Dr MARGARET BOLTON
2007-8 Temporary Lecturer in Anthropology, Department of Social Sciences, University of Hull
2006-7 Temporary Lecturer, Department of Peace Studies, University of Bradford.
2003-6 ESRC Research Fellow, Department of Social Anthropology, University of Manchester.
2002-3 Temporary Lecturer, Department of Social Anthropology, University of Manchester.
2001 Ph.D. – Social Anthropology, University of St. Andrews.
1993 M.Litt. – Amerindian Studies, University of St. Andrews.
1982 B.Sc. (Hons.) Physics, University of Manchester.
Andes region (Bolivia); science, technology and expertise; development; animal-human relations; colonialism; the state; ethnohistory.
2010-11 British Academy Small Grant: Education, Citizenship and Democracy in Rural Bolivia funding for pilot study into adult/alternative education under the Morales administration.
2010 CASS research funding: Education, Citizenship and Democracy in Rural Bolivia
2003-6 ESRC Research Fellowship: The Reception and Interpretation of Science and Technology in non-Western contexts.
2002 British Academy Small Grant
2000 Radcliffe-Brown Memorial Fund Award
Member of ESRC college of referees for postdoctoral fellowship applications
Member of planning committee for 'Seeking Bridges' conference, Oxford Brookes University.
Contributions to Journals
- Bolton, M. (2007). 'Counting Llamas and Accounting for People: Livestock, Land and Citizens in Southern Bolivia'. The Sociological Review, vol 55, no. 1, pp. 5-21.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-954X.2007.00680.x
- Bolton, M. (2006). 'Genetic Defects or Generative Prototypes: Competing Models for Livestock Improvement in Southern Bolivia'. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, vol 12, no. 3, pp. 531-549.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9655.2006.00351.x
- Bolton, ME. (2002). 'Doing Waki in San Pablo de Lipez: Reciprocity Between the Living and the Dead'. Anthropos, vol 97, no. 2, pp. 379-396.
Reviews of Books, Films and Articles
- Bolton, ME. (2012). 'Review of: "Roosters at Midnight: Indigenous Signs and Stigma in Local Bolivian Politics" by Robert Albro'. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, vol 18, no. 1, pp. 219-220.
- Bolton, M. (2008). 'Review of "El Alto, Rebel City: Self and Citizenship in Andean Bolivia" by Sian Lazar'. Journal of Peasant Studies, vol 35, no. 3, pp. 544-546.
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Bolton, ME. (2010). 'Healthy Meat and Natural Animals: Nature, Culture and Decolonizing Knowledge in Bolivia'. in M Bolton & C Degnen (eds), Animals and Science: From Colonial Encounters to the Biotech Industry. Cambridge Scholars Pub., Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom, pp. 169-195.
- Bolton, ME. & Degnen, C. (2010). 'Introduction: Animals and Science: From Colonial Encounters to the Biotech Industry'. in Animals and Science: From Colonial Encounters to the Biotech Industry. Cambridge Scholars Pub., Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom, pp. 1-29.
- Bolton, M. (2006). 'The Devil and Maria Picha Picha at San Antonio de Lipez: A 'pachakuti' in the colonial past of a mining area'. in P Dransart (ed.), Kay Pacha: Cultivating earth and water in the Andes. British Archaeological Reports International Series, no. 1478, Archaeopress, Oxford, United Kingdom, pp. 47-54.
- Bolton, M. (2005). 'Quartering Sheep at Carnaval, Sud Lipez, Bolivia'. in W James & D Mills (eds), The Qualities of Time: Anthropological Approaches. Association of Social Anthropologists Monographs, vol. 41, Berg Publishers, pp. 187-201.
- Bolton, ME. (2004). 'Contando llamas y dando cuenta de gente: La importancia de ser (o no ser) 'indio' en Sud Lipez, Bolivia'. in Annual Review of archival and bibliografical Bolivian studies 2004. vol. 10, Archivo y Biblioteca Nacionales de Bolivia, Sucre, Bolivia, pp. 129-157.
Books and Reports
- Bolton, ME. & Degnen, C. (2010). 'Animals and Science: From Colonial Encounters to the Biotech Industry'. Cambridge Scholars Pub., Newcastle-upon-Tyne.