Project at a glance
Concept of building
Open for all
At a glance
What is it?
- A library designed for learning in the 21st century
- An intellectual and cultural centre for the University and all our communities
- A facility to match the quality, reputation and ambition of the University
Why do we need it?
- Existing facilities can no longer accommodate growing University community, and impede use of the tools and methods of modern learning
- Urgent need to rehouse historic collections, and acquire new ones
- Commitment to widen access to our treasures for the general public locally and beyond
Who will benefit?
- Students, researchers, academics and the whole University family
- Communities of north-east Scotland and from across the UK
- Scholars from across the world
What will it provide?
- A dramatic addition to the architectural heritage of the City
- A modern, spacious, pleasing environment, with flexibility for single study, group work and social areas, with the latest online resources and technology
- A secure, environmentally-controlled home for fragile and irreplaceable historic materials
- Dedicated public space for exhibitions, readings, art and musical events
How is this being funded?
- Total project cost of £57 million ($114m) is an integral part of University’s ten-year capital investment programme to match estate to academic strength and ambition
- Fundraising target of £30 million ($60m)
- Unique opportunities for organisations and individuals to be acknowledged as benefactors
What, where and when?
- October 2005: schmidt hammer lassen appointed as design partner on strength of matching vision and portfolio of outstanding public buildings
- March 2006: University Court formally approves funding plan
- December 2007: planning permission received
- July 2008: University issues tender for construction contract
- October 2008: enabling works begin onsite
- early summer 2009: construction begins onsite
- late summer 2011: new library opens for students, staff and local communities
Visit our estates web pages to find out more about the project team, and our major campus investment programme.
Page last updated: Monday, 05-Mar-2012 10:53:14 GMT
King's College · Aberdeen AB24 3FX · Scotland · UK
Tel: +44 (0)1224-272281 · Fax: +44 (0)1224-272271 · Email: email@example.com