Undergraduate Catalogue of Courses 2013/2014
Course Co-ordinator: Dr B Davies
Pre-requisite(s): PO 2504 Understanding Statistics or equivalent.
The course will introduce and develop the following aspects:
- Philosophical frameworks underpinning research approaches
- Research strategies for the design and conduct of research projects
- Ethical constraints and considerations in social science research
- Alternative sampling strategies and their benefits and limitations
- Quantitative methods, such as structured questionnaires and content analysis
- Qualitative methods, such as participant observations and ethnography
- Consideration of mixed methods and pragmatic concerns with research
1 one-hour lecture per week and 1 two-hour tutorial every two weeks over the duration of the course.
1st Attempt: 1 two-hour examination (70%); and continuous assessment (30%) consisting of a graded written assignment (approx 2500 words).
Resit: 1 two-hour examination (100%).