Dr ANDREW MCKINNON
BA, MA (British Columbia), PhD (Toronto)
Current research interests in the sociology of religion include:
• Sociological theory and religion (sociological use of metaphors, classical theory, critical theory)
• Conflict in the Anglican Communion (research conducted with Dr. Christopher Brittain, Divinity, University of Aberdeen)
• Historical Sociology (especially in relation to religion and conflict, discipline, violence and social control).
• I am also interested in sociological theory that can be used to better understand the roles of energy in society.
Undergraduate: I am Course Coordinator for, and lecture on, Introduction to Sociology II (SO1507); I lecture on Modernity and Social Theory (SO3523), and Sociology of Religion and Culture (SO4539). I am a tutor for SO3523 and SO4539.
Postgraduate: I have primary responsibility for the core course for the MSc in Religion and Society, Religious Belief and Practice in the Modern World (SO5514).
Editorial Board: • Sociology (Journal of the British Sociological Association)
• Studies in Critical Research on Religion (Book Series from Brill)
• Critical Research on Religion: An Interdisciplinary Journal (new journal from Sage, beginning in 2013)
Associate Editor: • Sociology of Religion (Journal of the Association for the Sociology of Religion)
• The Canadian Journal of Sociology
I am external examiner for the BA Sociology degree at the University of Derby.
Postgraduate Officer for Sociology and chair the Departmental Postgraduate Committee.
Postgraduate Research Degree Officer for the School of Social Science.
Doctoral research supervision
I would be happy to hear from prospective doctoral students in the areas of:
• social theory (critical or classical social theory approaches to religion);
• sociology of religion (historical or contemporary Christianity, religious conflict, theory, cultural sociological approaches to the study of religion);
• sociology of energy.
Contributions to Journals
- McKinnon, A. (in press). 'Elementary Forms of the Metaphorical Life: Tropes at Work in Durkheim’s Theory of the Religious'. Journal of Classical Sociology.
- McKinnon, A. (in press). 'Ideology and the Market Metaphor in Rational Choice Theory of Religion: A Rhetorical Critique of “Religious Economies”'. Critical Sociology.
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/0896920511415431
- McKinnon, AM. (2012). 'Metaphors in and for the Sociology of Religion: Towards a Theory after Nietzsche'. Journal of Contemporary Religion, vol 27, no. 2, pp. 203-216.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/13537903.2012.675688
- McKinnon, A., Trzebiatowska, M. & Brittain, C. (2011). 'Bourdieu, Capital and Conflict in a Religious Field: The Case of the Anglican Communion'. Journal of Contemporary Religion, vol 26, no. 3, pp. 355-370.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/13537903.2011.616033
- Brittain, C. & McKinnon, A. (2011). 'Homosexuality and the Construction of ‘Anglican Orthodoxy’: The Symbolic Politics of the Anglican Communion'. Sociology of Religion, vol 72, no. 3, pp. 351-373.
[Online] DOI: 10.1093/socrel/srq088
- McKinnon, A. (2010). 'Elective Affinities of the Protestant Ethic: Max Weber's Chemistry of Capitalism'. Sociological Theory, vol 28, no. 1, pp. 108-126.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9558.2009.01367.x
- McKinnon, A. (2010). 'Energy and society: Herbert Spencer’s ‘energetic sociology’ of social evolution and beyond'. Journal of Classical Sociology, vol 10, no. 4, pp. 439-455.
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/1468795X10385184
[Online] AURA: Herbert_Spencer_Energetics.pdf
- Hart, R. & McKinnon, A. (2010). 'Sociological Epistemology: Durkheim’s Paradox and Dorothy E. Smith’s Actuality'. Sociology, vol 44, no. 6, pp. 1038-1054.
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/0038038510381609
- McKinnon, A. (2005). 'Reading ‘Opium of the People’: Expression, Protest and the Dialectics of Religion'. Critical Sociology, vol 31, no. 1/2, pp. 15-38.
[Online] DOI: 10.1163/1569163053084360
- McKinnon, A. (2003). 'The Religious, the Paranormal and Church Attendance: A Response to Orenstein'. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, vol 42, no. 2, pp. 299-303.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/1468-5906.00181
- McKinnon, A. (2002). 'Sociological Definitions, Language Games and the Essence of Religion'. Method and Theory in the Study of Religion, vol 14, no. 1, pp. 61-83.
[Online] DOI: 10.1163/157006802760198776
Comments and Debates
- McKinnon, A. (2006). 'Ritual Re-definition as Passport Control: A Rejoinder to Timothy Fitzgerald after Bourdieu'. Method and Theory in the Study of Religion, vol 18, no. 2, pp. 179-188.
[Online] DOI: 10.1163/157006806777832878
Reviews of Books, Films and Articles
- McKinnon, A. (2011). 'PARANORMAL AMERICA: GHOST ENCOUNTERS, UFO SIGHTINGS, BIGFOOT HUNTS, AND OTHER CURIOSITIES IN RELIGION AND CULTURE by Christopher D. Bader, F. Carson Mencken, and Joseph O. Baker'. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, vol 50, no. 2, pp. 431-433.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-5906.2011.01577_7.x
- McKinnon, A. (2010). 'Martin Riesebrodt, The Promise of Salvation: A Theory of Religion'. Canadian Journal of Sociology, vol 35, no. 3, pp. 470-473.
- McKinnon, A. (2001). 'Sociology Beyond Societies: Mobilities for the Twenty-First Century by John Urry'. Sociological Research Online, vol 5, no. 4.
- McKinnon, A. (1999). 'Religion, Mobilization and Social Action, edited by Anselm Shupe and Bronislaw Misztal'. Critical Sociology, vol 25, no. 2.
- McKinnon, A. (2007). 'For an ‘Energetic’ Sociology, or, Why Coal, Oil and Electricity Matter for Sociological Theory'. Critical Sociology, vol 33, no. 1-2, pp. 345-356.
[Online] DOI: 10.1163/156916307X168683
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- McKinnon, A. (2010). 'The Sociology of Religion: The Foundations'. in B Turner (ed.), New Blackwell Companion to Sociology of Religion. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, United Kingdom, pp. 33-51.
- McKinnon, A. (2006). 'Opium as Dialectical Metaphor: Religion, Expression, and Protest'. in W S. Goldstein (ed.), Marxism Critical Theory and Religion: a Critique of Rational Choice. Studies in Critical Social Sciences, vol. 6, E.J. Brill, Leiden, pp. 11-29.
Entries for Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- McKinnon, A. (2004). 'Jacques Ellul'. in C Murray (ed.), Encylopedia of Modern French Thought. Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, New York.