- The measurement of blood pressure is one of the most commonly performed procedures in
clinical medicine and should be done carefully.
- The main causes of misleading readings should be highlighted in training.
- All those who measure blood pressure should be assessed on the practical aspects of the
- Defective or inappropriate equipment must not be used. A phased maintenance programme is
essential and inexpensive.
- A maintenance programme should be defined for each clinical area where blood pressure
measurements are made.
- Mercury is a toxic substance. Care must be exercised when handling mercury
sphygmomanometers and special precautions taken if mercury spillage occurs.
- Automated devices will in time replace mercury sphygmomanometers. Such devices must be
subjected to independent validation of accuracy.
- Special consideration has to be given to the technique of blood pressure measurement in
special groups, such as children, the obese, the elderly and pregnant women.
a blood pressure profile] [Equipment]
[Blood pressure measurement in special circumstances]
© BHS 1999