The Aberdeen Internship is an award winning summer placement programme, exclusively for undergraduate students at the University of Aberdeen. Interns complete a 10 week project within one of the University’s Professional Services sections. Successful completion of the Internship is recorded as an accredited activity on the Intern's Enhanced Transcript.
Applications for the Aberdeen Internship 2021 are closed.
My internship within the university has provided me with opportunities to use aspects of my engineering degree on real life projects and problems that I wouldn’t normally experience until after I graduate. The level of trust and responsibility given to me by my department enabled me to participate in multiple additional projects during my internship and inspired me to specialise my degree towards Carbon Management.
Roederer Lyne, Energy & Carbon Management Assistant Intern
Eligibility and application procedures
- The Aberdeen Internship is a paid, 10 week summer placement programme.
- In order to apply you must be a registered undergraduate student at the University of Aberdeen.
- If you have completed a previous Aberdeen Internship or Intern+ Internship, unfortunately you are ineligible to apply to the Aberdeen Internship.
- These roles are based in the UK and as such the successful candidates will be required to live and work in the UK from the date you commence employment. You can apply and interview from anywhere but must be in the UK at the start of your employment contract.
- It is strongly recommended that you view the Careers and Employability Service's mini career course on CVs and covering letters before applying. You can receive feedback on your document(s) prior to submitting your application by either using our Virtual Adviser service on CareerConnect or by booking an online CV/ Application appointment. More information on these services.
- Applications are accessed and submitted via the University’s Jobs Website.
- You can apply for as many Aberdeen Internships as you like. A separate application should be submitted for each, and you should tailor each application to the specific skills and experiences required within the person specifications.
Aberdeen Internships 2021 (applications closed)
- Orientation and onboarding for New and Returning Students, Student Experience
The transition to University is one of the most challenging events in a student's life, and it is imperative that the we continue to review and improve upon practices to help orientate students to University life. As we prepare for the start of the next academic year there is an opportunity to further enhance orientation for both for new and returning students. This project will support the creation of a more blended approach to orientation by developing a programme of events to compliment the online orientation, as well as focusing on the needs of returning students transitioning between years. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly organised and creative student to make a real difference to all students’ University journey.
- Brand Communications Intern, External Relations
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Brand Communications team as we embark on a project to refine the brand of the University. The brand refinement project will take stock of where our brand is currently in terms of global perception. We will then take action to improve our brand and reputation by refining the brand to convey what we want to be known for. This will hopefully result in an improved reputation, improved rankings, improved student recruitment and improved awareness of our research excellence. This role will involve active participation in the full process, helping to cement the brand of the University and make a positive impact on it’s future success.
- Reviewing University Title Deeds in advance of Land Registration, Estates and Facilities
Are you a law student with an interest in the built heritage of the University? As part of the process to apply for Voluntary Land Registration, we need to work out exactly what land the University owns, from the obvious areas covered by recent deeds to ancient parts where the ownership documents are hundreds of years old and held in Special Collections. If getting down and dirty with the archives sounds like fun to you, apply for the Land Registration internship today!
- Developing International Audiences and Student Engagement with University of Aberdeen Collection, Digital and Information Systems: Museums and Special Collections
‘Do you love museums and archives? Are you enthusiastic about communicating online? Can you always find the right story for social media? Work with the University’s Museums and Special Collections to publicise our online events and exhibitions, and spread the word about our fantastic collections!’
- Data Integrity Project, Development Trust
The University of Aberdeen Development Trust is seeking to appoint a Summer Intern to work on a database integrity project, in preparation for the launch of a major fundraising campaign. This role would suit applicants looking to gain experience of working with a Customer Relationship Management system, and contributing to the fundraising success of the University. Anyone with, or looking for CRM/database experience, or a role in a charity/third sector, should consider applying. Great research skills, an inquiring mind and keen eye for detail are essential. Our fundraising successes provided life-changing opportunities for students and this role will underpin the success of our corporate fundraising programme.
- Analysis and Investigation of Current Research Information Systems and Research Repositories in the UK, Digital and Information Systems (Library), Research and Innovation
Our project seeks to understand the current market for Research Information and repository systems, inviting the views and experiences of UK system users. We will engage Higher Education Institutions, across the UK, and report our findings. To help us achieve this we are looking to recruit a confident communicator with good organisation and analytical skills, and an interest in open research.
- Engaging communications for the PGR applicant journey, Postgraduate Research School (Research and Innovation) and Postgraduate Admissions
Help us shape the PGR student applicant journey. Work with current students and academic schools to map the messages we send to prospective PGR students and develop new and engaging messages to help students to start their research journey with us.
- Social Media Clearing Support Intern, Engagement and Conversion, External Relations
This is a great opportunity for a creative individual, who is interested in both story-telling and communication using social media, to join us during this busy time. Clearing is an incredibly important time for the University and the digital marketing team run a large campaign across a wide range of platforms, with the aim of recruiting students. The Social Media Clearing Support Intern would support us in both our organic and paid social media activity in the lead up to results day, as well as support the Social Media Officer with other social media activity.
- Developing a toolkit to support the student learning experience, Centre for Academic Development
Building upon findings from our previous student intern project, which focussed upon evaluating the blended learning experiences of students, we are now looking to recruit a student intern to build a Toolkit to support student learning. Such a Toolkit will be an online resource providing help and guidance to students in order to enhance their learning experiences whilst studying at the University of Aberdeen.
- Supporting an inclusive research culture, Research and Innovation
We're looking for an Intern with excellent communication skills and experience of creating online content to drive forward the University's work on supporting an inclusive research culture. You will work closely with the University's Research Culture group to create engaging resources, develop an online toolkit, and facilitate discussion with different stakeholders. This is an exciting and topical area of work across the University sector, and you will play a key part in supporting engagement with Aberdeen's research community.
- Supporting preparations for COP26, Research and Innovation, External Relations and Centre for Energy Transition
The successful intern work with Research & Innovation, External relations and the Centre for Energy Transition to research current practice on delivering such hackathons particularly aimed at policies for climate change and to develop the plan for its delivery, including the communicating plan. The intern will also be responsible for researching the options to present and producing material in support of the programme of other events as part of university’s contributions to COP26. This will involve communication with staff and students from across the university to collate and summarise the ideas for incorporating in the events, and identifying the best approach to present the ideas suitable for the external audiences.
The successful intern will develop skills aligned with the UoA Graduate Attributes, developing skills in critical thinking, research methodology and effective communication. The intern will develop confidence in working independently, leading a project, and engaging with a range of University staff at different levels.
- Maximising student engagement in the co-curriculum, Careers and Employability Service
This project requires a confident communicator and collaborative team worker who is able to demonstrate initiative and an interest in enhancing student employability. The successful intern will work with the Careers and Employability team and wider stakeholders to ensure students are informed about and able to maximise the value of engaging with the full range of co-curricular opportunities.
- Aberdeen Internships 2019
- Communications - External Relations
- Student Support Services - Student Support Services
- Online Education Data Analyst - Registry Services
- Brand Stories - Marketing & Student Recruitment
- Strategic Digital Review - Development Trust
- Talking Research - Research & Innovation
- Language Centre Student Experience - Language Centre
- Careers Service - Careers Service
- Widening Access & Articulation Support - Marketing & Student Recruitment
- Factors influencing Engagement with Student Surveys - Planning
- Communication, Engagement & Accessibility in MyAberdeen - Centre for Academic Development
- Aberdeen Internships 2018
- Digital Media - Divinity, History & Philosophy
- Access Aberdeen and Outreach Activity - Marketing & Student Recruitment
- Gender Action Plan - Directorate of Planning
- Digital Content & Social Media Strategy - Aberdeen Centre for Health Data Science
- Student Course Evaluation - Centre for Academic Development
- Digital Asset Management - External Relations
- Asset Management - Estates & Facilities
- Online Education - Directorate of Student & Academic Services
- Postgraduate Research School Marketing - Research & Innovation
- Student Course Evaluation - Centre for Academic Development
- Quality Assurance - Business School
- Website Redevelopment - Student Experience
- Student Experience Enhancement - School of Education
- PowerBI for Research Reporting - Research & Innovation
- Digital Marketing & Communications Analyst - Marketing & Student Recruitment
- North Atlantic Fiddle Convention Festival - Elphinstone Institute
- Communications Assistant - Student Experience
- Aberdeen Internships 2016
- Swimming Analysis Assistant
- Database Compilation and IT Services Coordination Assistant
- eLearning Intern
- Energy & Carbon Management Assistant
- Healthy Working Lives and Well-being Intern
- PG Admissions Intern
- Planning Intern
- Printed Collections Project Assistant
- Research & Innovation Intern
- Virtual Server Kiosk Development Intern
- Student Surveys Data Analyst
- Widening Access Intern
- Aberdeen Internships 2015
- Educational Developer Intern, Centre for Academic Development
- Student Engagement and Employability Assistant, School of Divinity, History and Philosophy
- Aberdeen Intern, Library, Special Collections & Museums
- Alumni Relations Assistant – Reunions, Alumni Relations
- CASS Graduate School Intern, College of Arts and Social Sciences
- eLearning Intern, Centre for Academic Development
- Gaelic Language Plan, Policy Planning and Governance
- Institutional Student Survey Analyst, Centre for Academic Development
- Management Information Reporting Intern, Policy Planning and Governance
- Researchers' Digital Journey, External Relations
- Staff Development Partner, Human Resources