May Festival Event Screening of The Waldheim Waltz, followed by Q&A chaired by Dr Katya Krylova
3-5pm, 25th May 2019, VIEW WEBCAST
Auditorium, King's College Conference Centre
Join renowned Austrian filmmaker Ruth Beckermann for a screening of her award-winning film The Waldheim Waltz (2018), followed by a Q&A.
Beckermann has called The Waldheim Waltz (Berlin International Film Festival 2018 Glashütte Original Documentary Award; 2019 Austrian Film Prize for Best Documentary Film) 'a film about truth and lies or "alternative facts"'. The film focuses on the international scandal sparked in the late 1980s by former UN Secretary General and Austrian president Kurt Waldheim’s deception about his Nazi past.
Hosted by the VIEW programme of the George Washington Wilson Centre for Visual Culture, with the generous support of the Austrian Cultural Forum London and the Ingeborg Bachmann Centre at the Institute of Modern Languages Research, London.
Photo © Lukas Beck
- Ruth Beckermann Official Website
- Ruth Beckermann, 2019 English-language book on the director
- The Waldheim Waltz – official English-language trailer
- The Waldheim Waltz – official English-language website
- The Waldheim Waltz – New York Times review
- The Waldheim Waltz – The Economist review
- The Waldheim Waltz – BBC World Service review
- The Waldheim Waltz – Screen Daily review
- The Waldheim Waltz – 2018 Glashütte Original Documentary Award prize acceptance speech (Ruth Beckermann)
- The Waldheim Waltz – MUBI interview with Ruth Beckermann
- The Waldheim Waltz – Austrian Film Commission interview with Ruth Beckermann
- The Waldheim Waltz – The New Yorker review
- The New Yorker Best Movies of 2018 list (incl. The Waldheim Waltz)
- The Waldheim Waltz – full list of international media reviews