View Polwarth Building in a larger map
This was the original Medical School building, constructed in the 1930's and extended considerably in the years after the war. The original building required extensive reconstruction in the 1970's but still retains some of its original character.
In This Building
- School of Medicine & Dentistry - the administrative offices for the Head of School and his Heads of Division are based within the Polwarth Building along with some of its constituent Sections. The Polwarth Building is also home to the Admissions Team who look after the School's undergraduate degree in medicine.
- College of Life Sciences and Medicine Officeand Office of the ACT Monitor are in the Polwarth Building and under the Head of College, provide the administrative services to the whole College.
- Research and Innovationis the research, contracts and technology transfer office of the University of Aberdeen. The Foresterhill office is in the Polwarth Building; there is also a general office in Old Aberdeen.
- Research Financial Serviceswork closely with Research and Innovation. Their Foresterhill office ensures efficient and sound application/contract costings. All applications/tenders for external funding should be dropped off at the RFS/R&I office for approval by authroised University signatories. Research Financial Services also have a general office in the University Office at Old Aberdeen.
- CAL Unit: This Unit works to develop Computer Assisted Learning packages for the medical sciences, and is located in Medical Illustration on the ground floor.
- Clinical Genetics: Much involved in investigation of inherited diseases in all their aspects, and taking advantage of the relatively stable population of the North-East - ideal for such studies.
- Population Health: The Division of Population Health forms an integral part of the Medical School at the University of Aberdeen. In population health, the aim is primarily to prevent disease, to prolong life and to promote health.
- Health Economics Research Unit (HERU): A research unit funded by the Scottish Executive Chief Scientist Office, undertaking research in two programmes: Behaviour, Health and Health Systems (BHHS) and Preference Elicitation and Assessment of Technologies (PEAT). For more information on HERU, please visit http://www.abdn.ac.uk/heru/
- Health Services Research Unit(HSRU): A research unit funded by the Scottish Executive Chief Scientist Office, undertaking research in four programmes: Healthcare Assessment, Participation in Healthcare, Effective Professional Practice and Mental Health research.
- Medical Illustration: provides photographic and televisual services, with a strong unit involved with the development of Computer Assisted Learning.
- School of Medical Sciences: A number of School of Medical Sciences staff are housed here, although the School Office is contained in the Institute of Medical Sciences Building.
- IT Service Desk Support of and assistance with University of Aberdeen IT services, software or hardware.
- School of Medicine & Dentistry Admissions: Application forms are processed by the Medical and Dental School Admissions Team based in the Polwarth Building.
- Translational Medical Sciences
- Medical Education: The office of the SCT Monitor and the Assessment Office, Clinical Teaching Fellows and the Divisional Management team are based in the Polwarth Building.