The Crown Tower remains one of the most historic and beautiful emblems and icons of our University. However, the Chapel sanctuary which sits beneath the Tower is also a space of beauty.
King’s College Chapel contains five rare decorations made of canvas and wooden scaffolding dating back to the 16th and 17th century.
Services are held every Wednesday during the academic term and there are also daily and important annual services such as Remembrance and Founders Day held in the Chapel throughout the year.
- Worships Services
Daily - Morning Prayer
Monday - Friday 8.30 - 8.50am
Wednesday services begin at 8am and are followed by breakfast.
Weekly - Episcopal (Anglican) Eucharist
Wednesday 1.15pm - 2pm
- Wednesday from 5.15pm (semester dates only)
This worship is open to everyone; staff, students and the public, so please feel free to come along.
Please check out our calendar that details the services as occasionally the time may be different.
Roman Catholic Mass
- Sunday 6.30pm (semester dates only)
Annual – Founders’ Day Service
- We commemorate the founding of the University on 1495.
Seven Incorporated Trades Service
- A service in which we honour the links between the University of Aberdeen and the Seven Incorporate Trades of Aberdeen.
- The May Festival has been celebrated at the University since 2013
Kirking of the Students (Multi-Faith Service)
- During this service, we celebrate the diversity and talent of the University’s student body.
Remembrance Sunday Service
- A memorial service to remember members of the armed forces who have died in the line of duty.
The University Carol Service in St Machar’s Cathedral
Our Christmas Carol Service takes place in the neighbouring St Machar’s Cathedral. Come and enjoy carols old and new being sung by the Chapel Choir, the readings and reflections read by members of the university community and, in particular, joining in with the traditional congregational carols. This is a lovely event at the end of the first semester, giving you the chance to share Christmas greetings with one another.
- Friends of King's College Chapel
King’s College Chapel has been the heart of the University since it was built in 1505 by Bishop William Elphinstone, the University’s founder.
The Chapel is a constant enduring remind of our foundations that we continue to build upon today. The Crown Tower of the Chapel continues to be one of the most recognisable features of our University and is know worldwide by friends, alumni and benefactors. The Chapel beneath is a sanctuary on campus; a space of tranquillity, peace and remembrance.
Many of the Chapel’s original features from 1505 are still endure today, such as the 52 original exquisitely carved choir stalls which are unique in Scotland. These features are complimented by components that have been added over the centuries. This includes features include a war memorial, an Aubertin organ of international distinction, a set of stunning stained glass windows and the tomb of Bishop Elphinstone. The most recent addition was a beautiful missal stand which was funded by an alumna in memory of her mother.
Friends of King’s College Chapel members will greatly benefit from the ongoing life and faith of the Chapel community. We hold a wide range of events, recitals and services in King’s College Chapel and as a Friend you will be kept fully informed of them all. Depending on the category of member Friends will be able to receive the following benefits:
£60 or more per year
(£24 for students and recent graduates)
- Bi-annual newsletter – January and August
- Annual University of Aberdeen Concert Series brochure
- Advance opportunity to purchase Choir of King's College CDs
- Invitation to our annual Friends' Drinks Party and Evensong in September
- Discounted tickets for selected Chapel Concerts
- Discounted tickets for exclusive events, tours and talks
- Reserved seats at special Chapel services and Carol Service in St Machar's Cathedral
- All of the above plus
- 50% discount on latest CD by Choir of King's College
- Complimentary tickets for selected Chapel Concerts
- Reserved seats at the annual Christmas Carol Service and all annual University services
- Complimentary tickets for exclusive events, tours and talks
- All of the above plus
- Reserved seats at all major Chapel events and services (St Machar Cathedral Christmas Carol Service, Founders' Day, Remembrance etc)
- A complimentary copy of all newly-released CDs by the Choir of King's College
- A personal acknowledgment in the University’s Annual Donors’ list
To join us today and support King’s College Chapel in providing a vibrant and active community and for future generation, please complete this form.
If you would like to make a further donation please see here and choose King's College Chapel from the drop down menu.
What will donations be used for?
- A new Bridal Table to be used by wedding couples when signing the register. This will cost approximately £5535. You can see the proposed design for the table here.
- A new display table for the ante-chapel. This will cost approximately £2985. You can see the design for the table here.
- A new display cabinet
- Cleaning of the Mary above the door
11th May 2016
Alumna donates new missal stand for King’s College Chapel
University Alumna generously funds new missal stan in memory of her mother.
On Wednesday 11th May 2016 a new missal stand was installed in King's College Chapel thanks to a generous donation from alumna Helen Dark. University Chaplain, Rev Marylee Anderson, led a celebratory blessing to mark the occasion and to recognise Helen's beautiful contribution to the 15th century building.
Helen commissioned designer and restorer of fine furniture Tom Ironside to create and build the missal stand in memory of her mother who visited the Chapel many times during Helen's studies.
Originally from Glasgow, Helen moved to Aberdeen in the late 70s to study History and Social Economics at the University. Her mother travelled up on a regular basis at the weekends to stay with Helen and a very special part of their weekend ritual was attending services in the Chapel together, usually going for a cup of tea in the Chaplaincy afterwards with Dr Alan Main. Helen has great fondness for her time at University and very much appreciated the support she received from academic and Chaplaincy staff. Her mother sadly died two years ago and Helen wanted to recognise the great significance the Chapel had for the two of them by commissioning this stunning addition to the building.
- The University of Aberdeen Chapel Choir
The University of Aberdeen Chapel Choir is an auditioned choir comprising of 35 students from every area of study at the University of Aberdeen.
The choir sing at weekly services in King's College Chapel on Wednesdays at 5:15 pm and at other special services, such as graduations, Remembrance Sunday and the popular Carol Service held each year in St Machar’s Cathedral.
We offer wedding services in King’s College Chapel to graduates of the University of Aberdeen, Robert Gordon University, members of staff and their families. The Chapel is a place of great significance to many people and is a stunning location to be married.
Contrary to urban myth, there is no waiting list!
Please get in touch with us if you are looking to celebrate your wedding in the chapel, we will be more than happy to send you an information pack.
Please get in touch with Gillian Cursiter for more information about organising your wedding or you can telephone on 01224 272137.
For information on wedding packages, please have a look at our Events Team’s Wedding website.
page content in progress