2013)
- Science Leader (and management committee member) for the UK community land surface model of the UK globalclimatemodel: JULES (soil C & N component) (2007-present).
- Expert Advisor on bioenergy issues to UK Committee on Climate Change (2011)
- UK National Ecosystem Assessment Expert Group Member (2009-2011)
- Coordinating Lead Author forUKNational Ecosystem Assessment Chapter on Regulating Services (2009-2011).
- UKForesight Project on Global Food and Farming Futures,Expert Review Leader on Competition for Land (2009-2010).
- Member of Programme Development Group for the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (2008-2013).
- New Zealand Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Research Centre’s International Science Advisory Group (ISAG) (2010-present).
- Royal Society of Edinburgh Convener for the Organismal and Environmental Biology sectional committee (A3) (2011-2013)
- Royal Society of Edinburgh Fellowship Committee Member (2009-2013)
- Royal Society of Edinburgh BP Fellowship Committee Member (2010-present)
- Steering Committee Member of European Union – Framework V/VI CarboEurope Consortium (2002-2003)
- Lead Author for the IPCC Special Report on Land Use, Land-Use Change and Forestry (published in 2000)
- Member of IPCC/OECD Working Group on the IPCC Revised Guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories (1996)
- Chair of Global Change and Terrestrial Ecosystems (GCTE)’s Global Soil Organic Matter Network (SOMNET) (1996-2002)
- Co-leader of GCTE's research focus on Soil Organic Matter (1996-2000)
- Professorial selection committee for Danish Institute of Ag. Sciences (2002-2003)
- NERC/BBSRC Soil Science Advisory Committee member (2003-2008)
- Member of the International Geosphere Biosphere Program (IGBP) Global Carbon Cycle Project (1998-present).
- Chair and Convenor of EU-Terrestrial Ecosystems Research Initiative (TERI) Workgroup 8 on Policy Conflicts in Terrestrial Ecosystems Research (1999)
- Management Committee of EU-COST Action 627 “Carbon Storage in Grasslands” (2000-2006)
- Workgroup 3 (modelling) Chair of EU-COST Action 627 “Carbon Storage in Grasslands” (2000-2006)
- European Climate Change Programme Working Group Agriculture (WG7) member (2001)
- European Climate Change Programme Working Group “Soil Carbon Sinks” (WG7a) member (2002)
- European Climate Change Programme Working Group Research (WG6) member (2001)
- Member of Scientific Organising Committee of European Society of Agronomy (ESA) annual modelling symposia 1999 and 2001
- International Review Panel member of Australian Greenhouse Office National Carbon Accounting System (1999-present)
- International Scientific Steering Committee member of the Federal US-funded multi-institutional project on carbon sequestration inUSagriculture, CASMGS (2001-2005).
- Steering Committee of International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development-International Policy Council Platform on Climate Change, Agriculture and Trade (2009-2010)
- UK Co Chair of Climate Mitigation and Adaptation Working Group of UK-China Sustainable Agriculture Innovation Network (2009-present).
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Environmental Quality (1997-2003)
- Editorial Board Member of Acta Agronomica Hungarica (1998-present)
- Editorial Board Member of International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability (2006–present)
- Editorial Board Member of Biaban / Desert (2006–present)
- Editorial Board Member of Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment (2006-present).
- Editorial Board Member of Greenhouse Gas Management & Measurement (2010-present).
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of Subtropical Resources and Environment (2006-present)
- Editor of Global Change Biology (2nd ranked among 134 environmental science Journals) (2007-present)
- Editor of Global Change Biology Bioenergy (2009-present)
- Science Director of Scotland’s Climate Change Centre of Expertise (2011-present)
- Director-Food Systems of the Scottish Food Security Alliance – Crops (2013-present)
- Theme Leader of cross-University theme on Environment & Food Security (2012-present)
Page 1 of 7 Results 1 to 100 of 622
- Harmsen, MJHM, van Vuuren, DP, Nayak, DR, Hof, AF, Höglund-Isaksson, L, Lucas, PL, Nielsen, JB, Smith, P & Stehfest, E 2019, 'Long-term marginal abatement cost curves of non-CO2 greenhouse gases' Environmental Science & Policy, vol. 99, pp. 136-149. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2019.05.013
- Lefebvre, D, Goglio, P, Williams, A, Manning, DAC, de Azevedo, C, Bergmann, M, Meersmans, J & Smith, P 2019, 'Assessing the potential of soil carbonation and enhanced weathering through Life Cycle Assessment: a case study for Sao Paulo State, Brazil' Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Albanito, F, Hastings, A, Fitton, N, Richards, M, Martin, M, Mac Dowell, N, Bell, D, Taylor, SC, Butnar, I, Li, PH, Slade, R & Smith, P 2019, 'Mitigation potential and environmental impact of centralized versus distributed BECCS with domestic biomass production in Great Britain' Global Change Biology. Bioenergy. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12630
- Hall, C, Macdiarmid, JI, Matthews, RB, Smith, P, Hubbard, SF & Dawson, TP 2019, 'The relationship between forest cover and diet quality: a case study of rural southern Malawi' Food Security. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12571-019-00923-0
- Porter, JR, Challinor, AJ, Henriksen, CB, Howden, SM, Martre, P & Smith, P 2019, 'IPCC, Agriculture and Food: A Case of Shifting Cultivation and History' Global Change Biology. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14700
- Abdalla, M, Hastings, A, Cheng, K, Yue, Q, Chadwick, D, Espenberg, M, Truu, J, Rees, RM & Smith, P 2019, 'A critical review of the impacts of cover crops on nitrogen leaching, net greenhouse gas balance and crop productivity' Global Change Biology. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14644
- Ledo, A, Hillier, J, Smith, P, Aguilera, E, Blagodatskiy, S, Brearley, FQ, Datta, A, Diaz-Pines, E, Don, A, Dondini, M, Dunn, J, Feliciano, D, Lang, R, Liebig, MA, Llorente, M, Zinn, YL, McNamara, N, Ogle, SM, Qin, Z, Rovira, P, Rowe, R, Vicente-Vicente, JL, Whitaker, J, Yue, Q & Zerihun, A 2019, 'A global, empirical, harmonised dataset of soil organic carbon changes under perennial crops' Scientific Data, vol. 6, 57. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-019-0062-1
- Begum, K, Kuhnert, M, Yeluripati, JB, Ogle, S, Parton, WJ, Williams, SA, Pan, G, Cheng, K, Ali, MA & Smith, P 2019, 'Modelling greenhouse gas emissions and mitigation potentials in fertilized paddy rice fields in Bangladesh' Geoderma, vol. 341, pp. 206-215. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2019.01.047
- Aleksandrowicz, L, Green, R, Joy, EJM, Harris, F, Hillier, J, Vetter, SH, Smith, P, Kulkarni, B, Dangour, AD & Haines, A 2019, 'Environmental impacts of dietary shifts in India: a modelling study using nationally-representative data' Environment International, vol. 126, pp. 207-215. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2019.02.004
- Soussana, JF, Lutfalla, S, Ehrhardt, F, Rosenstock, T, Lamanna, C, Havlík, P, Richards, M, Wollenberg, E, Chotte, JL, Torquebiau, E, Ciais, P, Smith, P & Lal, R 2019, 'Matching policy and science: Rationale for the '4 per 1000 - soils for food security and climate' initiative' Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 188, pp. 3-15. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2017.12.002
- Fitton, N, Bindi, M, Brilli, L, Chicota, R, Dibari, C, Fuchs, K, Huguenin-Elie, O, Klumpp, K, Lieffering, M, Lüscher, A, Martin, R, McAuliffe, R, Merbold, L, Newton, P, Rees, RM, Smith, P, Topp, CFE & Snow, V 2019, 'Modelling biological N fixation and grass-legume dynamics with process-based biogeochemical models of varying complexity' European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 106, pp. 58-66. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eja.2019.03.008
- Eyhorn, F, Muller, A, Reganold, JP, Frison, E, Herren, HR, Luttikholt, L, Mueller, A, Sanders, J, Scialabba, N, Seufert, V & Smith, P 2019, 'Sustainability in global agriculture driven by organic farming' Nature Sustainability, vol. 2, pp. 253-255. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0266-6
- Lippe, M, Bithell, M, Gotts, N, Natalini, D, Barbrook-Johnson, P, Giupponi, C, Hallier, M, Hofstede, GJ, Le Page, C, Matthews, RB, Schlüter, M, Smith, P, Teglio, A & Thellmann, K 2019, 'Using agent-based modelling to simulate social-ecological systems across scales' GeoInformatica, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 269-298. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10707-018-00337-8
- Kayatz, B, Harris, F, Hillier, J, Adhya, TK, Dalin, C, Nayak, D, Green, RF, Smith, P & Dangour, AD 2019, '"More crop per drop": Exploring India's cereal water use since 2005' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 673, pp. 207-217. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.03.304
- Rumpel, C, Amiraslani, F, Chenu, C, Cardenas, MG, Kaonga, M, Koutika, L-S, Ladha, J, Madari, B, Shirato, Y, Smith, P, Soudi, B, Soussana, J-F, Whitehead, D & Wollenberg, E 2019, 'The 4p1000 initiative: opportunities, limitations and challenges for implementing soil organic carbon sequestration as a sustainable development strategy' Ambio. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13280-019-01165-2
- Sapkota, TB, Vetter, SH, Jat, ML, Sirohi, S, Shirsath, PB, Singh, R, Jat, HS, Smith, P, Hillier, J & Stirling, CM 2019, 'Cost-effective opportunities for climate change mitigation in Indian agriculture' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 655, pp. 1342-1354. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.11.225
- Anderson, CM, DeFries, RS, Litterman, R, Matson, PA, Nepstad, DC, Pacala, S, Schlesinger, WH, Shaw, MR, Smith, P, Weber, C & Field, CB 2019, 'Natural climate solutions are not enough' Science, vol. 363, no. 6430, pp. 933-934. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aaw2741
- Oliveira, DMS, Cherubin, MR, Franco, ALC, Santos, AS, Gelain, JG, Dias, NMS, Diniz, TR, Almeida, AN, Feigl, BJ, Davies, CA, Paustian, K, Karlen, DL, Smith, P, Cerri, CC & Cerri, CEP 2019, 'Is the expansion of sugarcane over pasturelands a sustainable strategy for Brazil's bioenergy industry?' Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 102, pp. 346-355. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.12.012
- Yue, Q, Cheng, K, Ogle, S, Hillier, J, Smith, P, Abdalla, M, Sun, J & Pan, G 2019, 'Evaluation of four modelling approaches to estimate nitrous oxide emissions in China's cropland' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 652, pp. 1279-1289. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.10.336
- Vetter, SH, Sapkota, TB, Hillier, J, Stirling, CM, Macdiarmid, JI, Aleksandrowicz, L, Green, R, Joy, EJM, Dangour, AD & Smith, P 2019, 'Corrigendum to “Greenhouse gas emissions from agricultural food production to supply Indian diets: Implications for climate change mitigation” [Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 237 (2017) 234–241](S0167880916306065)(10.1016/j.agee.2016.12.024)' Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 272, pp. 83-85. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2018.11.012
- Tripathi, R, Moharana, KC, Nayak, AD, Dhal, B, Shahid, M, Mondal, B, Mohapatra, SD, Bhattacharyya, P, Fitton, N, Smith, P, Shukla, AK, Pathak, H & Nayak, AK 2019, 'Ecosystem services in different agro-climatic zones in eastern India: impact of land use and land cover change' Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 191, no. 2, 98. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-019-7224-7
- Kavian, A, Alipour, A, Soleimani, K, Gholami, L, Smith, P & Rodrigo-Comino, J 2019, 'The increase of rainfall erosivity and initial soil erosion processes due to rainfall acidification' Hydrological Processes, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 261-270. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.13323
- Fry, EL, De Long, JR, ÁlvarezGarrido, L, Alvarez, N, Carrillo, Y, Castañeda-Gómez, L, Chomel, M, Dondini, M, Drake, JE, Hasegawa, S, Hortal, S, Jackson, BG, Jiang, M, Lavallee, JM, Medlyn, BM, Rhymes, J, Singh, BK, Smith, P, Anderson, IC, Bardgett, RD, Baggs, EM & Johnson, D 2019, 'Using plant, microbe and soil fauna traits to improve the predictive power of biogeochemical models' Methods in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 146-157. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.13092
- Novara, A, Pulido, M, Rodrigo-Comino, J, Di Prima, S, Smith, P, Gristina, L, Giminez-Morera, A, Terol, E, Salesa, D & Keesstra, S 2018, 'Long-term organic farming on a citrus plantation results in soil organic matter recovery' Cuadernos de Investigación Geográfica. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.18172/cig.3794
- Pikaar, I, de Vrieze, J, Rabaey, K, Herrero, M, Smith, P & Verstraete, W 2018, 'Carbon emission avoidance and capture by producing in-reactor microbial biomass based food, feed and slow release fertilizer: potentials and limitations' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 644, pp. 1525-1530. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.07.089
- Rumpel, C, Amiraslani, F, Koutika, L-S, Smith, P, Whitehead, D & Wollenberg, E 2018, 'Put more carbon in soils to meet Paris climate pledges' Nature, vol. 564, no. 7734, pp. 32-34. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-018-07587-4
- Neumann, M & Smith, P 2018, 'Carbon uptake by European agricultural land is variable, and in many regions could be increased: Evidence from remote sensing, yield statistics and models of potential productivity' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 643, pp. 902-911. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.268
- Yue, Q, Ledo, A, Cheng, K, Albanito, F, Lebender, U, Sapkota, TB, Brentrup, F, Stirling, CM, Smith, P, Sun, J, Pan, G & Hillier, J 2018, 'Re-assessing nitrous oxide emissions from croplands across Mainland China' Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 268, pp. 70-78. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2018.09.003
- Gao, B, Huang, T, Ju, X, Gu, B, Huang, W, Xu, L, Rees, RM, Powlson, DS, Smith, P & Cui, S 2018, 'Chinese cropping systems are a net source of greenhouse gases despite soil carbon sequestration' Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 5590-5606. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14425
- Molotoks, A, Stehfest, E, Doelman, J, Albanito, F, Fitton, N, Dawson, TP & Smith, P 2018, 'Global projections of future cropland expansion to 2050 and direct impacts on biodiversity and carbon storage' Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 5895-5908. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14459
- Green, RF, Joy, EJM, Harris, F, Agrawal, S, Aleksandrowicz, L, Hillier, J, Macdiarmid, JI, Milner, J, Vetter, SH, Smith, P, Haines, A & Dangour, AD 2018, 'Greenhouse gas emissions and water footprints of typical dietary patterns in India' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 643, pp. 1411-1418. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.258
- Vetter, SH, Malin, D, Smith, P & Hillier, J 2018, 'The potential to reduce GHG emissions in egg production using a GHG calculator: a Cool Farm Tool case study' Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 202, pp. 1068-1076. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.199
- Sándor, R, Ehrhardt, F, Brilli, L, Carozzi, M, Recous, S, Smith, P, Snow, V, Soussana, J-F, Dorich, CD, Fuchs, K, Fitton, N, Gongadze, K, Klumpp, K, Liebig, M, Martin, R, Merbold, L, Newton, PCD, Rees, RM, Rolinski, S & Bellocchi, G 2018, 'The use of biogeochemical models to evaluate mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions from managed grasslands' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 642, pp. 292-306. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.020
- Lal, R, Smith, P, Jungkunst, HF, Mitsch, WJ, Lehmann, J, Ramachandran Nair, PK, McBratney, AB, De Moraes Sá, JC, Schneider, J, Zinn, YL, Skorupa, ALA, Zhang, HL, Minasny, B, Srinivasrao, C & Ravindranath, NH 2018, 'The carbon sequestration potential of terrestrial ecosystems' Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 145A-152A. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2489/jswc.73.6.145A
- Lugato, E, Smith, P, Borrelli, P, Panagos, P, Ballabio, C, Orgiazzi, A, Fernandez-Ugalde, O, Montanarella, L & Jones, A 2018, 'Soil erosion is unlikely to drive a future carbon sink in Europe' Science Advances, vol. 4, no. 11, eaau3523. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aau3523
- Reay, DS, Smith, P, Christensen, TR, James, RH & Clark, H 2018, 'Methane and global environmental change' Annual Review of Environment and Resources, vol. 43, pp. 165-192. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-environ-102017-030154
- Zhang, D, Wang, H, Pan, J, Luo, J, Liu, J, Gu, B, Liu, S, Zhai, L, Lindsey, S, Zhang, Y, Lei, Q, Wu, S, Smith, P & Liu, H 2018, 'Nitrogen application rates need to be reduced for half of the rice paddy fields in China' Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 265, pp. 8-14. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2018.05.023
- Begum, K, Kuhnert, M, Yeluripati, J, Ogle, S, Parton, W, Kader, MA & Smith, P 2018, 'Soil organic carbon sequestration and mitigation potential in a rice cropland in Bangladesh: a modelling approach' Field Crops Research, vol. 226, pp. 16-27. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2018.07.001
- Balmford, A, Amano, T, Bartlett, H, Chadwick, D, Collins, A, Edwards, D, Field, R, Garnsworthy, P, Green, R, Smith, P, Waters, H, Whitmore, A, Broom, D, Chara, J, Finch, T, Garnett, E, Gathorne-Hardy, A, Hernandez-Medrano, J, Herrero, M, Hua, F, Latawiec, A, Misselbrook, T, Phalan, B, Simmons, B, Takahashi, T, Vause, J, zu Ermgassen , E & Eisner, R 2018, 'The environmental costs and benefits of high-yield farming' Nature Sustainability, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 477-485. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-018-0138-5
- De Ruiter, HR, Macdiarmid, JI, Matthews, RB & Smith, P 2018, 'Moving beyond calories and protein: Micronutrient assessment of UK diets and land use' Global Environmental Change, vol. 52, pp. 108-116. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2018.06.007
- Alcalde, J, Smith, P, Haszeldine, RS & Bond, CE 2018, 'The potential for implementation of Negative Emission Technologies in Scotland' International journal of greenhouse gas control, vol. 76, pp. 85-91. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2018.06.021
- Basso, B, Dumont, B, Maestrini, B, Shcherbak, I, Robertson, GP, Porter, JR, Smith, P, Paustian, K, Grace, PR, Asseng, S, Bassu, S, Biernath, C, Boote, KJ, Cammarano, D, de Sanctis, G, Durand, J-L, Ewert, F, Gayler, S, Grant, R, Hyndman, DW, Kent, J, Martre, P, Nendel, C, Priesack, E, Ripoche, D, Ruane, AC, Sharp, J, Thorburn, PJ, Hatfield, JL, Jones, JW & Rosenzweig, C 2018, 'Soil Organic Carbon and Nitrogen Feedbacks on Crop Yields under Climate Change' Agricultural & Environmental Letters, vol. 3, no. 1, 180026. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2134/ael2018.05.0026
- Ghaley, BB, Wosten, H, Olesen, JE, Schelde, K, Baby, S, Karki, YK, Borgesen, CD, Smith, P, Yeluripati, J, Ferrise, R, Bindi, M, Kuikman, P, Lesschen, J-P & Porter, JR 2018, 'Simulation of Soil Organic Carbon Effects on Long-Term Winter Wheat (Triticum aestivum) Production Under Varying Fertilizer Inputs' Frontiers in plant science, vol. 9, 1158. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2018.01158
- Pretty, J, Benton, TG, Bharucha, ZP, Dicks, LV, Flora, CB, Godfray, HCJ, Goulson, D, Hartley, S, Lampkin, N, Morris, C, Pierzynski, G, Prasad, PVV, Reganold, J, Rockström, J, Smith, P, Thorne, P & Wratten, S 2018, 'Global assessment of agricultural system redesign for sustainable intensification' Nature Sustainability, vol. 1, no. 8, pp. 441-446. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-018-0114-0
- Smith, P & Porter, JR 2018, 'Bioenergy in the IPCC Assessments' Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 428-431. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12514
- Minx, JC, Lamb, WF, Callaghan, MW, Fuss, S, Hilaire, J, Creutzig, F, Amann, T, Beringer, T, Garcia, WDO, Hartmann, J, Khanna, T, Lenzi, D, Luderer, G, Nemet, GF, Rogelj, J, Smith, P, Vicente, JLV, Wilcox, J & Dominguez, MDMZ 2018, 'Negative emissions-Part 1: Research landscape and synthesis' Environmental Research Letters, vol. 13, no. 6, 063001. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aabf9b
- Fuss, S, Lamb, WF, Callaghan, MW, Hilaire, J, Creutzig, F, Amann, T, Beringer, T, Garcia, WDO, Hartmann, J, Khanna, T, Luderer, G, Nemet, GF, Rogelj, J, Smith, P, Vicente, JLV, Wilcox, J, Dominguez, MDMZ & Minx, JC 2018, 'Negative emissions-Part 2: Costs, potentials and side effects' Environmental Research Letters, vol. 13, no. 6, 063002. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aabf9f
- Nemet, GF, Callaghan, MW, Creutzig, F, Fuss, S, Hartmann, J, Hilaire, J, Lamb, WF, Minx, JC, Rogers, S & Smith, P 2018, 'Negative emissions-Part 3: Innovation and upscaling' Environmental Research Letters, vol. 13, no. 6, 063003. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aabff4
- Smith, P, price, J, Molotoks, A, Warren, R & Malhi, Y 2018, 'Impacts on terrestrial biodiversity of moving from a 2°C to a 1.5°C target' Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series A, vol. 376, no. 2119, 20160456. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2016.0456
- Tu, C, He, T, Lu, X, Luo, Y & Smith, P 2018, 'Extent to which pH and topographic factors control soil organic carbon level in dry farming cropland soils of the mountainous region of Southwest China' Catena, vol. 163, pp. 204-209. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2017.12.028
- Heckle, R, Smith, P, Macdiarmid, J, Campbell, E & Abbott, P 2018, 'Beekeeping adoption: A case study of three smallholder farming communities in Baringo County, Kenya' Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 1-11.
- Rahman, ZU, Khan, B, Ahmada, I, Mian, IA, Saeed, A, Afaq, A, Khan, A, Smith, P & Mianh, AA 2018, 'A review of groundwater fluoride contamination in Pakistan and an assessment of the risk of fluorosis' Fluoride, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 171-181.
- Ledo, A, Heathcote, R, Hastings, A, Smith, P & Hillier, J 2018, 'Perennial-GHG: A new generic allometric model to estimate biomass accumulation and greenhouse gas emissions in perennial food and bioenergy crops' Environmental Modelling and Software, vol. 102, pp. 292-305. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2017.12.005
- Smith, P 2018, 'Managing the global land resource' Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. B, Biological Sciences, vol. 285, no. 1874, 20172798. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2017.2798
- Dean, JF, van der Velde, Y, Garnett, MH, Dinsmore, KJ, Baxter, R, Lessels, JS, Smith, P, Street, LE, Subke, J-A, Tetzlaff, D, Washbourne, I, Wookey, PA & Billett, MF 2018, 'Abundant pre-industrial carbon detected in Canadian Arctic headwaters: implications for the permafrost carbon feedback' Environmental Research Letters, vol. 13, no. 3, 034024. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aaa1fe
- Whitaker, J, Field, JL, Bernacchi, CJ, Cerri, CEP, Ceulemans, R, Davies, CA, Delucia, EH, Donnison, IS, McCalmont, JP, Paustian, K, Rowe, RL, Smith, P, Thornley, P & Mcnamara, NP 2018, 'Consensus, uncertainties and challenges for perennial bioenergy crops and land use' Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 150-164. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12488
- Schipper, L & Smith, P 2018, 'Deforestation may increase soil carbon but it is unlikely to be continuous or unlimited' Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 557-558. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.13999
- Hastings, A, Smith, P, Clifton-Brown, J & Taylor, G 2018, 'Future biomass supply for low carbon European energy provision in a changing world' TERRAenVISION Environmental Issues Today, Barcelona, Spain, 29/01/18 - 2/02/18, pp. 1-2.
- Abdalla, M, Hastings, A, Chadwick, DR, Jones, DL, Evans, CD, Jones, MB, Rees, RM & Smith, P 2018, 'Critical review of the impacts of grazing intensity on soil organic carbon storage and other soil quality indicators in extensively managed grasslands' Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 253, pp. 62-81. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.10.023
- Ehrhardt, F, Soussana, J-F, Bellocchi, G, Grace, P, McAuliffe, R, Recous, S, Sándor, R, Smith, P, Snow, V, Migliorati, MDA, Basso, B, Bhatia, A, Brilli, L, Doltra, J, Dorich, CD, Doro, L, Fitton, N, Giacomini, SJ, Grant, B, Harrison, MT, Jones, SK, Kirschbaum, MUF, Klumpp, K, Laville, P, Léonard, J, Liebig, M, Lieffering, M, Martin, R, Massad, RS, Meier, E, Merbold, L, Moore, AD, Myrgiotis, V, Newton, P, Pattey, E, Rolinski, S, Sharp, J, Smith, WN, Wu, L & Zhang, Q 2018, 'Assessing uncertainties in crop and pasture ensemble model simulations of productivity and N2O emissions' Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 603-616. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.13965
- Gu, B, Ju, X, Wu, Y, Erisman, JW, Bleeker, A, Reis, S, Sutton, MA, Lam, SK, Smith, P, Oenema, O, Smith, RI, Lu, X, Ye, X & Chen, D 2018, 'Cleaning up nitrogen pollution may reduce future carbon sinks' Global Environmental Change, vol. 48, pp. 56-66. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2017.10.007
- Senapati, N, Chabbi, A & Smith, P 2018, 'Modelling daily to seasonal carbon fluxes and annual net ecosystem carbon balance of cereal grain-cropland using DailyDayCent: A model data comparison' Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 252, pp. 159-177. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.10.003
- Smith, P, Lutfalla, S, Riley, WJ, Torn, MS, Schmidt, MWI & Soussana, J-F 2018, 'The changing faces of soil organic matter research' European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 23-30. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ejss.12500
- Jafari, M, Smith, P & KhosrowPour, M 2018, Climate Change as a Driving Force on Urban Energy Consumption Patterns. in Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology. 4th edn, IGI Global, pp. 7815-7830. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-2255-3.ch680
- Santangeli, A, Butchart, SHM, Pogson, M, Hastings, A, Smith, P, Girardello, M & Moilanen, A 2018, 'Mapping the global potential exposure of soaring birds to terrestrial wind energy expansion' Ornis Fennica, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 1-14.
- Begum, K, Kuhnert, M, Yeluripati, J, Ogle, S, Parton, W, Kader, MA & Smith, P 2018, 'Model Based Regional Estimates of Soil Organic Carbon Sequestration and Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Potentials from Rice Croplands in Bangladesh' Land, vol. 7, no. 3, 82. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/land7030082
- Dondini, M, Abdalla, M, Aini, FK, Albanito, F, Beckert, MR, Begum, K, Brand, A, Cheng, K, Comeau, L-P, Jones, EO, Farmer, JA, Feliciano, DMS, Fitton, N, Hastings, A, Henner, DN, Kuhnert, M, Nayak, DR, Oyesikublakemore, J, Phillips, L, Richards, MIA, Tumwesige, V, van Dijk, WFA, Vetter, SH, Coleman, K, Smith, J & Smith, P 2018, Projecting soil under future climate and land use scenarios (Modelling). in BK Singh (ed.), Soil Carbon Storage. Academic Press, pp. 281-309. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-812766-7.00009-3
- Albanito, F, Fitton, N & Smith, P 2018, Soil management for Advancing SDG 13 (Climate Action). in R Lal, R Horn & T Kosaki (eds), Soil and Sustainable Development Goals., 6, International Union of Soil Sciences, vol. 2018, International Union of Soil Sciences.
- Fitton, N, Datta, A, Cloy, JM, Rees, RM, Topp, CFE, Bell, MJ, Cardenas, LM, Williams, J, Smith, K, Thorman, R, Watson, CJ, McGeough, KL, Kuhnert, M, Hastings, A, Anthony, S, Chadwick, D & Smith, P 2017, 'Modelling spatial and inter-annual variations of nitrous oxide emissions from UK cropland and grasslands using DailyDayCent' Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 250, pp. 1-11. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.08.032
- Begum, K, Kuhnert, M, Yeluripati, J, Glendinning, M & Smith, P 2017, 'Simulating soil carbon sequestration from long term fertilizer and manure additions under continuous wheat using the DailyDayCent model' Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 291-302. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10705-017-9888-0
- Diem, T, Morley, NJ, Ccahuana, AJ, Hauraca Quispe, LP, Baggs, E, Meir, P, Richards, MLA, Smith, P & Teh, YA 2017, 'Complex controls on nitrous oxide flux across a large-elevation gradient in the tropical Peruvian Andes' Biogeosciences, vol. 14, no. 22, pp. 5077-5097. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-14-5077-2017
- Brilli, L, Bechini, L, Bindi, M, Carozzi, M, Cavalli, D, Conant, R, Dorich, CD, Doro, L, Ehrhardt, F, Farina, R, Ferrise, R, Fitton, N, Francaviglia, R, Grace, P, Iocola, I, Klumpp, K, Léonard, J, Martin, R, Massad, RS, Recous, S, Seddaiu, G, Sharp, J, Smith, P, Smith, WN, Soussana, J-F & Bellocchi, G 2017, 'Review and analysis of strengths and weaknesses of agro-ecosystem models for simulating C and N fluxes' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 598, pp. 445-470. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.03.208
- Bajželj, B, Garnett, T, Little, D, Patel, M, Röös, E & Smith, P 2017, 'Greedy or Needy? Land use and climate impacts of food production in 2050 under different potential livestock futures' Global Environmental Change, vol. 47, pp. 1-12. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2017.09.001
- Griscom, BW, Adams, J, Ellis, PW, Houghton, RA, Lomax, G, Miteva, DA, Schlesinger, WH, Shoch, D, Siikamäki, JV, Smith, P, Woodbury, P, Zganjar, C, Blackman, A, Campari, J, Conant, RT, Delgado, C, Elias, P, Gopalakrishna, T, Hamsik, MR, Herrero, M, Kiesecker, J, Landis, E, Laestadius, L, Leavitt, SM, Minnemeyer, S, Polasky, S, Potapov, P, Putz, FE, Sanderman, J, Silvius, M, Wollenberg, E & Fargione, J 2017, 'Natural climate solutions' PNAS, vol. 114, no. 44, pp. 11645-11650. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1710465114
- Soussana, J-F, Lutfalla, S, Smith, P, Lal, R, Chenu, C & Ciais, P 2017, 'Letter to the Editor: Answer to the Viewpoint "sequestering Soil Organic Carbon: A Nitrogen Dilemma"' Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 51, no. 20, pp. 11502-11502. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.7b03932
- Molotoks, A, Kuhnert, M, Dawson, TP & Smith, P 2017, 'Global Hotspots of Conflict Risk between Food Security and Biodiversity Conservation' Land, vol. 6, no. 4, 67. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/land6040067
- Frank, S, Havlík, P, Soussana, JF, Levesque, A, Valin, H, Wollenberg, E, Kleinwechter, U, Fricko, O, Gusti, M, Herrero, M, Smith, P, Hasegawa, T, Kraxner, F & Obersteiner, M 2017, 'Reducing greenhouse gas emissions in agriculture without compromising food security?' Environmental Research Letters, vol. 12, no. 10, 105004. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aa8c83
- Porter, JR, Howden, M & Smith, P 2017, 'Considering agriculture in IPCC assessments' Nature Climate Change, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 680-683. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/nclimate3404
- Porter, JR, Howden, M & Smith, P 2017, 'Agriculture and climate change in the IPCC Assessment Reports from 1990 to 2014' Nature Climate Change.
- Xu, C, Han, X, Bol, R, Smith, P, Wu, W & Meng, F 2017, 'Impacts of natural factors and farming practices on greenhouse gas emissions in the North China Plain: A meta-analysis' Ecology and Evolution, vol. 7, no. 17, pp. 6702-6715. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.3211
- Kuhnert, M, Yeluripati, J, Smith, P, Hoffmann, H, van Oijen, M, Constantin, J, Coucheney, E, Dechow, R, Eckersten, H, Gaiser, T, Grosz, B, Haas, E, Kersebaum, K-C, Kiese, R, Klatt, S, Lewan, E, Nendel, C, Raynal, H, Sosa, C, Specka, X, Teixeira, E, Wang, E, Weihermüller, L, Zhao, G, Zhao, Z, Ogle, S & Ewert, F 2017, 'Impact analysis of climate data aggregation at different spatial scales on simulated net primary productivity for croplands' European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 88, pp. 41-52. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eja.2016.06.005
- Hansen, J, Sato, M, Kharecha, P, Von Schuckmann, K, Beerling, DJ, Cao, J, Marcott, S, Masson-Delmotte, V, Prather, MJ, Rohling, EJ, Shakun, J, Lacis, A, Smith, P, Russell, G & Ruedy, R 2017, 'Young people's burden: Requirement of negative CO2 emissions' Earth System Dynamics, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 577-616. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5194/esd-8-577-2017
- Vicente-Vicente, JL, Gómez-Muñoz, B, Hinojosa-Centeno, MB, Smith, P & Garcia-Ruiz, R 2017, 'Carbon saturation and assessment of soil organic carbon fractions in Mediterranean rainfed olive orchards under plant cover management' Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 245, pp. 135–146. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.05.020
- Ding, J, Chen, L, Ji, C, Hugelius, G, Li, Y, Liu, L, Qin, S, Zhang, B, Yang, G, Li, F, Fang, K, Chen, Y, Peng, Y, Zhao, X, He, H, Smith, P, Fang, J & Yang, Y 2017, 'Decadal soil carbon accumulation across Tibetan permafrost regions' Nature Geoscience, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 420-424. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/ngeo2945
- Nemo, Klumpp, K, Coleman, K, Dondini, M, Goulding, K, Hastings, A, Jones, MB, Leifeld, J, Osborne, B, Saunders, M, Scott, T, Teh, YA & Smith, P 2017, 'Soil Organic Carbon (SOC) Equilibrium and Model Initialisation Methods: an Application to the Rothamsted Carbon (RothC) Model' Environmental Modeling & Assessment, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 215-229. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10666-016-9536-0
- Chabbi, A, Lehmann, J, Ciais, P, Loescher, HW, Cotrufo, MF, Don, A, Sanclements, M, Schipper, L, Six, J, Smith, P & Rumpel, C 2017, 'Aligning agriculture and climate policy' Nature Climate Change, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 307-309. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/nclimate3286
- Dondini, M, Alberti, G, Delle Vedove, G, Ventura, M, Tonon, G, Viger, M, Harris, ZM, Jenkins, JR, Richards, M, Pogson, M, Taylor, G, Smith, JU & Smith, P 2017, 'Evaluation of the ECOSSE model to predict heterotrophic soil respiration by direct measurements' European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 384–393. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ejss.12416
- Wang, Y, Dong, H, Zhu, Z, Gerber, PJ, Xin, H, Smith, P, Opio, C, Steinfeld, H & Chadwick, D 2017, 'Mitigating Greenhouse Gas and Ammonia Emissions from Swine Manure Management: A System Analysis' Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 4503-4511. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b06430
- Milner, J, Joy, EJM, Green, R, Harris, F, Aleksandrowicz, L, Agrawal, S, Smith, P, Haines, A & Dangour, AD 2017, 'Projected health effects of realistic dietary changes to address freshwater constraints in India: a modelling study' The Lancet Planetary Health, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. e26-e32. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2542-5196(17)30001-3
- Jones, GD, Droz, B, Greve, P, Gottschalk, P, Poffet, D, McGrath, SP, Seneviratne, SI, Smith, P & Winkel, LHE 2017, 'Selenium deficiency risk predicted to increase under future climate change' PNAS, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 2848-2853. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1611576114
- Robledo-Abad, C, Althaus, H-J, Berndes, G, Bolwig, S, Corbera, E, Creutzig, F, Garcia-Ulloa, J, Geddes, A, Gregg, JS, Haberl, H, Hanger, S, Harper, RJ, Hunsberger, C, Larsen, RK, Lauk, C, Leitner, S, Lilliestam, J, Lotze-Campen, H, Muys, B, Nordborg, M, Ölund, M, Orlowsky, B, Popp, A, Portugal-Pereira, J, Reinhard, J, Scheiffle, L & Smith, P 2017, 'Bioenergy production and sustainable development: science base for policymaking remains limited' Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 541–556 . [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12338
- Robertson, AD, Davies, CA, Stott, AW, Smith, P, Clark, EL & McNamara, NP 2017, 'Carbon Inputs from Miscanthus Displace Older Soil Organic Carbon Without Inducing Priming' BioEnergy Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 86–101. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12155-016-9772-9
- Meng, F, Qiao, Y, Wu, W, Smith, P & Scott, S 2017, 'Environmental impacts and production performances of organic agriculture in China: a monetary valuation' Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 188, pp. 49-57. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.11.080
- Richards, M, Pogson, M, Dondini, M, Jones, EO, Hastings, A, Henner, DN, Tallis, MJ, Casella, E, Matthews, RW, Henshall, PA, Milner, S, Taylor, G, McNamara, NP, Smith, JU & Smith, P 2017, 'High-resolution spatial modelling of greenhouse gas emissions from land-use change to energy crops in the United Kingdom' Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 627–644. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12360
- Robertson, AD, Whitaker, J, Morrison, R, Davies, CA, Smith, P & Mcnamara, NP 2017, 'A Miscanthus plantation can be carbon neutral without increasing soil carbon stocks' Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 645-661. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12397
- De Ruiter, HR, Macdiarmid, JI, Matthews, RB, Kastner, T, Lynd, LR & Smith, P 2017, 'Total global agricultural land footprint associated with UK food supply 1986–2011' Global Environmental Change, vol. 43, pp. 72-81. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2017.01.007
- Cayuela, ML, Aguilera, E, Sanz-Cobena, A, Adams, DC, Abalos, D, Barton, L, Ryals, R, Silver, WL, Alfaro, MA, Pappa, VA, Smith, P, Garnier, J, Billen, G, Bouwman, L, Bondeau, A & Lassaletta, L 2017, 'Direct nitrous oxide emissions in Mediterranean climate cropping systems: emission factors based on a meta-analysis of available measurement data' Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 238, pp. 25-35. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2016.10.006
- Sanz-Cobena, A, Lassaletta, L, Garnier, J & Smith, P 2017, 'Mitigation and quantification of greenhouse gas emissions in Mediterranean cropping systems' Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 238, pp. 1-4. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2016.12.032
- Röös, E, Bajželj, B, Smith, P, Patel, M, Little, D & Garnett, T 2017, 'Protein futures for Western Europe: potential land use and climate impacts in 2050' Regional Environmental Change, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 367–377. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-016-1013-4
- Sanz-Cobeña, A, Lassaletta, L, Aguilera, E, del Prado, A, Garnier, J, Billen, G, Iglesias, A, Sánchez, B, Guardia, G, Abalos, D, Plaza-Bonilla, D, Puigdueta, I, Moral, R, Galan, E, Arriaga, H, Merino, P, Infante-Amate, J, Meijide, A, Pardo, G, Alvaro-Fuentes, J, Gilsanz, C, Báez, D, Doltra, J, González-Ubierna, S, Cayuela, ML, Menendez, S, Diaz-Pines, E, Le-Noe, J, Quemada, M, Estellés, F, Calvet, S, van Grinsven, H, Westhoek, H, Sanz, MJ, Sánchez-Jimeno, B, Vallejo, A & Smith, P 2017, 'Strategies for greenhouse gas emissions mitigation in Mediterranean agriculture: a review' Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 238, pp. 5-24. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2016.09.038