The Aberdeen Internship is an award winning summer placement programme, exclusively for undergraduate students at the University of Aberdeen. Interns complete a 10 week project within one of the University’s administrative departments, and undertake a programme of professional development, which concentrates on developing the Aberdeen Graduate Attributes.
The Internship ends with a presentation event, where Interns present their work visually and orally to an invited audience of University staff. Successful completion of the Internship is recorded as an accredited activity on the Intern's Enhanced Transcript.
Details about the 2018 Aberdeen Internship will be available during spring 2018.
Aberdeen Internship video:
My internship within the university has provided me with opportunities to use aspects of my engineering degree on real life projects and problems that I wouldn’t normally experience until after I graduate. The level of trust and responsibility given to me by my department enabled me to participate in multiple additional projects during my internship and inspired me to specialise my degree towards Carbon Management.
Roederer Lyne, Energy & Carbon Management Assistant Intern, 2016
- The Aberdeen Internship is a paid, 10 week summer placement programme. During the Internship, students are provided with a programme of professional development courses.
- For session 2017/18, undergraduate students at the University of Aberdeen expecting to graduate in 2019 or 2020, are eligible to apply. Applicants who do not fulfil this criteria will not be considered.
- Please do not apply without reviewing the Careers Service guidance on preparing CVs and covering letters.
- Application checks for reviewing CVs are available on weekdays at the Careers Service: you can book a 15 minute appointment via our website.
- Applications are accessed and submitted via the University’s Jobs Website.
- You can apply for a maximum of 3 Aberdeen Internships: a separate application should be submitted for each, and you should tailor each application to the specific skills and experiences required within the person specifications.
- Previous Projects
Aberdeen Internships 2016
During summer 2016, the following Internships were advertised (please note the closing date has now passed):
- Swimming Analysis Assistant
- Database Compilation and IT Services Coordination Assistant
- eLearning Intern
- Energy & Carbon Management Assistant
- Healthy Working Lives and Well-being Intern
- PG Admissions Intern
- Planning Intern
- Printed Collections Project Assistant
- Research & Innovation Intern
- Virtual Server Kiosk Development Intern
- Student Surveys Data Analyst
- Widening Access Intern
Aberdeen Internship 2015
During summer 2015, 12 Aberdeen Interns undertook 10 week summer placements in various professional support services within the University. Their internships concluded at a presentation event in August 2015, where they delivered oral presentations to an audience of University staff, and presented posters detailing how their internship had helped achieve the Aberdeen Graduate Attributes.
The Aberdeen Internship 2015 projects were:
- Educational Developer Intern, Centre for Academic Development.
- Student Engagement and Employability Assistant, School of Divinity, History and Philosophy.
- Aberdeen Intern, Library, Special Collections & Museums.
- Alumni Relations Assistant – Reunions, Alumni Relations.
- CASS Graduate School Intern, College of Arts and Social Sciences.
- eLearning Intern, Centre for Academic Development.
- Gaelic Language Plan, Policy Planning and Governance.
- Institutional Student Survey Analyst, Centre for Academic Development.
- Management Information Reporting Intern, Policy Planning and Governance.
- Researchers' Digital Journey, External Relations.
- Staff Development Partner, Human Resources.