The Leadership Academy is a co-curricular initiative available to students at both the Aberdeen and Qatar campuses. It enables participants to develop their personal leadership skills and attributes. Participants attend a series of workshops around leadership, led by inspirational employers and leadership experts., and delivered through MyAberdeen. Students with any leadership experience, or no leadership experience, are invited to apply.
Why take part?
Taking part in the Leadership Academy will allow you to:
- Explore your own leadership style through identifying examples of leadership in practice
- Summarise different leadership styles, and the impact on teams and individuals
- Reflect on your own leadership style, considering which model(s) you prefer and why
- Create an action plan for developing your personal leadership skills
The Leadership Academy is focussed around three employability based Aberdeen Graduate Attributes:
- A capacity for self-reflection, self-discovery and personal development
Achievement of the Leadership Academy is recorded on the Enhanced Transcript.
"I found the best part of my Leadership Academy experience to be the workshops, as I found them to be very helpful in explaining the dynamics of effective leadership in working environments."
"The best part of the Leadership Academy was the group aspect, quickly meeting new people and working with their ideas as well as your own."
"I would recommend the Leadership Academy because it allows students to expand their knowledge on essential leadership topics such as unconscious bias. Furthermore, it is also provides students a with a great networking opportunity."
You can complete the Leadership Academy either in the first or the second half session.
Application dates: session 2021-22
Applications for the first half session are now closed. Applications for the second half session will open on 10 January 2022.
For further information about the Leadership Academy, have a look at our FAQs below. If you still have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I do this if I have just finished my studies?
No, this option is only available to to students who are currently registered at the University of Aberdeen or AFG.
- How will the workshops be delivered?
All workshops will be delivered online during session 2021/22. There will be a mixture of live workshops and online self-study workshops. It is anticipated that each will last 1 to 2 hours.
- What are the "live" workshops?
- If I apply, am I guaranteed a place on the Leadership Academy?
- Can I take part if I am based at the Qatar campus?
Yes, the Leadership Academy is also available on the Qatar campus. If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.
- Can I take part in the STAR Award and the Leadership Academy in the same half session?
As both programmes require you to attend three workshops and complete final assessments at a similar time, we recommend that you participate in one of these programmes at a time. As both run in both half sessions, you could still complete the Leadership Academy and achieve a STAR Award in one academic year, provided you carry out a role recognised by the STAR Award.
- Do I need to have achieved the STAR Award before applying to the Leadership Academy?
No. The Leadership Academy is available to any student who wishes to explore and develop their leadership skills further.
- Can I achieve a Leadership Academy Award for my past voluntary experiences, where I’ve had a leadership role?
No. We are unable to accredit past voluntary experiences. Please visit the AUSA Saltire Awards website for more information about how you might be able to achieve certification for any past volunteering roles.
- Can I take part in the Leadership Academy more than once?
No. You can only participate in the Leadership Academy once during your studies at the University of Aberdeen.
- What are the three Leadership Academy activities I need to undertake?
- I signed up for a workshop and can’t now attend. What should I do?
You should cancel your place as soon as possible and certainly no later than 9.00 am on the day of the workshop. Many of our workshops have waiting lists. If you do not cancel, you prevent another student from attending.
- By when do I need to complete my Leadership Academy Assessment?
- What happens if I am unsuccessful in my Leadership Academy Assessment?
You will be given one opportunity to revise your assessment and resubmit by a specified deadline.
- I applied unsuccessfully to the Leadership Academy in previous years. Can I apply again?
Yes. You are welcome to apply again.