TUITION FEES POLICY FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS FOR THE 2011/12 ACADEMIC YEAR
1. All students taking University courses are required annually to pay the tuition fee for their programme of study and, where applicable, any examination or re-examination fees. Information on miscellaneous charges that may be payable by students can be found here.
2. Details of the tuition fees approved for each programme by the University Court for the Academic Year 2011/12 can be found here.
3. All fees for the year become legally due and are normally payable in one sum, at the time of registration. All the above fees include a composition element which entitles every student to the use of University facilities such as The Hub and the Aberdeen Sports Village.
4. Students registered for less than a full session in any academic year pay an appropriate part-year fee. Special arrangements also apply for non-public-funded full-time, and overseas/island part-time, research students who are permitted to study outwith Aberdeen. Full details are available on application to the Registry. Students admitted to a 12 month full-time taught postgraduate Master’s programme in January/February 2012 will be charged the full 12 month fee upon registration in January/February 2012, with no further charge made when they re-register in September 2012.
PART-TIME TUITION FEE RATES
1. Where programmes are available on a part-time basis the appropriate part-time rate is payable by postgraduate students registered for part-time study. The part-time fee rate for taught and research postgraduate programmes is 50% of the relevant full-time fee rate for Home/EU student; for Overseas students the part-time fee rate for taught and research postgraduate programmes is 37.5% of the relevant full-time Overseas rate. Exceptions are:
2. The fees for part-time UK/EU and Overseas students registered on a taught postgraduate programme and registered for fewer than 60 credit points are reduced pro rata.
ASSOCIATE STUDENT FEE
Part-time postgraduate students on a taught programme for which fees are at the standard rate and who have paid the tuition fees for courses totalling 120 credits will be permitted to register for the remaining Master’s degree requirements of that programme on payment of an Associate Student Fee of £100. That fee is also payable by those admitted as “Trainees”. Institutions offering validated programmes that lead to a University award pay a higher rate Associate Student Fee of £285.
CONTINUATION FEE FOR RESEARCH STUDENTS
All research students who have completed their prescribed period of supervised study, but who have not submitted their thesis for examination, are required to pay in each academic year in which they are not liable for a tuition fee a continuation fee of £100 to continue their candidature for the degree. These students must submit an application to extend their candidature.
RESEARCH STUDENT SUBMITTING WITHOUT APPROVED EXTENSION
Research students within their maximum period of study but submitting without an approved extension are liable for a fee of £500, payable upon submission of their thesis for examination.
Research students who are beyond the maximum period of study for their research degree but have been given approval to submit a thesis for examination, are required to pay a fee of £1135 upon submission of their thesis for examination.
1. Students registered for courses at level 5 (postgraduate) or for a degree by research who have paid the appropriate tuition or supervision fees are entitled, without further payment, to one opportunity of assessment. Where re-assessment is permitted the following charges apply:
2. If students fail to undertake a degree assessment for which they are a candidate, they will be liable for a re-assessment fee at any subsequent diet, except where a medical certificate or other exceptional reason explaining their absence is produced.
3. Candidates for the degrees of DLitt, DMus, DSc, LLD, and candidates under pre-2007 Regulations for the unsupervised degree of MD or ChM pay an examination fee of £860, and a re-examination fee, where applicable, of £430.
LATE AND PENALTY FEES
1. A late registration fee of £30 is payable by:
(i) students who fail to register within two weeks of their expected start date;
(ii) students liable to re-assessment fees who fail to register for re-assessment by the last date intimated on notices, posted throughout the University, but who do register before submitting themselves for the assessment concerned;
(iii) graduands wishing to graduate in person who fail to register by the last date intimated on notices posted throughout the University.
2. A penalty fee of £50 (inclusive of late registration fee) is payable by students liable to re-assessment fees who submit themselves for one or more prescribed degree or diploma assessments without having registered beforehand.
Separate charges are made for the following: graduation, late and penalty fees, transcripts or letters of certification, replacement degree certificates (which are issued only in exceptional circumstances), replacement student identity cards. Details of miscellaneous charges can be found here.LINK
REFUNDS FOLLOWING WITHDRAWAL FROM STUDY
Details of the University’s refund policy can be found here.
Further information on the fees detailed in this leaflet or on the website may be obtained from the Registry. Information on accommodation fees may be obtained from the Student Accommodation Office (www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation).
The University of Aberdeen is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC013683