An expert in scenario planning from the University of Aberdeen Business School was front and centre at a gathering of over 150 business leaders that took place in Aberdeen last week.
Mark Whittington, programme leader for the MSc Finance & Investment Management, joined the line-up of speakers at the Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce’s Business Breakfast, which took place at the Hilltop Treetops Hotel.
Mark was joined by Wim Thomas, chief energy advisor and head of the energy analysis team in Shell’s Global Scenario Group, to provide expert advice on the importance of planning for the future.
Wim gave an overview of Shell Scenarios, which help governments, academia and business to understand future uncertainties and possibilities.
Meanwhile, Mark discussed how an accountancy-based perspective to scenario planning can encourage a different way of thinking about opportunities that will bring benefits in a range of scenarios.
Mark said: “The first key point about scenario planning is that you can’t plan the future without making sure you understand where you are today. The second is that you should think about alternative futures, however unpleasant they may be, and how you would react to each one to survive and thrive.”
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items for February 2013
- Mar There are no items for March 2013
- Apr There are no items for April 2013
- May There are no items for May 2013
- Jul There are no items for July 2013
- Aug There are no items for August 2013
- Sep There are no items for September 2013
- Oct There are no items for October 2013
- Jan There are no items for January 2012
- Feb There are no items for February 2012
- Mar There are no items for March 2012
- Apr There are no items for April 2012
- May There are no items for May 2012
- Jul There are no items for July 2012
- Aug There are no items for August 2012
- Sep There are no items for September 2012
- Nov There are no items for November 2012