University of Aberdeen - a wireless campus
The centrally-managed wireless networking service allows registered University of Aberdeen users encrypted and secure access to the internet-based resources from the University and the wider internet – 24/7, 365 days a year.
Click on the link below to launch the setup wizard, then follow the simple onscreen instructions. You should be on campus when connecting to XpressConnect.
Auto config my device now using XpressConnect!
We recommend you run this automatic configuration wizard to ensure that your device is configured optimally for the wireless services. XpressConnect will automatically detect your OS and send the correct configuration to your device.
Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista; Mac OSX 10.7+ and iOS; Ubuntu; Android; ChromeOS; and Fedora.
- Note for Android users: Before you run the XpressConnect automatic configuration, go to Settings -> Security on your device and tick the Unknown sources option. Once you have configured your device for wireless, you can untick this option.
- Auto-configuration of UoA corporate is suitable for Windows OS only.
- Auto-configuration of Wired eduroam/ResNet is not suitable for mobile devices.
- If you have a problem connecting an iPhone/iPad to the wireless network after running the XpressConnect automatic configuration, you may have entered your username and password incorrectly within the auto configuration setup. Try the following:
- Open Settings -> General -> Profiles
- Remove the eduroam or resnet profile you just configured.
- Run the auto configuration again, making sure you enter your username and password correctly. If you're unsure, click Check your Password before proceeding.
If you prefer, you can manually configure your device instead. You’ll find guidelines for Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android, iPad and Chromebook in Learners’ Toolkit. Go to www.abdn.ac.uk/toolkit/basics/wireless-connection/ and click the Downloads button.
Problems connecting? Problems with wireless reception?
For more information about the wireless service, see:
Wireless for staff | Wireless for students | Wireless for visitors (Visitors tab)
Which network should you use?
Free University services
- eduroam (via Jisc)
- provides staff and students with authenticated access here and at participating eduroam sites world-wide.
- allows visitors from participating institutions to gain access to their own home network when visiting Aberdeen by using credentials provided by their home organisation
- provides authenticated wireless access to visitors issued with a Guest or External account
- ResNet - provides a room level service in University of Aberdeen Halls of Residence.
Other wireless services
While on campus, you will also see other wireless services, including
- Aberdeen-city-connect - FREE public wi-fi service provided by Pinacl Solutions and intended for casual visitors to the University of Aberdeen, for example those attending open days, festivals, concerts, or other events on campus. It is ideal for downloading Google Maps, sharing photos on social media, or just browsing the internet for local information.
- Please note: We’re sorry, but University IT Services can’t provide help with connecting to this service. University staff should use the supported services eduroam or uoa-corporate to ensure access to services such as e-journals and printing.
- wireless-help - allows you to access XpressConnect to automatically configure your device for the University wireless services. It also provides help for anyone having trouble connecting to eduroam and ResNet. If your laptop is connected to the wireless-help network, you will only be able to connect to pages on the Aberdeen University website, ie whose URLs start with www.abdn.ac.uk, and the web pages of some manufacturers, to allow you to download updated software or drivers.
- uoa-corporate - provides staff with University owned laptops the same level of service as a wired connection. It is not available for general access.