Dr Mervyn Bain
MA, MLitt, PhD
Mervyn Bain was appointed as a Teaching Fellow in June 2004 and in June 2005 he was appointed as a Lecturer. He obtained his undergraduate, Masters and PhD degrees all from the University of Glasgow.
International Diplomatic Relations
Latin America and in particular Cuba
Soviet and Post Soviet Russia
IR1002 Introduction to International Relations
PI3049 Concepts and Approaches to Politics and IR
IR3508 Soviet and Post Soviet Russian Foreign Policy
IR4003 Modern Day Latin America
Contributions to Journals
- Bain, MJ. (2012). 'Revolution to Revolution: Moscow and Havana from 1917 to 1959'. Diplomacy & Statecraft, vol 23, no. 1, pp. 1-22.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/09592296.2012.651958
- Bain, MJ. (2011). 'Russia and Cuba: "doomed" comrades?'. Communist and Post-Communist Studies, vol 44, no. 2, pp. 111-118.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.postcomstud.2011.04.001
- Payne, RA., Oliver, JJ., Bateman, DN., Bain, M. & Elders, A. (2009). 'Patterns and predictors of re-admission to hospital with self-poisoning in Scotland'. Public Health, vol 123, no. 2, pp. 134-137.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.puhe.2008.12.002
- Bain, MJ. (2006). 'Triangle of Mistrust: Washington, Moscow and Havana'. Journal of Transatlantic Studies, vol 4, no. 2, pp. 145-162.
- Bain, MJ. (2005). 'Cuba-Soviet Relations in the Gorbachev Era'. Journal of Latin American Studies, vol 37, no. 4, pp. 769-791.
[Online] DOI: 10.1017/S0022216X05009867
- Bain, MJ. (2004). 'The Glasnost Effect on Soviet/Cuban Relations in the Gorbachev Era'. Journal of Transatlantic Studies, vol 2, no. 2, pp. 125-142.
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Bain, MJ. (2012). 'Havana and Moscow: The Washington Factor'. in S Castro Marino & R Pruessen (eds), Fifty Years of Revolution: Perspectives on Cuba, the United States and the World. University Press of Florida, Gainesville, FL, pp. 72-89.
- Bain, MJ. (2012). 'Havana and Moscow in the Post-Soviet World'. in J Loss & JM Prieto (eds), Caviar With Rum: Cuba-USSR and the Post-Soviet Experience. Palgrave Macmillan, New York, pp. 239-249.
- Oelsner, A. & Bain, MJ. (2009). 'Latin America'. in CW Haerpfer, P Bernhagen, RF Inglehart & C Welzel (eds), Democratization. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom, pp. 290-308.
- Bain, MJ. (2006). 'Gorbachev's Legacy for Russian-Cuban Relations in the 1990s'. in Redefining Cuban Foreign Policy. 'The Impact of the "Special Period". Redefining Cuban Foreign Policy. 'The Impact of the "Special Period", pp. 212-232.
- Bain, MJ. (2006). 'Globalization in Havana and Moscow'. in Cuba in Transition?, Pathways to Renewal, Long-Term Development and Global Reintegration, pp.175-188.. Cuba in Transition?, Pathways to Renewal, Long-Term Development and Global Reintegration, pp.175-188.
Books and Reports
- Bain, MJ. (in press). 'From Lenin to Castro; 1917-1959. Early Encounters between Moscow and Havana'. Lexington Books.
- Bain, MJ. (2007). 'Soviet-Cuban Relations, 1985 to 1991: Changing Perceptions in Moscow and Havana'. Lexington Books.