Registration is now closed for 2017/18.
The STAR (Students Taking Active Roles) Award is your opportunity to gain University recognition for your skills and attributes development in approved roles, such as Class Rep or S4S Mentor.
The Award is delivered by the Careers Service with input from a wide range of employers and is designed to help you recognise the Aberdeen Graduate Attributes you are developing through your role.
The Award runs between October and March and involves:
- Participating in skills development workshops
- Maintaining a record of your activities
- Completing a competency-based assessment.
Achievement of the STAR Award is also recorded on your Enhanced Transcript to share with employers or postgraduate recruiters when you finish your studies.
For further information about what the Award involves and the roles recognised by the STAR Award take a look at the other tabs on this page.
The benefits of the STAR Award are varied and exciting! The majority of students who finish the Award report a marked increase in self-confidence and a real improvement in their communication skills – qualities often sought after by employers.
As the STAR Award is structured around five, employability-based Aberdeen Graduate Attributes, you can be assured that what you are learning is directly applicable to your personal development, and your future career. The Graduate Attributes explored through the Award are:
- An ability to communicate effectively for different purposes and in different contexts
- An ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A capacity for self-reflection, self-discovery and personal development
- A diverse set of transferable and generic skills
- An awareness of personal strengths and weaknesses
And if all of that was not exciting enough, we have a list of even more benefits below:
- Developing your transferable skills through participation in a series of workshops.
- Getting interview practice and tailored feedback.
- Meeting new people and networking with employers.
…and the STAR Award will also go on your Enhanced Transcript, to impress graduate employers, when you leave University!
- Get Involved
The STAR Award is split into three levels: Bronze, Silver & Gold. There are more than 60 roles recognised through STAR.
Key STAR Award dates and deadlines:
- Online STAR registration (Sept/Oct 2017)
- Attend at least THREE Employability Skills Workshops (Mid-Oct onwards)
- Submit your written submission (Feb 2018)
- Complete STAR assessment (early March 2018)
Students are to be commended on their boundless enthusiasm, but only ONE approved role may be the basis for your STAR Award in 2017-18.
We are also unable to accredit past voluntary experiences. Please visit the Saltire Awards website instead for more information about how you might have any past work certified.
- Further Information
For more information about the STAR Award, email firstname.lastname@example.org .