Current students

Current students


Students fees and finance

Last updated 3rd August 2021

1. ​​​​​​How do I pay my tuition fees, accommodation fees or other debt?

With the exception of face to face payments at the Infohub, the University will continue to accept payment as normal.  The quickest and easiest way to make payment is by credit or debit card using our secure ePayments portal.   All other payment methods will take longer than normal to process.


Information on our payment methods are available on the web at Making a Payment.

2. Have you received my payment?

We do not automatically send receipts for payments but if you require a confirmation, email  However be aware it may take us longer than normal to allocate your payment.

3.  Will my Direct Debit still be collected?

Payment by Direct Debit will continue to be collected on or just after the payment date shown in your agreement.

4. Will I be able to request a payment plan or Direct Debit online?

We will continue to accept requests for payment plans and direct debits online. However, it will take us longer than normal to respond to your request. 

5. Can I speak to someone about my debt?

We will not be providing our face to face Credit Control service desk at the Infohub, however you can still contact us at

Further information on managing money can be found on our student support pages.

6. I'm a volunteer - will I still receive my payment?

We will continue to process requests for volunteer payments where payment is to be made by BACS, though payment will be slower than normal.  We cannot provide cash for research volunteer payments.

7. I am in financial hardship as a direct consquence of the global pandemic. Am I eligible for financial assistance?

If you are having financial difficulties, please visit our Hardship Fund webpage for further information on how to apply. The funds are limited and will be prioritised on a case by case basis.

How long will it take for money to reach me, if I am successful?

We try to complete payments as quickly as possible once your fully completed application is submitted. You can help to make things as quick and smooth as possible by providing all of the requested documentation with your application. We aim to give outcomes and payments within 2 weeks from your application being submitted.

Student mobility

Last updated 19th July 2021

1. I have an offer to go on exchange or Erasmus in first semester (September 2021) - will this still be going ahead?

Where it is possible (where borders are open and travel restrictions permit), mobility will be going ahead. The Go Abroad Team have had students abroad the second semester of the academic year 2020/2021 in Europe, Australia, Hong Kong, South Korea and the USA. Global circumstances change rapidly in the current landscape, so destinations are constantly under review.

All students with a first semester or full year offer are welcome to contact or (as relevant) should they have questions.

2. I am a current University of Aberdeen student and am abroad on exchange or Erasmus – should I be returning home due to the impact of Covid?

All students who are currently abroad are in place at destinations that are continuously monitored by UoA staff. We do our best to keep apprised of global circumstances and reach out to any students who are located in a city/country where particular challenges have arisen. If you are having concerns, or feel that you may wish to return to your country of residence, please don’t hesitate in getting in touch with us to discuss your options.


The best way to contact the team is via email – or Our email is monitored Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00. Please allow a couple of days for a response, particularly at busy times. If your email is urgent, please tag it as ! high importance or preface your subject line with URGENT.

One-to-one virtual appointments

If you would like to speak through an issue or ask questions to a member of the Go Abroad Team on a one-to-one basis, you can join our drop-in sessions every Wednesday between 14:00-16:00 BST. Our drop-in sessions are run using Microsoft Teams. You can connect via your web browser on a laptop or PC. You may need to download the Teams app to access on a mobile device. Depending on how busy the session is, you may need to wait in the “lobby” before someone is available to speak to you. Join us through this link.

3. I am currently a University of Aberdeen student on exchange. My host university has suspended face-to-face teaching. What does this mean for my academic studies?

The University is in close contact with all our students currently studying abroad in exchange. We are also working with our network of partner institutions to ensure you are receiving the support you need.

While face-to-face teaching has been suspended at many universities around the world, in most cases, courses have moved online and can be done at a distance. Thereby minimising any disruption to your studies.

If your host university is not offering online courses and you have any concerns about your ongoing studies, please inform the Go Abroad Team so that we can look at alternative ways for you to achieve your required credits.

4. I am an Erasmus/Exchange/Study Abroad student intending to come to Aberdeen for the Fall/September semester of 2021. What will teaching be like then?

For detailed information, please see the FAQ section on Academic Session 21/22.

5. I am an Erasmus/ Exchange/ Study Abroad student intending to come to Aberdeen for the Fall/September semester of 2021. What are my options if I no longer want to/are no longer able to come to Aberdeen in September?

If your home institution has cancelled your Erasmus/exchange/study abroad programme, or you feel that the coming semester is not the right time for you, please contact us on or (as appropriate) to discuss your options. Where relevant, we will support any student who wants to defer their place until January or September 2022.

6. I am an Erasmus/ Exchange/ Study Abroad student intending to come to Aberdeen for the Fall/September semester of 2021. Will there be any financial penalty for deferring or withdrawing from the programme?

No. If you notify us of your decision to withdraw or defer before the beginning of the semester, the University will not impose any financial penalty and any deposit you may have paid towards university-managed accommodation will be refunded. If you had applied for accommodation with a private provider, you will need to contact them directly for details of their cancellation policy.


Last updated 16th July 2021

1. I am an international student on a visa to study in the UK, what if I want to return to my home country or cannot return to my studies in the UK due to the coronavirus pandemic?

If you hold a Student visa and wish to return home during term-time due to Covid-19, please ensure you do the following:

  • Check it is safe to travel and you are aware of any travel restrictions issued by your home country and the UK. We recommend following the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for updates. 
  • Ensure you notify the Student Immigration Compliance Team of your departure from the UK. The team can be reached at and will advise you on the impact this decision may have on your visa.
  • Continue to engage fully with your learning through any online delivery and assessment arrangements your school have put into place. This is required for the University to evidence to the Home Office (UKVI) that you are actively studying from a distance unless you are told otherwise.
  • Check your University email account regularly for any updates on the situation.
2. My UK visa is due to expire soon and I am unsure if I will be able to extend my visa or return to my home country. What should I do?

If you hold a visa to live, work or study in the UK and your visa is due to expire soon, we understand that you might be anxious and uncertain about the impact the Covid-19 pandemic may have on your ability to either return home before your visa expires, or apply for an extension to your visa. If, due to extending your studies, you will need to extend your Student or Tier 4 visa, please email the International Student Advisers.

If you intend to leave the UK but have not been able to do so and you have a visa, leave or ‘exceptional assurance’ that expires before 30 September 2021 you may request additional time to stay, known as ‘exceptional assurance’. Exceptional Assurance acts as short-term protection to ensure there are no negative consequences to your visa status if you are unable to leave the UK before your visa expires. For more information, including how to apply for Exceptional Assurance, please see here.

3. Will my visa be affected if I return home?

Current guidance from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) states that distance and blended learning is acceptable under Student visa regulations until 6 April 2022. If you are living inside the UK and hold a Student or Tier 4 visa, you will not be permitted to undertake your studies fully by distance from the start of the 2021/22 academic year, and you must be able to undertake blended learning, which will involve a mix of both on-campus and online teaching.

 Those that are studying from overseas will be permitted to undertake distance learning on their Student or Tier 4 visa until 6 April 2022, by which time you must ensure you are back in the UK to continue your studies on campus.

You are encouraged to check the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) websites for any updates. For specific information on your situations please contact our compliance team on

4. I am an international student on a visa to study in the UK, where can I find the latest visa information in relation to Covid-19?

We recommend that you regularly check The Home Office (UKVI) and the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) Covid-19 webpages.

If you have any questions regarding Covid-19 and its impact on your immigration status please get in touch with the International Student Advisers by email:

5. What am I allowed to work under my student visa? Is this different if my studies are online? 

Although on-campus teaching has been suspended, you are still engaging in your studies and in order to keep your Student Visa, you cannot work more than 20 hours per week during what would normally be term-time. Please note that a week is defined by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as “a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday”.

Undergraduate students should refer to the academic calendar for information on when Spring term is scheduled to end for your programme of study.

Postgraduate students are not allowed to work full-time whilst working on a dissertation or project. This is because although you may not be attending classes, in theory you are still studying, and your course is of 12 months duration.

Postgraduate Research students cannot work more than 20 hours per week. The only exceptions to this are during the scheduled University closure in Winter and during any period that you have requested authorised leave. Please ensure that your leave request has been authorised by your School before undertaking any additional working hours.

If you have deferred/suspended your studies due to the Coronavirus, please seek advice from the International Student Advisers regarding your working conditions during this period.

You can do most kinds of work, but you must not:

  • be self-employed
  • engage in business activity
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach
  • be employed as an entertainer which includes actors, musicians, dancers and other performers
  • take a permanent full-time job
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless you are on the foundation programme.

Student visa holders employed by an NHS trust within any of the following professional roles are permitted to work without limit and can therefore work over 20 hours per week during term-time.

  • biochemist
  • biological scientist
  • dental practitioner
  • health professional
  • medical practitioner
  • medical radiographer
  • midwife
  • nurse
  • occupational therapist
  • ophthalmologist
  • paramedic
  • pharmacist
  • physiotherapist
  • podiatrist
  • psychologist
  • social worker
  • speech and language therapist
  • therapy professional

If you are employed as a key-worker in another role (e.g. supermarket worker), please note that you are not permitted to undertake over 20 hours of work per week unless you are in a scheduled vacation period (as set out above).

If you have any further queries regarding your working conditions, please email the International Student Advisers.


Last updated 16th August 2021

Term Dates

For undergraduate students, the teaching for the first half- session of next academic year 2021-22 will begin on Sunday 26th of September. Please note, lectures will be pre-recorded and posted to MyAberdeen course pages. Small group tutorials start Sunday 4th October. Please consult your timetable.

For Postgraduate students please follow the schedule you have been issued.


1. What format will teaching take in the second half session (semester)?

The campus in Doha is following guidance provided by the Government and the Ministry of Education and Higher Education. Currently, this means all teaching in academic year 2020-21 will now be online.

Following the Qatar Government’s Controlled Phased Lifting of CV-19 Restrictions it is anticipated that for academic year 2021-22 that this will mean following a blended learning approach using a mix of asynchronous and synchronous sessions.

Lectures will be asynchronous. i.e., they are pre-recorded and available online at the start of the week for you to view at your convenience. They will be supported by live (online) Class Workshops.

These will be online and synchronous. i.e. they are timetabled for a specific day and hour and will be live.

Tutorials will be synchronous. i.e. they are timetabled for a specific day and hour. You will be required to attend your allocated tutorial.


2. Will I be able to attend lectures on the campus?

For academic year 2020-21, no. Following Government Regulations and the Ministry of Education and Higher Education all teaching for academic year 2020-21 is now online.

For academic year 2021-22,  with your safety of the utmost importance we currently anticipate that we will not be putting on large group sessions in a face-to-face setting, including in-person lectures. Lectures will be pre-recorded and delivered differently, possibly in smaller bite-sized presentations with associated activities that you will access online. However, following the Qatar Government’s controlled Phased Lifting of CV-19 Restrictions we are expecting small group tutorials to be on campus. We will update fully on 2021-22 in August when we have more details from the Ministry of Education and Higher Education.


3. When must face coverings be worn on campus?

Face coverings must be worn at all times if on campus.


4. When should my class start?

Teaching sessions, whether they are online or on campus, are scheduled to start at five past the hour, as usual. If teaching is on campus, you should not arrive early for classes that are happening face to face.


5. When should my class end and how should I leave the space?

For any classes which are happening face to face, on campus, they should end 10 minutes to the hour to allow the cleaning of touchpoints such as desks and IT equipment and also to ensure that contact is limited between classes vacating and entering the space and to help support the management of building capacities.


6. Will a register be taken?


Attendance will be recorded. This is important both to allow us to check that you are properly engaging with your studies. The University uses a monitoring system to ensure students are engaged in their studies. Failure to attend small group teaching sessions (both on campus and online) may lead to you being reported as ‘at risk’ through the monitoring system.


7. Will we be expected to share documents or equipment in the classroom?


Sharing of equipment, documents, pens and other items should be avoided. Any equipment should be cleaned before and after each use and should not be shared within a single teaching session. You should leave the building immediately (unless e.g., you need to use toilet facilities) and you should not congregate in corridors or the foyer or in the immediate vicinity of the exits to buildings.


8. Where can I find a study space on campus?

Currently, following Ministry of Education and Higher Education Guidelines students are not permitted to study at the campus.

If there is a return to campus in academic year 2021-22, the campus has a number of study spaces for students in accordance with physical distancing restrictions. Some of the spaces are available on a drop in ‘first come first served’ basis while other space is bookable via the Learning Resource Centre, email to book. Outside spaces are also available at the rear of the Villas. When using outside spaces, you must still observe physical distancing. An update on study arrangements for 2021-22 will be published in August 2021.


9. What support is available to me to help me study remotely?

Guidance on studying online is available here


10. Will I be able to access the library?


You will be able to access online resources within the Learning Resource Centre. You are also able to access online resources from any online device. Guidance is available here. You can arrange to collect books from the library in normal working hours. Any questions, or bookings to collect books, please email


11. Can I still approach academic staff for help whilst undertaking alternative methods of teaching?


If you need advice you should continue to seek advice from academic staff. As teaching is no longer taking place on campus you can reach out to the course coordinator by email. Please be aware that it may take slightly longer than usual for staff to respond to you but they will respond as soon as possible. If you do not receive a response within 5 working days please contact the AFG Student Hub.

Please remember you still have access to your Personal Tutor. If you have any questions or concerns you can email them.



1. Will there be examinations this half session?

There are currently no exams on campus. Assessment will however take place through alternative means. You will demonstrate your knowledge, understanding and skills through alternative assessments such as essays, reports, online quizzes, presentations etc. Details of course assessments are set out in your course guides.

2. Where can I find information and guidance on assessment arrangements?

Beyond your course guide and the course MyAberdeen page, detailed guidance around assessment arrangements including Codes of Practice on Assessment can be found here. Some frequently asked questions in regard to assessment are also available here.


1. I am an Undergraduate student, will I be able to progress to my next year if it is not possible for me to undertake my assessment, or if I fail an alternative form of assessment?

There will be a normal resit period in the summer. After this the Board will consider your credits for progression. Where necessary, the credit requirements for progression to the next year of study may be revised to recognise the impact of the situation. Where you are unwell and unable to take an assessment, this will be taken into account as usual.

Technical Issues

1. I am unable to access MyAberdeen from home due to no internet access or no access to a suitable device or computer. What should I do?

If you are in this situation, you should contact AFG to discuss whether alternatives can be offered.

Academic Session 2021-2022

1: What social distancing plans are being made for the campus in Qatar?

The Qatar Campus is following the University’s Principles and Priorities for Return to Campus Working. This places the health, safety and well-being of students, staff and visitors to the campus at the centre of the decisions that are being made about return. We are committed to providing a safe campus, a caring community, a nurturing environment, blended learning and a student experience.

Physical distancing measures and enhanced hygiene procedures will be in place to help protect our Qatar community. Sanitiser will be provided at entrances to buildings and key locations. There will also be additional cleaning schedules particularly of communal areas and touch points.

Our students, staff and community are our main priority. We are continuing to adapt our teaching spaces, libraries and student spaces in line with physical distancing guidelines, so that when students return they can still enjoy campus life and the sense of community that is part of being a member of the Aberdeen Family. Importantly, we are adopting a blended learning approach. What this means is that your lectures will be online (pre-recorded) with your tutorial and seminars being reduced in size to allow for physical distancing requirements.

2: I'm at the Qatar campus and  If I need to stay at home next semester for health, travel or other reasons, do I have to contact someone specifically?

An update on what study and campus life will look like next academic year (2021-22) on the Qatar campus will be sent out shortly. If you need further information, or want to talk to someone about your study please contact the Student Hub:

Postgraduate Research Students

Postgraduate Research Students

Last updated 02 April 2021

Please remember to tell us where you are studying this session. Click here to update.

Return to Campus guidance and Covid-19 Requests to Return to Campus Due to Exceptional Circumstances

  • The most up to date documents can be found on the staff and PGR student webpages these will be regularly updated as the situation continues to evolve and in accordance with any new Government guidance when it is published.

Covid-19 Requests to Return to Campus Due to Exceptional Circumstances

Policy to minimise the impact of Covid-19 on Research Degrees

1. I am a new PGR student – can I come on to campus to start my research degree?

In academic year 2021/22, we expect to be able to accommodate you on campus in Aberdeen, to enjoy the campus experience. We do however recognise that for some students facing travel restrictions and other obstacles to travel, you may need to begin your studies online. Your experience will be individual to you and therefore we encourage you to make contact with your supervisor to discuss the best date for you to join us on campus, as it is important to note that access to facilities such as labs will be dictated by your school.

At the current time, all PGR students who are campus-based in Aberdeen have access to a desk and research facilities, at least part time. If your research programme involves participation in any taught modules, please be aware that this will likely be delivered via blended learning initially with some face-to-face on-campus teaching and combined online learning.

All new PGR students can undertake the online orientation programme and online training available via the PGR School, including the mandatory training programme.

2. I'm self-isolating, do I need to provide proof?

There will be no requirement for you to provide supporting medical evidence but you must inform the University using the forms

You should also report your absence to your supervisor and PGR School Administrator.

If you are on a Student Visa, please seek advice from the International Student Advisers. If you are UKRI funded, please also contact

3. I am a PGR student; can I still meet my supervisor?
You will be able to meet with your supervisor(s) as long as you are all in agreement to do so, that you have permission to access the building and that relevant risk assessments have been completed.
4. What if my PhD supervisor is unwell or unable to support me in the longer term?
All PGR students have at least two supervisors and you should contact your second supervisor as your main point of contact. If you cannot contact them or are unaware who they are, please contact the PGR Coordinator/Director in your school or discipline for guidance.
5. I’m an on-campus Student Visa student unable to sign in; what should I do?
Please seek advice from the International Student Advisers and see immigration pages for more information.
6. I’m worried that I have not been able to make much or any progress on my research topic at this time. What should I do.

The University launched the Policy to Minimise the impact of Covid-19 on Research Degrees which outlines measures we have put in place to support your research degrees and is supported by a set of Frequently Asked Questions.

Please discuss with your supervisors how you can continue to work on your research topic/thesis at this time and any impact on your PhD will be assessed once normal working practices are resumed.

7. I cannot continue working at home because I cannot access the software I need/I do not have a suitable PC to work from/my internet is not suitable should I do?

As a current PGR student you will be able to request access to your office space through your school, you should discuss with your supervisor in the first instance. If you are unable to research on campus and cannot continue to progress your research due to IT and computing issues, for example, access to software on university PCs or you are using personal computing devices that are not fit for purpose, you should contact IT Services at

8. How do any delays to my PhD research affect my funding?
This will vary by funder and their particular terms and conditions, for UKRI funded students please refer to our guidance. Other funders are continuing to develop their guidance and we will update these pages accordingly. Please also refer to our Policy to Minimise the impact of Covid-19 on Research Degrees for further guidance.
9. I need to travel to visit archives/ undertake a placement/research secondment – am I able to?
It is now possible to apply for limited international travel which is deemed essential for the delivery of research project outcomes. Any travel for work purposes must be approved before formal plans are made, giving full consideration to the risks associated with said travel, and potential alternatives. Please refer to the FAQs under ‘Business Travel’ for more information.
10. My research involves working with human participants – can this work (re)start?
Please refer to the specific guidance on the research FAQ pages.
11. I am a PGR student undertaking quantitative or qualitative fieldwork, what should I do?

Please ensure you discuss this with your supervisor in the first instance and refer to the Business travel pages. This applies also if you are applying for ethical approval. Please also refer to the research pages for specific information related to work involving the NHS and Digital Research.

12. I am a PGR student undertaking quantitative or qualitative fieldwork, what should I do?

It’s likely that any fieldwork in the UK is going to be difficult and should be rescheduled if possible. Any such research must be in line with Scottish Government guidelines and ALL requests to commence fieldwork must be approved by your Head of School using this form.

Please ensure you discuss this with your supervisor in the first instance. This applies also if you are applying for ethical approval. Please also refer to the research pages for specific information related to work involving the NHS and Digital Research.

13. I’m a PGR student undertaking archival research, what should I do?

If you are overseas undertaking archival research and wish to (and are able to) return to your place of usual residence, please contact your supervisor to discuss this.

Ifyou are in the UK undertaking (or due to undertake) archival research you must refer to the Business travel pages for more information.

14. I’m a PGR student whose research involves recruitment of new participants to a clinical research study for face-to-face contact, what do I do?
Please refer to our research pages for specific information related to work involving the NHS and/or Human Participants
15. I’m a PGR student who has already recruited human participants to a study, what do I do?
Please refer to our research pages for specific information related to work involving the NHS and/or Human Participants
16. Can I submit my thesis electronically?

If you are submitting your thesis for examination (pre viva voce), you should submit to If you have had your viva voce  and are submitting the final version of your thesis, you should submit to

In each case, your thesis must be in PDF format. If files are larger than 20MB (Outlook attachment’s size limit) then you can send them via: At this time it is not necessary to submit a soft or hard bound copy of your thesis. You may be asked to submit a hardbound copy at a later date but the PhD award will no longer be contingent on submission of a physical copy.

17. My Viva Voce is scheduled to take place soon. What should I do?

PhD viva examinations will continue as scheduled (where all parties are in agreement to do so). With immediate effect, these will be conducted by videoconference (using suitable technology eg Microsoft Teams, Skype). Your School has guidance for the conducting of viva examinations by video conference, please contact your PGR Coordinator/Director for more details and review this guidance document.

If you do not have access to IT equipment to attend your viva digitally, please discuss this with your internal examiner to agree a suitable plan.

18. I am due to complete my annual progression exercise to proceed into my next year of study, but I am unable to do so whilst I am unable to return to Aberdeen/access resources. How will my progression be affected?
Annual progression is coordinated by your school. If you are concerned about your progress exercise as a direct result of Covid-19 impacts, please discuss with your supervisor in the first instance.
19. How will review processes continue at this time?

Six monthly review forms will continue to be issued as normal, you should use these forms to raise and any concerns you have that are arising due to the coronavirus situation.

20. Do I still need to complete the mandatory training?
All mandatory training is available online and you should plan to complete each of the courses within (or as close to) your first six-months of study.
21. I am due to commence my research degree soon but, I would like to request a delayed start date (or will I be asked to start at a later date)?
You can make a request to defer your start date, please discuss this with your School PGR Administrator.
22. I am a UKRI funded student, will I still receive my stipend?
Please see the UKRI student section.
23. What impact will there be upon my studentship in the event that I need to return home or am unable to work on my research project?
Please refer to the Policy to Minimise the impact of Covid-19 on Research Degrees for further guidance.
24. I am considering applying to the University of Aberdeen to undertake a PhD. What should I do?

We would be very happy to hear from you. You can send a general enquiry to

You will also find a number of PhD opportunities are being advertised which can be viewed here.

UKRI Funded Students

Last updated 10 April 2020
1. Will I still receive my stipend payments if I am required to self-isolate or work from home?

Yes, stipend payments will continue as normal. We would expect that where possible you will continue with your PhD research to the best of your ability from home (or where you are self-isolating from).

To maintain your supervision, we would expect communication with your supervisor via means other than face-to-face meetings, e.g. email/phone/video call. This time period will not count towards your 13 weeks of sick pay as we would expect you to continue with your research.

If your personal circumstances mean you are unable to continue with your research during home working/self-isolation, please contact

2. I am funded by one of the Research Councils and I am off sick, will I continue to receive my stipend?

The UKRI standard Training Grant Terms and Conditions on sick leave normally requires a medical certificate and provides for costed extensions for sick leave up to 13 weeks in a 12-month period. Recognising the exceptional circumstances of the Covid-19 pandemic this condition will not be applied to Covid-19, or new or exacerbated conditions linked to the pandemic and the government response to it. This ensures those who are ill due to the pandemic are not disadvantaged compared to those experiencing other disruptions such as shielding or additional caring responsibilities. For cases relating to Covid-19, sick leave can be claimed for up to 28 weeks within a 12-month period.

Please contact

3. Do I need to inform the University that I am ill with Covid-19?
You must inform us via when you are off with any sickness so that it can be recorded and your stipend payments and required submission date can be extended to cover the time lost.
4. What should I do when my supervisor is self-isolating or working from home?

If your supervisor is working from home you should continue working with your supervisor via email/phone or video call.

If your supervisor is off sick, please seek supervision from your second supervisor. If this is not possible, please contact your School PGR Director.

5. What should I do if self-isolating or working from home and will prevent me from submitting within the funded period?

Extensions will be considered on a case by case basis, please contact Examples (not exhaustive) of when an extension may need to be applied include:

  • A significant period of self-isolation (we do not define significant as this is likely to be proportional to the time left in the funded period)
  • Postponement of critical activities where alternatives aren’t available. Examples could include: experiments due to take place at a national/international facility which will delay the research for a significant amount of time; access to critical archives being unavailable for a significant period
6. I am in my final year and my studies have been disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic, will I receive a funded extension?

Extensions for students with funding end dates between 1 March 2020 and 31 March 2021 were supported by UKRI for up to six months. All extensions for this group of students had to made and reported by universities to UKRI by 8 October 2020. Under the initial policy, case-by-case extensions were also permitted for students with a funding end date on or after 1 April 2021. Where case-by-case extensions were agreed, these were supported by training grant underspend.

In November 2020 UKRI published their Covid-19 Phase 2 Doctoral Extension Funding Policy. This set out thier policy relating to additional support for UKRI students for situations where adaptation and mitigation may not be possible, on a needs-priority basis.

Further details are available at

Inclusion and support provisions for students

Last updated: 06 October 2021

I receive lecture support on campus, what will happen when lectures are delivered online?

You will be able to access the lecture materials such as a video recording of the content and the PowerPoint slides, on the virtual learning environment (VLE). Ideally, captions will be available for video content (in Panopto on the CC icon). 

If you choose to download the video, download and install VLC Player from;  download MP4 video file from Panopto; open the video file in VLC player; and enable subtitles from the Subtitles menu. Where captioning is not feasible, accessible alternative materials will be provided.

Visual content such as diagrams will be accompanied with a text description of the information contained in the diagram. Where this is not available please contact the course coordinator so that they can ensure this text description is provided. See below regarding note-takers.

If you feel that you require further support, please contact the Student Advice & Support Team on 01224 273 935 or at

I receive the provision of a note-taker in on-campus lectures, how will I be supported in online lectures?
The Student Advice & Support Team have emailed all students who currently receive the provision of a note-taker in order to set up the support for session 2021/22. If you feel that you will require typed transcripts of your lectures for disability-related reasons and you haven’t already done so, please contact the Student Advice & Support Team on 01224 273 935 or at
What about reading materials?
Course coordinators have worked closely with the library staff to make the appropriate reading materials available in the relevant VLEs in a timely and accessible form.
I have extra time for completing on-campus examinations, what will happen with online assessment?
Unless it is unavoidable, timed exams will be replaced by Schools with an alternative assessments. One example could be an open-book assessment which would usually be available for completion over a period of a minimum of 48 hours (even if it is expected it will take around, say, 3 hours to do the assessment). In these alternative assessment situations, the extended period for completion is provided as an inclusive measure, as this provides the greatest flexibility for all students for planning and time allocation, irrespective of their circumstances (e.g. caring responsibilities, short-term illness, time zones, internet access, learning differences, protected characteristics). No additional time will be provided for students who would otherwise receive it. In some different cases, Schools have decided that the duration for completion of the assessments need to be fixed (say 3 hours), and in most cases it would be appropriate for students to choose when to do this within a longer period (usually 48 hours). In all situations when there will be a fixed time for completion, individual adjustments will then be made for students who require this for disability-related reasons. This is considered more in the next question.
I usually have extra time for completing on-campus examinations, how will that work online for assessments which have to be completed during the same time frames as an on-campus exam?
Schools may consider it necessary for a course to have a timed online assessment, due to Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body requirements or pedagogic reasons. This may typically need to be completed within 3 hours or less once you start the assessment. In such cases you will receive the amount of extra time that you would usually receive in an on-campus exam. Course coordinators will continue to provide you with information on how you will be assessed and can be contacted for further information on the assessment process.
I have more than one assessment for completion wholly or partly within the same period and I usually get extra time for on-campus exams. Will I get more time?
No. The time periods allowed for all assessments should allow you to plan your time and complete your assessments.
A timed online assessment is needed for a course. The period for completion has been doubled to make the period for completion more inclusive. If I would get extra time for an on-campus exam should I have additional extra time?
There will only be additional extra time for students who have provision for 100% extra time. These students will receive an additional 30 minutes per hour of the original exam time. Note that this applies only to short, timed online assessments, which in this context means assessment with an original (unextended) period for completion of 2 hours or less. Note also that If the period has been extended by less than x2, then students who have extra time for an on-campus exam should have extra time, with this calculated on the basis of the original (unextended) period for completion.
I receive the provision of a scribe in on-campus exams, how will I be supported to write my online assessments?
Your school will contact you to discuss your individual support arrangements. If you work with a scribe in on-campus exams, you may be offered the opportunity to submit your answers verbally using Panopto or the ‘dictate’ function in Microsoft Office 365. Students who use this will not be penalised for poor punctation and/or grammar (commas, semicolons, full stops etc. all must be dictated) as long as the meaning is clear. If you have access to voice recognition software, you can use this to produce your answers.
I receive the provision of a reader in on-campus exams, how will I be supported to read my online assessments?

Your school will contact you to discuss your individual support arrangements. Where applicable online assessment papers will be accessible in the form of a Word document where possible.  You will be able to adjust the type of font, font size and line spacing.  You will be able to use ‘Text to Speech’ functions built into Word. If the online assessment paper is in the form of a PDF document and you have text to speech software, please use this.

For some courses, ALLY will be of use to convert the papers to MP3 format on MyAberdeen, for you to download and listen to, please see

If you need any advice with regards to using text to speech software and/or how to access this, please email If technology cannot be used to read the online assessments (e.g. the paper may include graphs), the School will explore alternative arrangements with you.

I don’t have access to a stable Internet connection and/or a personal computer in order to undertake online assessments, what are my options?
Contact your School Office to make them aware of your circumstances as soon as possible. The contact details for the School Offices can be found here. Alternative mechanisms for the completion of assessments may be explored based on your individual circumstances. There will also be opportunities for students to access devices and effective broadband on campus.
What are the options if I require financial assistance to study or complete assessments online?
If you do not have the funds available to purchase a computer and/or access the Internet, please contact the Student Advice & Support Team to apply for financial assistance. All students are eligible to apply for this if they are in hardship as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The amount of support available is dependent on your individual circumstances and the evidence you provide. The funds are limited and will be prioritised on a case by case basis. You will need to complete an application form and provide evidence of your full financial circumstances including monthly statements for all your bank accounts and credit cards for 3 full months. It can take up to 3 weeks to receive the payment but, wherever possible we try to complete payments in a shorter timeframe. You can help by providing all the requested documentation with your application.
Can you tell me a bit more? I am worried about the whole assessment process. Also, will all these changes apply, for example, to assessed essays or practical exercise which I complete during the course?
Your School or course coordinator will be able to provide you with more information on the assessment process, timing, the marking criteria and their expectations. For example, there may be a word limit for the course in question and it is not usually expected that it will take students the full 48 hours to complete an open book assessment. If you have provision for extensions to deadlines when appropriate (for example an essay which was released at the start of term to be submitted on a date several weeks later), you should continue to liaise with the course coordinator to discuss what can be done.
I am unwell, or I have experienced extenuating circumstances which have affected my performance in an assessment or have led me to miss an assessment, what should I do?

If you feel that your performance in an assessment has been affected by extenuating circumstances, or you have been unable to complete an assessment, you should report this through the Absence Reporting system, links to which are available through MyAberdeen and the Student Hub.

For further information, please access the Info Hub.

Note that this will not lead to an adjustment of individual marks and the relevant Codes of Practice Assessment will apply.

I have disability support provisions however I am concerned about completing my studies and I do not think that the information provided so far addresses my situation.
Please contact the Student Advice & Support Team at or on 01224 273 935 and a member of the team will discuss your circumstances with you. This discussion could include exploring further support and adjustments in relation to other forms of assessment and more generally how you are engaging with your studies and your University experience.
I am concerned about completing my assessments and I think I would benefit from additional support.
Please contact the Student Advice & Support Team at or on 01224 273 935 and a member of the team will discuss your circumstances with you. This discussion could include exploring support and adjustments and more generally how you are engaging with your studies and your University experience.