K.P. Jayasankar and Anjali Monteiro
In conversation with Prof. Alan Marcus
6pm, Wednesday 14th October 2015 VIEW WEBCAST
Elphinstone Hall, University of Aberdeen
Professor K.P. Jayasankar and Professor Anjali Monteiro have created some of the most innovative and beautiful documentaries in the history of Indian filmmaking. Both hold appointments at the School of Media and Cultural Studies in Mumbai, and together have made over 35 films, winning over 30 national and international awards, including the prestigious Basil Wright Prize at the RAI Ethnographic Film Festival in Edinburgh in 2013 for their exquisite film, So Heddan So Hoddan (Like Here Like There). Their films present insightful studies that pose questions about the self and the other, normality and deviance.
Other works include Identity: The Construction of Selfhood, which was awarded a prize in 1995 at the Prix Futura Festival in Berlin and Saacha, an edited version of which was exhibited in 2013 at the Tate Modern in London. Their recent work includes the book, A Fly in the Curry: Independent Documentary Film in India (forthcoming 2015) and a series of web archives, DiverCity, which explores the politics of memory and erasure in Mumbai, based on student work mentored by them. They arrive from India to discuss a cross-section of their work interlaced with clips from the films.
Download the Poster
- Professor Anjali Monteiro Bio.
- Professor K.P. Jayasankar Bio.
- Interview with Monteiro and Jayasankar (2015)
- New Book by Monteiro and Jayasankar, A Fly in the Curry, out Nov. 2015.
- Interview with Monteiro and Jayasankar (2010)
- Trailer for Like Here, Like There (2011)
- Reviews of Like Here, Like There (2011) directed by Monteiro and Jayasankar
- So Heddan So Hoddan (Like Here Like There, 2011)
- So Heddan So Hoddan (Like Here Like There, 2011, 52mins)
- Remembering 1992 Project by Monteiro and Jayasankar (2014)
- Review of Remembering 1992 Project
- Trailer for Do Din Ka Mela (A Two Day Fair, 2009) directed by Monteiro and Jayasankar
- Do Din Ka Mela (A Two Day Fair, 2009, 58mins)
- Our Family (2007) directed by Monteiro and Jayasankar
- SheWrite (2005 ,55mins) directed by Monteiro and Jayasankar
- SheWrite (2005)
- Mill Mumbai Project (2015)
- Review of Mill Mumbai Project (2015)
- Project Space: Word, Sound, Power project at the Tate Modern Museum (2013)