Dr Arnar Arnason
BA, MA, PhD
Arnar Árnason was appointed lecturer in social anthropology in the Department in September 2004. He has a B.A. degree in Anthropology from the University of Iceland, and M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Social Anthropology from the University of Durham, England. He has carried out fieldwork in England, Japan, Iceland and Scotland. His research interests include: death, emotion, and psychotherapy and the politics thereof; subjectivities/subjection; narratives, memory and forgetting; embodiment; identity and landscape.
AT3006 Doing Anthropological Research
AT3501 Anthropological Theory
AT5001 Philosophy and Methods of Research in Social Anthropology, Ethnology and Cultural History I
SL5007 Methodology, Theory and Ethics.
Contributions to Journals
- Vergunst, J. & Arnason, A. (2012). 'Introduction: Routing landscape: Ethnographic studies of movement and journeying'. Landscape Research, vol 37, no. 2, pp. 147-154.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/01426397.2012.669955
[Online] AURA: vergunst_arnason_introduction.docx
- Arnason, A., Hafsteinsson, SB. & Grétarsdóttir, T. (2007). 'Acceleration Nation: An Investigation into the Violence of Speed and the Uses of Accidents in Iceland'. Culture, Theory and Critique, vol 48, no. 2, pp. 199-217.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/14735780701723314
- Lee, J., Arnason, A., Nightingale, A. & Shucksmith, M. (2005). 'Networking: social capital and identities in European rural development'. Sociologia Ruralis, vol 45, no. 4, pp. 269-283.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9523.2005.00305.x
- Arnason, A., Hafsteinsson, SB. & Gretarsdottir, T. (2004). 'New dawn: death, grief and the 'nation form' in Iceland'. Mortality, vol 9, no. 4, pp. 329-343.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/13576270412331329830
- Arnason, A., Hafsteinsson, SB. & Grétarsdóttir, T. (2003). 'Letters to the dead: Obituaries and identity, memory and forgetting in Iceland'. Mortality, vol 8, no. 3, pp. 271-287.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/13576270310001599812
- Arnason, A. & Hafsteinsson, SB. (2003). 'The revival of death: expression, expertise and governmentality'. British Journal of Sociology, vol 54, no. 1, pp. 43-62.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/0007131032000045897
- Arnason, A. & Simpson, B. (2003). 'Refractions through culture: the new genomics in Iceland'. Ethnos, vol 68, no. 4, pp. 533-553.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/0014184032000160550
- Arnason, A. (2002). 'Menning er máttur'. Ritið, vol 3, pp. 83-100.
- Arnason, A. (2001). 'Experts of the ordinary: Bereavement Counselling in Britain'. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, vol 7, no. 2, pp. 699-713.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/1467-9655.00064
- Arnason, A. (2000). 'Biography, bereavement, story'. Mortality, vol 5, no. 2, pp. 189-204.
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Arnason, A. (2012). 'Individuals and relationships: on the possibilities and impossibilities of presence'. in D Davies & C Park (eds), Emotion, Identity and Death : Mortality Across Disciplines. Ashgate, pp. 59-70.
- Vergunst, J., Whitehouse, AJ., Ellison, N. & Arnason, A. (2012). 'Introduction: Landscapes beyond land'. in A Arnason, N Ellison, J Vergunst & A Whitehouse (eds), Landscapes Beyond Land. Routes, Aesthetics, Narratives.. Berghahn Books, Oxford, pp. 1-14.
- Arnason, A., Nightingale, A., Shucksmith, M. & Vergunst, J. (2009). 'Introduction'. in J Vergunst, A Arnason & M Shucksmith (eds), Comparing Rural Development: Continuity and Change in the Countryside of Western Europe. Perspectives on Rural Policy and Planning, Ashgate, Farnham, United Kingdom, pp. 1.
- Vergunst, J., Arnason, A., MacIntyre, R. & Nightingale, A. (2009). 'Using environmental resources: Networks in food and landscape'. in JL Vergunst, A Árnason & M Shucksmith (eds), Comparing Rural Development: Continuity and Change in the Countryside of Western Europe. Perspectives on Rural Policy and Planning, Ashgate, Farnham, United Kingdom, pp. 143-170.
- Arnason, A. (2009). 'The theoretical context of bereavement'. in Death and dying: the contexts of grief and bereavement. Open University Press, Milton Keynes, pp. 7-34.
- Arnason, A. (2009). 'Urbanisation, acceleration and the Modern: Or the arthimetic of ganis and losses: a very shorth ethnography of eternity'. in F Sejersen, K Thisted & S Thuesen (eds), The urban Arctic. Living communities : New Perspectives on Inuit Urban Life. University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark, pp. 63.
- Arnason, A. (2008). 'Death in Iceland, hidden and revealed'. in S Earle, C Bartholomew & C Komaromy (eds), Making sense of death, dying and bereavement: An anthology. Open University Press, London, United Kingdom, pp. 148-149.
- Arnason, A., Hafsteinsson, S. & Grétarsdóttir, T. (2006). 'Washing the deceased, labelling the corpse: Preliminary notes on death in Iceland and how to treat a living human being'. in C Yuill & ER van Teijlingen (eds), Global perspectives and local issues: Medical sociology in Northeast Scotland. Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, United Kingdom, pp. 49-67.
- Arnason, A. (2001). 'The skills we need: bereavement counselling and governmentality in Britain'. in J Hockey, JS Katz & N Small (eds), Grief, mourning and death ritual: Facing Death. Open University Press, Maidenhead, United Kingdom, pp. 125-134.
Entries for Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Arnason, A. (2001). 'Anthropology'. in O Leaman & G Howarth (eds), Encyclopedia of death and dying. Routledge, London.
Books and Reports
- Arnason, A., Ellison, N., Vergunst, J. & Whitehouse, AJ. (eds) (2012). 'Landscapes Beyond Land: Routes, Aesthetics, Narratives'. Berghahn Books, Oxford.
- Vergunst, J., Arnason, A. & Shucksmith, M. (eds) (2009). 'Comparing Rural Development: Continuity and Change in the Countryside of Western Europe'. Perspectives on rural policy and planning, Ashgate, Farnham.
- Bondi, L., Fewell, J., Kirkwood, C. & Arnason, A. (2003). 'Voluntary sector counselling in Scotland: An overview'. Counselling and Society Research Team, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom.