Support for Disabled Students

Information for students with Specific Learning Differences

1.  What do I do if I think I might have Dyslexia?

If you think that you might have Dyslexia and would like to be tested, please make an appointment for a pre-screening with a Disability Adviser.  This is a computer program which will show whether you have any indicators for Dyslexia.  If the pre-screening is positive, we will refer you to an Educational Psychologist for a full assessment.

2.  How to I inform the University that I have a Specific Learning Difficulty?

To ensure you receive appropriate assistance you should obtain an assessment of your needs from a Chartered/Educational Psychologist.  If you have not had an assessment within the last 2 years, an appointment can be arranged through the Student Support Services.

If you have recently been assessed, please send a copy of your report to the Disability Adviser, Student Advice and Support Office, Students' Union Building, Elphinstone Road, Aberdeen AB24 3TU.

3.  What happens to this assessment?

It will be held on file, under confidential cover, by the Disability Adviser.  A provisions form, detailing your requirements, is prepared and the information is stored on a database linked to the Student Record System, to which only authorised personnel have access.  It is the job of School Disability Co-ordinators to ensure that account is taken of the recommendations made. 

4.  Do I need to remind the University at the start of each academic session?

No, once the information is stored it will automatically go to any School in which you take courses.  However, you may find it useful to check that the relevant staff are aware of your requirements and to alert the Student Support Services if you feel that the process is not working effectively.

5.  What support is available at the University?

Non-medical help, such as note-takers, tutors, scribes or readers for written examinations can be arranged, if your assessment indicates this would be of benefit.  You may also be entitled to priority access to computing facilities at the University and extra time in examinations. 

A Dyslexia Support Adviser works within the Student Learning Service and can provide one-to-one study skills support for students with dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties.
Further information can be obtained from the Student Advice and Support Office.

6.  Are there any grants available?

You may be eligible for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), from your grant-awarding body (e.g. SAAS, LEA).  This allowance is intended to cover the extra expenditure you incur whilst studying which arise as a consequence of having dyslexia.  Further information is available from the Student Advice and Support Office.