Previous experience of mentoring is not necessary, rather good communication skills and a non-judgemental manner. The programme runs for a 6-month period during the academic year between November and April and is open to graduates based worldwide.
Benefits to You
- Career development - polish your people management and relationship building skills.
- A new perspective - look at your own job with fresh eyes.
- Increased job satisfaction.
- Keep up to date with developments in higher education and qualification structures.
- Broaden your professional network.
- Continuing professional development (CPD).
What Skills and Abilities do I Need?
- Be able to communicate effectively with students and University of Aberdeen staff involved in mentoring.
- Be able to apply your own knowledge and life experiences when advising and supporting students in their decision-making about the development of their employability and what to do after they leave university.
- Be clear about confidentiality and understand the importance of mentoring boundaries.
- Be willing to ask for support when and if needed.
Personal Attitude and Values
- Demonstrate a positive approach towards University of Aberdeen students and be motivated by the need to support their career development.
- Demonstrate a receptive and non-judgemental attitude towards University of Aberdeen students of any gender, sexual identity, ethnic origin, culture, religion or who may have a disability.
- Show a willingness to be open and to share your experiences and advice.
- Prepare fully for involvement in the programme.
- Be able to commit to 1-2 hours per month to the mentorship between November and April. You can interact with your mentee either face-to-face or virtually, by phone, email or Skype.
- Provide the institution with feedback on your experience to help us plan future developments.
- Celebrate your mentoring partnership and achievements with the institution.
If you would like to talk to us about the Career Mentoring Programme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.