Applying Online is Fast and Simple
There are two simple options for applying for most postgraduate programmes at the University of Aberdeen with the exception of Education Programmes which are detailed below.
You can either:
Please read the Guidance Notes to help you complete the form accurately.
Complete Application forms must consist of:
- A completed Postgraduate Application Form
- Academic transcripts and/or degree certificate(s) to date
- For international applicants, proof of proficiency in English (English Language Requirements)
- Academic References. For Research Programmes (PhD, MPhil etc) two confidential references in sealed envelopes, signed by the referee across the seal, are required. For Taught Programmes (MBA, MSc, MLitt etc) graduates from a UK institution are not required to supply references. Applicants with a first degree from outwith the UK are required to submit one reference only.
- Applications for PhD and Masters by Research programmes require a Research Proposal to be submitted with the application. Some departments require an extended Research Profile and applicants should refer to individual school websites for details before submitting an application.
Please note, for the PGDE Primary and Secondary Education programmes, DO NOT use University of Aberdeen or Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) forms. Further information is available below.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact:
Postgraduate Admissions Office
University of Aberdeen,
Aberdeen, AB24 3FX
Tel: +44 (0)1224-273506
Fax: +44 (0)1224-272041
When Do I Apply?
The Academic year at Aberdeen starts in mid-September each year, and most taught Postgraduate programmes begin at that time.
For international students, postgraduate taught programmes beginning in September usually have an application deadline which is approximately 12 weeks prior to the commencement date of the programme. Any application received after this date will not be considered for September, but instead will be considered for the next available intake. Please note this deadline is to ensure students have sufficient time to complete the application process and apply for their visa, and arrive in Aberdeen in time for the start of their programme.
There is no 1 July deadline for those students classed as UK/EU for tuition fee purposes but allow time for your application to be processed (approximately 3 weeks) and for you to make arrangements to come to Aberdeen in time for the start of the session in September.
Most research students can apply and begin their studies at any point during the academic year.
How Is My Application Processed?
1. When the University of Aberdeen receives your form, an acknowledgement letter is issued and completed applications are passed to an Academic Selector for consideration.
2. Successful applicants will receive either a conditional or unconditional admission offer. Under the terms of a conditional offer, applicants are requested to obtain or provide evidence of further or pending qualifications that will allow them to fully satisfy the course entry criteria. Such students may, for example, be awaiting final undergraduate degree results. Unconditional offers may also be issued directly to applicants whose qualifications fully satisfy the entry criteria of their desired postgraduate programme. In addition, it is quite common for UK-based applicants for research degrees and candidates for postgraduate scholarships to be interviewed. Also interviewed (where possible) are those that have been out of education for a period of time.
3. You will be sent an Offer Letter, and an Acceptance/Decline and Financial Guarantee Form. You must complete and return these to the Postgraduate Admissions Office. Once we have received all the necessary documentation you will be 'cleared for admission' either immediately (for unconditional offers) or when you have met the conditions of our offer to you. You will then be sent a Certificate of Acceptance which, if you are an overseas student, will allow you to begin arrangements for your student visa.
4. Once you have been 'cleared for admission' you will also be sent, from June onwards, an Accommodation Booking Form and information regarding Registration and Tuition Fees.
Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
Please note that Overseas Research applicants for some Science, Engineering or Technology disciplines may require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate. The ATAS certificate must be obtained before applying for a student Entry Clearance or VISA. To see good and bad examples of ATAS example research proposals are available.
Information for Education Applicants
Applications for the PGDE in Primary or Secondary Education must be made through the Graduate Teacher Training Registry (GTTR). Please do not use University of Aberdeen or Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) forms. Applicants should note that although there is no official closing date for the PGDE Secondary, there is an official closing date for the PGDE Primary. Further details are available from GTTR; tel: +44 (0)870-1122200
Application for in-service education programmes is by completion of the below application form.