Dr. Abdul-Salam is an applied economist with long-standing research interest in energy economics. A significant aspect of his work involves economic modelling using constrained optimisation techniques (e.g. linear, non-linear and mixed integer programming, genetic algorithms, multi-objective optimisation, etc.) and empirical analysis techniques (e.g. time series and panel data econometrics). He is an expert in GAMS (General Algebraic Modelling Systems), MATLAB and STATA software. His previous research focused on issues related to access to energy in developing countries; and design, development and maintenance of standalone and/or web-based economic assessment software. More recently however, his research is focused on oil and gas economics, with emphasis on the UK Continental Shelf. He currently holds the University of Aberdeen Strategic Investment Position for research in Oil and Gas Economics with a focus on North Sea Decommissioning.
Dr. Abdul-Salam is part of the Aberdeen Centre for Research in Energy Economics and Finance (ACREEF). Within the University of Aberdeen Business School, he is programme director of the MSc Law and the Economics of Oil and Gas. Prior to joining the University of Aberdeen, he worked as a Research Fellow at the Centre for Energy Economics Research and Policy (CEERP) at the Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, UK. Within CEERP, he was involved in high dimensional data analytics and database management towards the publication of the BP Statistical Review of World Energy and the BP Energy Outlook, serving as lead analyst on oil, gas and coal trade; global refinery capacities and throughput; and global minerals production (e.g. cobalt, lithium, graphite) for electric battery technologies. He is an honorary Research Fellow at the James Hutton Institute in Aberdeen and has served as consultant for the Scottish Graduate School of Social Science, providing training in use of GAMS for constrained optimisation research. He has refereed for several international journals including Energy Economics, Energy Policy and Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Oil and Gas Economics; Financial Modelling; Decommissioning; UK Continential Shelf; Access to Energy; Developing Countries
- Further Info
Programme Director; MSc Law and the Economics of Oil and Gas
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 12
- Abdul-Salam, Y 2019 'Evaluating the Impact of Brexit on Natural Gas Trade between the UK and the EU: A Spatial Equilibrium Analysis' CEERP Working Paper, Heriot-Watt University.
- Abdul-Salam, Y & Phimister, E 2019, 'Modelling the impact of market imperfections on farm household investment in stand-alone solar PV systems', World Development , vol. 116, pp. 66-76. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2018.12.007
- Abdul-Salam, Y, Hawes, C, Roberts, D & Young, M 2019, 'The economics of alternative crop production systems in the context of farmer participation in carbon trading markets', Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 67-91. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/21683565.2018.1537986
- Abdul-Salam, Y 2018, 'A Stochastic Anaerobic Digestion Economic Assessment Tool (SADEAT)', SoftwareX, vol. 7, pp. 190-197. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.softx.2018.05.004
- Abdul-Salam, Y & Roberts, D 2018, 'Determinants of off-farm work and its effect on agricultural input intensity' Paper presented at Agricultural Economics Society 92nd Annual Conference, Coventry, United Kingdom, 16/04/18 - 18/04/18, .
- Colen, L, Melo, PC, Abdul-Salam, Y, Roberts, D, Mary, S & Gomez Y Paloma, S 2018, 'Income elasticities for food, calories and nutrients across Africa: A meta-analysis', Food Policy, vol. 77, pp. 116-132. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.04.002
- Vinten, A, Sample, J, Ibiyemi, A, Abdul-Salam, Y & Stutter, M 2017, 'A tool for cost-effectiveness analysis of field scale sediment-bound phosphorus mitigation measures and application to analysis of spatial and temporal targeting in the Lunan Water catchment, Scotland', Science of the Total Environment, vol. 586, pp. 631-641. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.02.034
- Abdul-Salam, Y, Ehlers, MH & Harnmeijer, J 2017, 'Anaerobic digestion of feedstock grown on marginal land: Break-even electricity prices', Energies, vol. 10, no. 9, 1416. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/en10091416
- Abdul-Salam, Y & Phimister, E 2017, 'Efficiency Effects of Access to Information on Small-scale Agriculture: Empirical Evidence from Uganda using Stochastic Frontier and IRT Models', Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 494-517. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1477-9552.12194
- Abdul-Salam, Y & Phimister, E 2016, 'How effective are heuristic solutions for electricity planning in developing countries', Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, vol. 55, pp. 14-24. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seps.2016.04.004