The Aberdeen Internship is an award winning summer placement programme, exclusively for undergraduate students in their second or third year (or fourth year of a five year course) at the University of Aberdeen. Interns complete a 10 week project within one of the University’s Professional Services sections. Successful completion of the Internship is recorded as an accredited activity on the Intern's Enhanced Transcript.
Applications for the Aberdeen Internship 2022 are closed.
My internship within the university has provided me with opportunities to use aspects of my engineering degree on real life projects and problems that I wouldn’t normally experience until after I graduate. The level of trust and responsibility given to me by my department enabled me to participate in multiple additional projects during my internship and inspired me to specialise my degree towards Carbon Management.
Roederer Lyne, Energy & Carbon Management Assistant Intern
Eligibility and application procedures
- The Aberdeen Internship is a paid, 10 week summer placement programme.
- In order to apply you must be a registered undergraduate student at the University of Aberdeen in your second or third year (or fourth year of a five year course). For the Aberdeen Internship 2022, you must be graduating in 2023 or 2024.
- If you have completed a previous Aberdeen Internship or InternPlus Internship, unfortunately you are ineligible to apply to the Aberdeen Internship.
- These roles are based in the UK and as such the successful candidates will be required to live and work in the UK from the date you commence employment. You can apply and interview from anywhere but must be in the UK at the start of your employment contract.
- It is strongly recommended that you view the Careers and Employability Service's mini career course on CVs and covering letters before applying. You can receive feedback on your document(s) prior to submitting your application by either using our Virtual Adviser service on CareerConnect or by booking an online CV/ Application appointment. More information on these services.
- Applications are accessed and submitted via the University’s Jobs Website.
- You can apply for as many Aberdeen Internship projects as you like. A separate application should be submitted for each, and you should tailor each application to the specific skills and experiences required within the person specifications.
Aberdeen Internships 2022 - applications closed
- Charity Researcher, Web Development and Communications Organiser, Directorate of Biological Sciences
Can you help a charity to reinvigorate itself, modernise and expand both its membership and the scope of its activities? Are you social media savvy, can you create publicity campaigns and organise events? We need and intern preferably with some website design know-how, to help us move forward by improving our internal communications and visibility both on and offline. You would need to be confident liaising with different types of external organisations. Most of all are you passionate about plants, green spaces and gardens?
Please note this is a part time post, working 18.25hours per week for 10 weeks.
- Researching, Collating and Creating Mental Health Resources, University of Aberdeen Counselling Service
Are you interested in student mental health and well-being, and curious about how best to support young adults through their university years? Would you like to find out what mental health resources are out there to help our student body cope with their daily struggles – and get involved in creating new resources that our Counselling Service can deliver?
- Creation of alumni and donor impact stories content bank, Development and Alumni Relations
A confident communicator with a keen eye for detail and a passion for storytelling. This role is a great opportunity to use and develop your content creation, editorial and digital skills. You will support the Development and Alumni Relations team by planning and developing a bank of engaging, compelling, and high-quality content that helps promote the stories of our global family of alumni and supporters as we work towards launching a major fundraising campaign.
- Aberdeen 2040: Supporting our academics to deliver our research ambitions, Grants Academy (Research and Innovation) & Directorate of Digital and Information Services
This project requires a confident communicator and collaborative team worker who is able to demonstrate initiative and an interest in enhancing research activity. The successful intern will work with the Aberdeen Grants Academy, the Training and Documentation team and wider stakeholders to ensure our research community understands how to not only engage and leverage existing support available to help drive research activity, but also raise awareness of a new research facility that is envisaged will enhance opportunities available to our researchers to undertake impactful, data-driven interdisciplinary research.
- Bespoke matrix of innovative tools for online delivery of skills training, Research and Innovation (Postgraduate Research School)
Are you an avid online learner, keen to explore innovative tools for students’ online engagement? Would you like to help others to enhance their experience of online courses? Work with the Postgraduate Research School to identify the best online tools to help with training and development of our PhD researchers!
- Developing a framework for EDI good practice in engagement activities, Research and Innovation
Interested in promoting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion across the University? We are looking for a confident communicator able to work with different teams involved in external engagement to develop a process for capturing and monitoring EDI data. Great research skills and an inquiring mind are essential. You will need to demonstrate initiative and creativity to proactively seek solutions for complex data gathering and recording. You will in turn gain experience of the various types of engagement activities across the University and how these are coordinated in different settings.
- Developing a University of Aberdeen work placements and work-based learning toolkit, Careers and Employability Service
The University of Aberdeen Careers and Employability Service is looking to appoint an intern to develop an interactive toolkit for staff to easily run or develop new work-based learning opportunities within their courses and programmes. If you like organising multiple complex pieces of information into a more manageable structure and like using technology in new and novel ways to develop solutions, this project is for you! Strong organisation and analytical skills, with confidence in using technology is essential. This intern role is critical to the work the University is doing to upscale work placements and work-based learning opportunities for our students.
- “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place” – Breaking through the illusion to reality, Estates and Facilities
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”
In Estates and Facilities, we need to break through the illusion to make meaningful communication a reality. As technical specialists in our own fields, we are looking for a people-person, someone who can work with us to first understand what we do and why we are passionate about it, and then help us transform that passion into a story we can tell to the world. You’ll need to be a confident, clear communicator in person and in writing, and competent in an online environment. Are you up for the challenge?
- Decolonising the curriculum , Digital and Information Services | Library Services
Are you passionate about promoting equality, diversity and inclusion? Are you an active listener who is considerate of varied ideas and approaches? Can you synthesise information from a range of sources? If so, work with the University’s Library Services to promote decolonisation, share best practice from across academic programmes and develop guidance to further the equality, diversity and inclusion agenda at Aberdeen.
- Statistical Analysis of Online Study Behaviours, Online Education, Directorate of Academic Services and Online Education
Do you love number-crunching? Do you like getting stuck in with complex datasets and finding answers that will improve the experience of other students? The successful intern will work with the Online Education team to help us learn more about how online students think and behave, and how we can provide the best support to help them succeed.
- Online student case study project (listening project/storytelling project), Online Education
Are you enthusiastic, creative, empathetic, outgoing and confident? Would your friends describe you as an active listener? Do you use your communication skills to make people feel comfortable in sharing their experiences with you? Are you a natural storyteller? If so, you may be the right candidate for a summer internship with the Online Education team interviewing online students about their experiences and writing testimonials and case studies for a variety of media.
- Chinese Social Media (content production) project (2 posts - part-time), International Office
The International Office is seeking two student interns who are enthusiastic, creative, and motivated to join our Team China. You will work on the hottest topics generating engaging content for our Chinese social media platforms. Your work will be supported by our Team China, and the wider International Office, providing you with excellent insights into the student recruitment sector. If you are passionate about your Aberdeen Experience, can evidence strong content creation ability and want to share that with our prospective student audience, we want to hear from you.
Please note these are part-time posts working 9 hours per week for 20 weeks and are open to PGT students as well as students expecting to graduate in 2023 or 2024.
- Improving the visitor experience of Digital and Information Services, Directorate of Digital and Information Services: Museums and Special Collections
Are you a great communicator, able to create clear and straightforward information? Do you love libraries, museums and archives? Are you passionate about environmental sustainability and making visitor facilities accessible for those with disabilities? Join Libraries, Museums and Special Collections to improve our online visitor information on websites and social media as we open up to the public.
- Engagement and Conversion Market Research Intern, Engagement and Conversion, External Relations
Do you want to gain valuable higher education digital marketing, enquiry management and customer service experience? The Engagement and Conversion team have a great opportunity for an enthusiastic and self-motivated student this summer. This exciting internship will be ideal for those who have an interest in research and reporting and will use these skills to benchmark against the University’s competitors.
- UNI-Versal – Project Co-ordinator, Public Affairs, Stakeholder Engagement and Events (PASE)
Are you interested in events, marketing, comms and digital and using these skills to bring people together to enjoy creative and cultural experiences? If so, this role may be for you. Working with the Public Affairs, Stakeholder Engagement and Events (PASE) team you will be a key member of the team, assisting in all aspects of programming, organising and administrating to support colleagues across the University to develop and deliver a series of mini festivals, taking place for the first time this year on campus and in Aberdeen City Centre. You’ll be a flexible and creative individual, willing to support whatever is necessary to ensure we devise and deliver high quality events with colleagues from across the University, partners in the city centre and local communities.
- Contextualising Graduate Outcomes Data, Directorate of Planning and the Careers & Employability Service
Do you like analysing lots of data? Do you enjoy working in a dynamic team? Do you have the motivation to help the University to help your fellow students? If the answer is yes to these questions, then this is the project for you!
The University Directorate of Planning and the Careers & Employability Service are wishing to appoint an intern to analyse data from the Graduate Outcomes (GO) survey. GO is a major survey that forms part of our internal strategy and affects our external league table performance, so it is critical to fully understand our GO data. Therefore, we need someone who has confidence handling complex data sets and is willing to show initiative and drive to create inventive ways of analysing this data. Excellent teamworking and ability to work with a variety of colleagues is also critical to the role.
- Addressing gender disparities in employment contract types to address the leaky pipeline, Human Resources Specialist Services
The University of Aberdeen Human Resources Specialist Services Team is seeking to appoint a forward-thinking and driven summer intern who is passionate about equality, diversity and inclusion. This exciting role would suit applicants with strong organisational skills and an interest in critically analysing data in order to develop sustainable sector-leading changes to advance gender equality in employment.
- Data Safe Haven Intern, Directorate of Digital and Information Services – Digital Research Services (Grampian Data Safe Haven)
The Grampian Data Safe Haven is seeking to appoint a Summer Intern to work on a metadata improvement project which will expand visibility of our suite of healthcare datasets and improve the quality of our metadata for researchers and data analysts. If you are interested in how data about data is compiled, how healthcare data is maintained in a secure, trusted research environment or in creating a metadata database for backend and front-end use, you should consider applying. You will gain analytical and relational skills between datasets, provenance and context in a real-world environment, and you will also develop your communication skills through working with Data Analysts, Researchers and external organisations.
- Aberdeen Internships 2021
- Orientation and onboarding for New and Returning Students - Student Experience
- Brand Communications - External Relations
- Reviewing University Title Deeds in advance of Land Registration - Estates and Facilities
- Developing International Audiences and Student Engagement with University of Aberdeen Collection - Digital and Information Systems: Museums and Special Collections
- Data Integrity - Development Trust
- Analysis and Investigation of Current Research Information Systems and Research Repositories in the UK - Digital and Information Systems (Library), Research and Innovation
- Engaging communications for the PGR applicant journey - Postgraduate Research School (Research and Innovation) and Postgraduate Admissions
- Social Media Clearing Support - Engagement and Conversion, External Relations
- Developing a toolkit to support the student learning experience - Centre for Academic Development
- Supporting an inclusive research culture - Research and Innovation
- Supporting preparations for COP26, Research and Innovation, External Relations and Centre for Energy Transition
- Maximising student engagement in the co-curriculum, Careers and Employability Service
- Aberdeen Internships 2019
- Communications - External Relations
- Student Support Services - Student Support Services
- Online Education Data Analyst - Registry Services
- Brand Stories - Marketing & Student Recruitment
- Strategic Digital Review - Development Trust
- Talking Research - Research & Innovation
- Language Centre Student Experience - Language Centre
- Careers Service - Careers Service
- Widening Access & Articulation Support - Marketing & Student Recruitment
- Factors influencing Engagement with Student Surveys - Planning
- Communication, Engagement & Accessibility in MyAberdeen - Centre for Academic Development
- Aberdeen Internships 2018
- Digital Media - Divinity, History & Philosophy
- Access Aberdeen and Outreach Activity - Marketing & Student Recruitment
- Gender Action Plan - Directorate of Planning
- Digital Content & Social Media Strategy - Aberdeen Centre for Health Data Science
- Student Course Evaluation - Centre for Academic Development
- Digital Asset Management - External Relations
- Asset Management - Estates & Facilities
- Online Education - Directorate of Student & Academic Services
- Postgraduate Research School Marketing - Research & Innovation
- Student Course Evaluation - Centre for Academic Development
- Quality Assurance - Business School
- Website Redevelopment - Student Experience
- Student Experience Enhancement - School of Education
- PowerBI for Research Reporting - Research & Innovation
- Digital Marketing & Communications Analyst - Marketing & Student Recruitment
- North Atlantic Fiddle Convention Festival - Elphinstone Institute
- Communications Assistant - Student Experience
- Aberdeen Internships 2016
- Swimming Analysis Assistant
- Database Compilation and IT Services Coordination Assistant
- eLearning Intern
- Energy & Carbon Management Assistant
- Healthy Working Lives and Well-being Intern
- PG Admissions Intern
- Planning Intern
- Printed Collections Project Assistant
- Research & Innovation Intern
- Virtual Server Kiosk Development Intern
- Student Surveys Data Analyst
- Widening Access Intern
- Aberdeen Internships 2015
- Educational Developer Intern, Centre for Academic Development
- Student Engagement and Employability Assistant, School of Divinity, History and Philosophy
- Aberdeen Intern, Library, Special Collections & Museums
- Alumni Relations Assistant – Reunions, Alumni Relations
- CASS Graduate School Intern, College of Arts and Social Sciences
- eLearning Intern, Centre for Academic Development
- Gaelic Language Plan, Policy Planning and Governance
- Institutional Student Survey Analyst, Centre for Academic Development
- Management Information Reporting Intern, Policy Planning and Governance
- Researchers' Digital Journey, External Relations
- Staff Development Partner, Human Resources