BA, MDiv, MA (University of Gothenburg), ThD (Lund University)
DipHE (Sahlgrenska Academy), PGCert (Gothenburg Psychotherapy Institute), DipHE (Chalmers University of Technology)
Dr. Tomas Bokedal holds a doctorate from Lund University, and was previously Lecturer at the Lutheran School of Theology in Gothenburg, Sweden. Educated in New Testament studies, theology and hermeneutics, Dr. Bokedal's primary fields of research concern Christian origins and the relation of 'Scripture and Theology.' His approach to these topics involves research into the transmission of the gospel tradition, the technology of early Christian communication, the canon and canonical criticism, papyrology/codicology, textual and ritual theory, Pauline theology, early Christian confession, and patristic exegesis.
- The emergence of the scribal system of nomina sacra
- The Rule of Faith in biblical interpretation
- The New Testament homologia and early Christian confession
- The notion of justification in the Book of Romans
- Pre-Pauline christology
- Use of the Old Testament in the Synoptic Gospels
- Jesus' baptism and early Christian baptism
- Orality and literacy, and the transmission of the gospel tradition
- Various aspects of New Testament canonisation
- Scripture in the second century
- The hermeneutics of H.-G. Gadamer and New Testament interpretation
- The concept of revelation in Søren Kierkegaard
- Søren Kierkegaard on the God-relationship and the healing of the self
- BD and BTh Admissions Selector
- Programme Coordinator, MTh in Biblical Studies
- MTh Dissertations Co-ordinator
- DHP representative on the KPI Senate Working Group
- Personal Tutor
Supervision, Teaching and External Responsibilities
Dr. Bokedal is currently supervising, or has recently supervised, Ph.D. projects on royal messiah and eschatological prophet – textual interaction between the Lukan canticles and the Nazareth sermon (Luke 1-2; 4:16-30), the historical Jesus and the last supper, redeemer Christology in Paul (Romans and Galatians), the use of Abiathar and Mark 2:26, the formation of the Pauline corpus, Paul and gospel – the hermeneutics of hearing, the use of the Old Testament in the canticles of Luke's Gospel, the role of the miracle stories and charismatic activities in Matthew's Gospel, divorce and remarriage in Matthew 5:31-32 and 19:3-10, Pentecostal exegesis and Gadamerian hermeneutics, psychodynamic approaches to 1 Corinthians, and prayer in the four Gospels (published with Brill). At present he supervises ten part- and full-time Ph.D. students. Dr. Bokedal has previously organized the postgraduate New Testament seminar, and (with Dr. Donald Wood) the Divinity and Religious Studies hermeneutics seminar.
Teaching and/or course co-ordination (*) involve the following courses:
- Exploring the New Testament (DR 1073)
- Religions of the World: The Near East (DR 1550)
- Jesus in History and Culture* (DR 252E)
- Reading New Testament Greek 1* (DR 2055)
- Junior Honours Special Subject* (DR351P)
- Honours Dissertation* (DR4544)
- Paul's Letter to the Romans* (DR 4043, DR 552X)
- The Emergence of Christology* (DR 503F)
- New Testament Theology* (DR 552F)
- Dissertation Colloquium and Research Skills* (DR 502H)
- The Synoptic Gospels and the Jesus Tradition* (DR502X)
- Dissertation* (DR 552G)
Previous teaching and/or course co-ordination (*):
- Jesus of Nazareth: Life, Message, Teaching* (DR 1026)
- Rise of Christianity (DR 1028)
- Jesus and the Gospels* (DR 1040)
- Global Issues/Global Religions (SX 1017)
- The Classical Tradition: Key Works for European Civilisation (HC 1524)
- Earliest Portraits of Jesus* (DR 1527)
- Greek Language 2* (DR1538)
- Paul of Tarsus (English Texts, DR 2522)
- Paul of Tarsus (Greek Texts, DR 2523)
- Earliest Portraits of Jesus* (DR 2559)
- New Testament Theology* (DR 351N)
- New Testament Texts: Epistles (English Texts, DR 3075)
- The Origins of Christology* (DR 4090)
- Method in Theology (DR 5062)
External and internal examining:
- External Examiner (BA Theology, BD Theology, GradDip Theology), Union School of Theology, University of Chester, 2014-
- External Examiner (Biblical Studies), Oak Hill College, Middlesex University, 2010-2014
- Examination of the following PhD theses: (with Dr. Michael F. Bird) Joel Kennedy, The Recapitulation of Israel: Use of Israel's History in Matthew 1:1-4:11 (Aberdeen, 2007; WUNT 2/257; Mohr Siebeck: Tübingen, 2008), (with Prof. Samuel Byrskog) Alan Macgregor, Listening for Meaning: Towards the Development of Aural Approaches to Exegesis in Mark (Aberdeen, 2010), (with Prof. Darrell L. Bock) Jonathan Kienzler, The Holy Spirit's Relationship with Judgment in Luke-Acts (Aberdeen, 2011; JPTS 44, Deo Publishing, 2015), (with Prof. N. T. Wright) Mark D. Owens, 'Behold, I Make All Things New': An Intertextual Analysis of New Creation in Galatians, 2 Corinthians, and Ephesians (Aberdeen, 2012; Wipf & Stock, 2015), (with Prof. Sonu Shamdasani), Nathalie Pilard, On the importance and the variety of forms of intuition in the early work of Carl Gustav Jung: 1875-1921 (Aberdeen, 2013; Karnac Books, 2015), (with Prof. Sarah Pearce) Reuben Y. T. Lee, Diaspora Judaeans and Proselytes in Early Roman Palestine: A Study of Ethnic, Social, and Cultural Boundaries (Aberdeen, 2013), (with Dr. Mark T. Finney) Chun Ho Bernard Leung, Economic Stratification of First-Century Urban Non-Élite: A Study of Roman Society and the Earliest Pauline Communities (Aberdeen, 2013), (with Dr. Matthew Novenson) Hongsuk Um, Observation of Celestial Phenomena in the Gospel of Matthew (Edinburgh, 2014), (with Prof. Jostein Ådna) Jung Jin Kim, 'Declare among the Nations': An Examination of the Biblical Motif of Verbal Declaration by God's People (Aberdeen, 2015), (with Prof. Dr. Christoph Stenschke) Rev. James T. Hughes, Ecclesial Solidarity in the Pauline Corpus (Aberdeen, 2015), (with Prof. Mogens Müller) Joseph M. Lear JR, What Shall We Do? Eschatology and Ethics in Luke-Acts (Aberdeen, 2015), (with Dr. Alistair I. Wilson) Eduard Borysov, Paul's Soteriology: Participation in the Triune God (Aberdeen, 2016), (with Dr. Sean Adams) Joshua O. Carroll, Philo and Paul: Experiencing Divine Wisdom (Aberdeen, 2016).
- Advisory editor of the peer-reviewed Scandinavian journal Theofilos
Page 1 of 2
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Contributions to Journals
- Bokedal, T. (2015). 'Felfri Skrift? Tankar kring textoriginal, textvarianter och variationer mellan texterna'. Dansk Tidsskrift for Teologi og Kirke, vol 42, no. 2, pp. 152-167.
- Bokedal, T. (2015). 'The Early Rule-of-Faith Pattern as Emergent Biblical Theology'. Theofilos, vol 7, no. 1 (Suppl.), pp. 57-75.
[Online] AURA: vol_7_nr_1_2015_Theofilos_Supplement_Bokedal.pdf
- Bokedal, T. (2015). 'Var ligger auktoriteten? Om kanon, kyrka och tradition'. Begrunda, no. 1, pp. 10-18.
- Bokedal, T. (2013). 'The Rule of Faith: Tracing Its Origins'. Journal of Theological Interpretation, vol 7, no. 2, pp. 233-255.
- Bokedal, T. (2013). 'Canon Formation and Interpretation – Problems and Possibilities'. CTTS Journal, no. 4, pp. 9-75.
- Bokedal, T. (2012). 'Jesustillbedjan i den första kyrkan – nyckel till kristologin'. Begrunda, no. 2, pp. 24-30.
- Bokedal, T. (2010). 'Kanon och apokryfer: om Bibelns gränser'. Begrunda, vol 2010, no. 2, pp. 21-27.
- Bokedal, T. (2008). 'Släkttavlan i Matteus - bara tråkig?'. Hälsning, no. 5, pp. 4-5.
- Bokedal, T. (2006). 'Bibeln – Helig Skrift?: Om kanonprocessen och Skrifterna som bär kyrkan'. Begrunda, no. 2, pp. 9-16.
- Bokedal, T. (2006). '"Raamatun salaiset kirjat" I'. Uusi Tie, no. 13.
- Bokedal, T. (2006). '"Raamatun salaiset kirjat" II'. Uusi Tie, no. 17.
Reviews of Books, Films and Articles
- Bokedal, TJM. (2017). 'Jesus the God-Man: The Unity and Diversity of the Gospel Portrayals. By Darrell L. Bock with Benjamin I. Simpson. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2016'. Expository Times, vol 128, no. 6, pp. 303-304. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/0014524616684712a
- Bokedal, TJM. (2016). 'Early Christian and Jewish Narrative: The Role of Religion in Shaping Narrative Forms. Edited by Ilaria Ramelli & Judith Perkins. WUNT 348. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2015'. Journal for the Study of the New Testament, vol 38, no. 5, pp. 8. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/0142064X16648853
- Bokedal, TJM. (2016). 'The Oxford Handbook of Christology. Edited by Francesca Aran Murphy. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015'. Journal for the Study of the New Testament, vol 38, no. 5, pp. 22-23. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/0142064X16648854
- Bokedal, TJM. (2016). 'Taufe und Mahlgemeinschaft: Studien zur Vorgeschichte der altkirchlichen Taufeucharistie. By Hans-Ulrich Weidemann. WUNT 338. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2014'. Journal for the Study of the New Testament, vol 38, no. 5, pp. 122-123. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/0142064X16648896
- Bokedal, TJM. (2015). 'The Holy Spirit: In Biblical Teaching, through the Centuries, and Today. By Anthony C. Thiselton. London: SPCK, 2013'. European Journal of Theology, vol 24, no. 2, pp. 197-199.
- Bokedal, T. (2015). 'The Question of Canon: Challenging the Status Quo in the New Testament Debate: By Michael J. Kruger. Nottingham: Inter-Varsity Press, 2013'. Theology, vol 118, no. 1, pp. 65-66. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/0040571X14551928y
- Bokedal, T. (2014). 'God's Saving Grace: A Pauline Theology. By Frank J. Matera. Grand Rapids, MI and Cambridge, UK: Eerdmans, 2012'. Journal of Theological Studies, vol 65, no. 1, pp. 232-236. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1093/jts/flt188
- Bokedal, T. (2013). 'Replik på N. T. Wright och Gary R. Habermas nytestamentliga perspektiv'. Theofilos, vol 6, no. 2, pp. 80-85.
- Bokedal, T. (2012). 'Canon and Canonicity: The Formation and Use of Scripture. Edited by Einar Thomassen. Pp. 232. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press, University of Copenhagen, 2010'. Journal of Theological Studies, vol 63, no. 2, pp. 692-697. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1093/jts/fls132
- Bokedal, T. (2012). 'Svensk-skotsk avhandling om Jesus och Gud i Markusevangeliet: Daniel Johansson, Jesus and God in the Gospel of Mark: Unity and Distinction. Diss. University of Edinburgh, 2011. pp. viii + 251'. Hälsning, no. 4, pp. 4, 9.
- Bokedal, T. (2011). 'Bridging the Gap: Ritual and Ritual Texts in the Bible. By Gerald A. Klingbeil. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2007. Pp. xiv + 304. And: The New Testament in Its Ritual World. By Richard E. DeMaris. New York: Routledge, 2008. Pp. x + 143'. Biblical Interpretation, vol 19, no. 4-5, pp. 511-516. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1163/156851510X541530
- Bokedal, T. (2011). 'Canon and Non-Canon: Update of the Debate: Lee Martin McDonald, Forgotten Scriptures: The Selection and Rejection of Early Religious Writings (Louisville: WJK Press, 2009. pp. 313'. Expository Times, vol 122, no. 8, pp. 409-410. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/00145246111220080807
- Bokedal, T. (2011). 'Theologically Reflected Worship: Ben Witherington III, We Have Seen His Glory: A Vision of Kingdom Worship (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 2010. pp. 176'. Expository Times, vol 122, no. 11, pp. 568. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/00145246111220110113
- Bokedal, T. (2009). 'John M G Barclay & Simon Gathercole, eds., Divine and Human Agency in Paul and his Cultural Environment. T & T Clark Continuum, 2008. pp 208'. Expository Times, vol 121, no. 2, pp. 92-93. DOI:
[Online] DOI: 10.1177/00145246091210021302