As part of our efforts to engage with the Aberdeen family, we collect information on our alumni, non-alumni members of the General Council, and members of our parent and family programme. We also collect very basic data on people who attend University events and who do not fall into any of the three categories above. This notice explains how we use any personal information that we collect in this regard.
Information that we collect about you
The University uses a secure relationship management database which holds the following types of information. Please note that we do not hold all types of information for all individuals.
- Personal details – title, name, gender preference, date of birth, and familial relationships. We also record date of death, if applicable and if known.
- Contact details – postal address(es), email address(es), telephone number(s)
- Job titles, employer, and work contact details
- Personal interests, University event attendance, University volunteering activity, and records of meetings and/or correspondence with colleagues at the University
In addition to the above:
- If alumni, the subject of your degree and your year of graduation
- If non-alumni members of the General Council, your position at the University
- If a member of the parent and family programme, the name, degree subject, and anticipated year of graduation of your family member studying with us
Alumni information is obtained from your record within the University’s Student Record System, which was kept by the University during your period of study. Information on non-alumni members of the General Council is obtained from your record within the University’s Human Resources database.
Information on parent and family programme members is obtained from the application form that you submit to us in order to join the programme.
We also collect information that you submit to us through the University’s online Alumni Hub or in response to mailings and other types of communication. We may also add information obtained from public sources and that which is provided to us at our request by companies which provide valid contact details.
Why we collect this information
We collect this information for the following purposes:
- Administering the General Council;
- Providing benefits and services to alumni and parents and families; and
- Informing alumni and parents and families about University news, opportunities, activities and events.
University-related news can include but is not limited to: alumni, student, and staff achievements, volunteering opportunities with the University, campus-related developments and initiatives, changes to our curriculum and teaching, and the impact of gifts to the University through our partnership with the Development Trust.
Disclosing your information
We share personal information with the University of Aberdeen Development Trust by providing their staff with access to the University’s relationship management database.
The University of Aberdeen Development Trust is a charity registered in Scotland founded in 1982 with the sole purpose of attracting charitable donations to provide benefit to the University of Aberdeen. Personal information is shared with the Development Trust for its fundraising activities. The Development Trust has a separate privacy notice describing the way it uses your personal data.
We also provide your personal information to third-party suppliers in order to distribute the University alumni magazine, Voice.
We do not routinely share your information with any third parties without your consent. We may disclose information to other recipients in exceptional circumstances, for example to the Higher Educational Statistics Authority, or when required to do so by law.
Accessing and updating your information
You can update your personal information and manage your preferences for contact with the University at any time by contacting the Alumni Relations team directly.
You have the right of access to the information we hold about you. If you wish to access the information we hold about you, you can complete a subject access request and further details are available on the data protection page on the University website.
If you would like further information on the way in which the University handles your personal information, please contact us at:
Alumni Relations, Powis Gate, College Bounds, Aberdeen, AB24 3UG
Updated June 2017
 The term ‘alumni’ refers to graduates, honorary graduates, former non-graduating exchange or study abroad students of the University, and graduates of institutions that have since merged with the University