Thank you to everyone who entered our competition! The results were annouced on Wednesday 3rd November 2021.
Please click here to view the winning entries!
Picture This: Photo Competition
The Athena Swan team at the Institute of Dentistry invite its staff and students to participate in a photographic competition. During the pandemic we have all missed the integration between the many groups of staff and students who attend our building. This activity is something everyone can participate in, using the power of the lens to capture and share images which are poignant and special. We are asking you to explore a selection of themes. You can be as creative as your imagination will allow, to capture images within the themes provided. You do not have to have an impressive array of photographic kit to enter, images from any type of camera are welcome, this includes phone, tablet, drone, SLR camera, etc.
The first two themes are aligned to two of the ten Athena Swan principles:
We acknowledge that academia cannot reach its full potential unless it can benefit from the talents of all.
All individuals have identities shaped by several different factors. We commit to considering the intersection of gender and other factors wherever possible.
1. Talents: Perhaps you are creative or sporty. Are you a good listener, team player or problem
solver? How can you convey this through the camera lens? It may be your talent or that of
2. Individual Identity: what or who has shaped you?
3. Summer 2021 “Getaway”: Provide a flavour of your travels this summer, far flung or on your
4. Lockdown Discovery: what have your learned or discovered during lockdown and/or working
from home that you would not otherwise have done?
All entrants must submit an entry to Theme 1 or Theme 2 (Talents or Individual Identity). You are encouraged to enter as many of the themes as you wish. One image per theme.
Please provide a narrative for your photographs on the accompanying entry form.
Who can submit entries?
Anyone who works or studies at the Institute of Dentistry or Dental Hospital - even if you are about to leave us!
How to submit entries
Send your photographs along with an entry form for each theme, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The judging panel will evaluate each entry based on how well the theme is interpreted in terms of creativity, originality and its storytelling impact. The panel will not be judging on technical aspects alone, weighting the criteria to overall creativity instead.
- £50 Amazon voucher, kindly donated by BDA.
- £25 Uber Eats vouchers, kindly donated by Wesleyan
- Goody bags including a Chilly water bottle, kindly donated by Colgate.
Other important details
- Each person can only submit one entry per theme.
- Please make sure your photographs are no larger than 3MB.
- Your photographs must be submitted as image files, eg. jpg, png, bmp etc.
- Please fully complete the entry form and include it with your entry(ies). You will require to send a separate form for each of your entries.
- Our sponsors may wish to use your submitted images, your entry signifies that you agree to this.
- Only enter an image which you have taken yourself with your own device. Please refrain from submitting images found on the internet or taken by another photographer.
- Digital enhancement of images is acceptable within reason as this is recognised as part of the photography process. Please avoid excessive re-touching.
- When capturing photos, please do not endanger yourself or others, take unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.
We may decide to use some of the submitted entries to collate a 2022 calendar. If this should go ahead we will ask permission to use the selected photographs.
27th September 2021
Early October 2021