Health and Safety

Ensuring that our campuses are safe places for staff, students and visitors is a priority for the University.

Each School/Support Service must develop and maintain its own health and safety management system. Local arrangements are described in School/Support Service health and safety policies. Each member of staff will receive a copy of, or be given ready access to, the relevant parts of the health and safety policy for his/her School/Support Service.

Each School/Support Service has appointed a member of staff as its local Safety Adviser to provide advice and assistance with health and safety matters to staff and students in the School/Support Service. They are supported by a central team of health and safety professionals including:

It is expected that most health and safety problems will be resolved by discussions within the School/Support Service concerned. An individual member of staff with a concern about a health and safety matter should discuss it initially with his/her line manager or with the local Safety Adviser. If the matter is not resolved in this way it should be brought to the attention of the Head of School/Support Service. 

The following information was prepared by the Health and Safety Executive. All employers are obliged by law to bring it to the attention of their employees.

Health and Safety Law:– what you need to know

All workers have a right to work in places where risks to their health and safety are properly controlled. Health and safety is about stopping you getting hurt at work or ill through work. Your employer is responsible for health and safety, but you must help.

What employers must do for you

  1. Decide what could harm you in your job and the precautions to stop it. This is part of risk assessment.
  2. In a way you can understand, explain how risks will be controlled and tell you who is responsible for this.
  3. Consult and work with you and your health and safety representatives in protecting everyone from harm in the workplace.
  4. Free of charge, give you the health and safety training you need to do your job.
  5. Free of charge, provide you with any equipment and protective clothing you need, and ensure it is properly looked after.
  6. Provide toilets, washing facilities and drinking water.
  7. Provide adequate first-aid facilities.
  8. Report major injuries and fatalities at work to our Incident Contact Centre
    0845 300 9923. Report other injuries, diseases and dangerous incidents
    online at
  9. Have insurance that covers you in case you get hurt at work or ill through work. Display a hard copy or electronic copy of the current insurance certificate where you can easily read it.
  10. Work with any other employers or contractors sharing the workplace or providing employees (such as agency workers), so that everyone's health and safety is protected.

What you must do

  1. Follow the training you have received when using any work items your employer has given you.
  2. Take reasonable care of your own and other people's health and safety.
  3. Co-operate with your employer on health and safety.
  4. Tell someone (your employer, supervisor, or health and safety representative) if you think the work or inadequate precautions are putting anyone's health and safety at serious risk.

If there's a problem

  1. If you are worried about health and safety in your workplace, talk to your employer, supervisor, or health and safety representative.
  2. You can also look at our website for general information about health and safety at work.
  3. If, after talking with your employer, you are still worried, you can find the address of your local enforcing authority for health and safety and the Employment Medical Advisory Service via the HSE's website

Fire safety

You can get advice on fire safety from the Fire and Rescue Services or your workplace fire officer.

Employment rights

Find out more about your employment rights at:

Employer's liability insurance certificate


For more information:

University Safety Adviser

Naveed Qamar, MA, BSc, CMIOSH 
Director of Health, Safety and Wellbeing:
University Office
Regent Walk
Old Aberdeen
Tel: 01224 272783 or 07481 850414

report accident online

Report Online

Report a work-related accident or near-miss.