King’s Museum lies at the heart of the University's Old Aberdeen campus. As well as being Scotland's newest museum, it may also be the oldest as its origins lie in a museum collection established in King's College in 1727. King’s Museum has exhibitions changing every few months to display these collections, some involving students and academic staff collaborating with the museum to bring recent research to a wider audience. With a service for schools, evening lectures and other events, such as the annual ‘Night at the Museum’, the museum is a place where objects and ideas are explored in ways that would have been inconceivable to those who have collected and curated the collection over the past centuries.
The museum is a friendly place, where passers-by, students, staff and tourists can drop in for a break; a place of stimulation and reflection in the middle of the busy campus.
Drawing on recent fieldwork from the University of Aberdeen’s Archaeology Department, this exhibition explores the origins of the Pictish kingdoms of Northern Scotland.
Objects on show for the first time include a recently unearthed Pictish silver hoard discovered during fieldwork at Gaulcross, and new finds from the excavations at Rhynie. On display from the University Museum’s collections are a beautiful Pictish silver chain and a carved stone depicting a sea eagle, along with loans of Pictish silver and other artefacts from Aberdeenshire Museums, National Museums Scotland and the British Museum. The exhibition also includes experimental reconstructions of Pictish metalworking by the Scottish Sculpture Workshop, and artefacts by Rhynie Woman artists’ collective.
The exhibition will be open from 20 January to 31 May 2015.