BA, MA, PhD
PhD in History and Philosophy of Science and Technology, 2006, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
MA in History and Philosophy of Science and Technology, 2001, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
MA in Philosophy, 1999, York University, Toronto, Canada
BA (Honours) in Communication, Culture, and Information Technology (Science and Technology Studies), 1998, Queen's University, Kingston, Canada
Material practices of northern colonialism; Imagined northern geographies and landscapes; History of technology; History of exploration - particularly heroic exploration narratives; Technology, exploration, and empire; History of aviation; Canadian history - interwar and northern history; Environmental history
I am interested in the relationship between technology and place in the circumpolar world, the role of technology in the practice of polar exploration, and I have a special interest in the history of aviation in the circumpolar world. My current research examines the polar flights of Roald Amundsen and Richard Byrd in the 1920s and 1930s as a way of exploring how the introduction of aircraft influenced our images of polar exploration, polar environments, and polar heroes. I am also developing a new research project looking at the history of the north as a militarised space. More broadly, I am interested in how the technologies we use to move through northern environments leave traces on our ideas about 'the north'.
Contributions to Journals
- Cronin, M. (2010). 'Polar Horizons: Images of the Arctic in Accounts of Amundsen’s Polar Aviation Expeditions'. Scientia Canadensis, vol 33, no. 2, pp. 99-120.
[Online] DOI: 10.7202/1006152ar
- Cronin, M. (2009). 'Fading Away: Technological Decline in Canadian Aviation'. Scientia Canadensis, vol 32, no. 2, pp. 1-20.
[Online] DOI: 10.7202/038158ar
- Cronin, M. (2007). 'Northern Visions: Aerial Surveying and the Canadian Mining Industry, 1919-1928'. Technology and Culture, vol 48, no. 2, pp. 303-330.
[Online] DOI: 10.1353/tech.2007.0063
Reviews of Books, Films and Articles
- Cronin, M. (2013). 'The Mapping of Antarctica. By Jakob Søndergård Pedersen and Philip Curtis. London: The Map House, 2012. ISBN 978-0-9571487-0-0. Pp. 164, illus. STG £45.00 (paper)'. Imago Mundi, vol 65, no. 2, pp. 309-310.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/03085694.2013.784632
- Cronin, M. (2009). 'White Horizon: The Arctic in the Nineteenth-Century British Imagnation'. The Northern Review, vol 31, no. Fall, pp. 267-270.
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Cronin, M. 'Shaped by the Land: Searching for the Ideal Plane'. in S Bocking & B Martin (eds), Perspectives on the Environmental History of Northern Canada. University of Calgary Press.
- Cronin, M. (2013). 'The Landscape of Exploration: Renegotiating images of the Arctic in the age of polar exploration'. in D Jorgensen & S Sorlin (eds), Northscapes: History, Technology, and the Making of Northern Environments. UBC Press, Vancouver.