University of Aberdeen - a wireless campus
Our wireless network service allows registered users encrypted and secure access to the internet 24/7, 365 days a year. Wireless access is available from most University academic, administrative and residential buildings.
For more information about the wireless service, see:
Wireless for staff | Wireless for students | Wireless for visitors
|Note: From Monday 2 March 2015, you must append @abdn.ac.uk to your username when connecting to eduroam,
e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, etc.
We recommend you run this automatic configuration wizard to ensure that your device is configured optimally for the wireless services.
- Click on above link to launch the setup wizard, then follow the simple onscreen instructions. The autoconfig tool will automatically detect your OS and send the correct configuration to your device.
- Suitable for: Windows 8, 7, and Vista; Mac OSX 10.7+ and iOS; Ubuntu; Android; ChromeOS; and Fedora.
- Note for Android users: Before you run the XpressConnect automatic configuration, go to Settings -> Security on your device and tick the Unknown sources option. Once you have configured your device for wireless, you can untick this option.
- Known issues:
- Auto-configuration of UoA corporate is suitable for Windows OS only.
- Auto-configuration of Wired eduroam/ResNet is not suitable for mobile devices.
- If you have a problem connecting an iPhone/iPad to the wireless network after running the XpressConnect automatic configuration, you may have entered your username and password incorrectly within the auto configuration setup. Try the following:
- Open Settings -> General -> Profiles
- Remove the eduroam or resnet profile you just configured.
- Run the auto configuration again, making sure you enter your username and password correctly. If you're unsure, click Check your Password before proceeding.
Guidelines are available on our Get Connected wireless fact sheets
Problems connecting? Problems with wireless reception?
Which wireless service should you use?
Free University services
University staff and students have free, 24/7 access to these wireless networks on campus and in Halls:
- eduroam (via the JANET Roaming Service) - provides staff and students with authenticated access here and at participating eduroam sites world-wide.
- eduroam is also available as a wired service at assigned desks within the Library.
- ResNet - provides students with a room level service in University of Aberdeen Halls of Residence.
- ResNet is also available as a wired service in Hillhead’s New Carnegie Court, Fyfe, Wavell, and Adam Smith halls (Aberdeen) and the Halls of Residence at Raigmore Hospital (Inverness).
- uoa-corporate - provides staff with University owned laptops the same level of service as a wired connection.
Other wireless services
While on campus, you will also see other wireless services, including
- guestweb - quick and easy internet access for hosted visitors to the University. Use this to provide wireless access to visiting academics and researchers who do not have Eduroam access at their home institution.
- _The Cloud - a commercial service for members of the public or conference delegates. This is a charged service (although it is bundled with some mobile phone contracts and does allow 15 minutes usage per day). University staff and students should use the free services Eduroam or ResNet instead.
- wireless-help - allows you to access software that will automatically configure your device for the University wireless services. It also provides help for anyone having trouble connecting to Eduroam and ResNet