Dr Michelle Pinard
My primary research interests are in natural forest management, tropical forest ecology, and the interface between management and ecology. I also have an interest in tropical forest's role in rural development.
I am best known for my work on regeneration issues in logged forests, carbon offsets in forestry, and reduced-impact logging. Recently I completed several experiments with colleagues in Brazil, Ghana and Malaysia that examined silvicultural problems related to the selection of trees for felling and retention in natural forests managed for timber.
Currently, I am working with colleagues in Sri Lanka and Ethiopia developing systems that allow rural people living in and near the forest to generate livelihoods in ways that are compatible with forest conservation.
Buffer zone restoration and development in Knuckles Forest Reserve, Sri Lanka (with U Peradeniya, Darwin Initiative).
Biodiversity Monitoring in Forest Ecosystems in Bale Mountains Park, Ethiopia (with BMNP, Darwin Initiative).
Silvicultural intervention in tropical moist forest in Ghana: an assessment of forest responses and stakeholder priorities. Tropenbos Ghana Project. (with E Foli, Forest Research Institute Ghana).
Modelling composition and performance of timber tree regeneration after selective logging. Tropenbos Ghana Project. (with M D Swaine, U Aberden; K Adam, Forest Research Institute Ghana, and F Bongers, Wageningen Agricultural University).
Silviculture and economics of improved natural forest management in Ghana. International Tropical Timber Organization. (with Ghana Forestry Department, Forest Research Institute Ghana, Ghana Timber Millers Organisation).
Rural livelihoods and carbon managementj. Department for International Development, UK. (with S Bass, IIED; P Moura-Costa, Ecosecurities; and R Tipper, U Edinburgh).
Disturbance and regeneration in tropical rain forest: the importance of biotic interactions. British Ecological Society, Overseas Research Programme. (with D Burslem, U Aberdeen; S Compton, U Leeds; J Ghazoul, Imperial College; S Hartley, U Sussex; M Press and J Scholes, U Sheffield).
I teach a course in Rural Development Forestry and Tropical Forest Ecology and Management. I also contribute to the second year Community Ecology course and the third year Biological Conservation in the Tropics course.
I am the Programme Coordinator the MSc Forestry.
Dr. Pinard is currently
an external examiner for the MSc Environmental Science and MSc Agroforestry at the University of Wales, Bangor, as well as the Ecological Management Option of the Environmental Technology MSc at Imperial College.
- Wakjira, DT., Fischer, A. & Pinard, MA. Governance Change and Institutional Adaptation, Article, 2013, Environmental Management, 51, 4, pp912 - 925, ISSN/ISBN: 0364-152X
- Dhakal, B., Pinard, M., Gunatilleke, I., Gunatilleke, C., Weerasinghe, H., Dharmaparakrama, A. & Burslem, D. Impacts of cardamom cultivation on montane forest ecosystems in Sri Lanka, Article, 2012, Forest Ecology and Management, 274, pp151 - 160, ISSN/ISBN: 0378-1127
- Putz, FE., Zuidema, PA., Synnott, T., Pena-Claros, M., Pinard, MA., Sheil, D., Vanclay, J., Sist, P., Gourlet-Fleury, S., Griscom, B., Palmer, J. & Zagt, R. Sustaining conservation values in selectively logged tropical forests, Article, 2012, Conservation Letters, 5, 4, pp296 - 303, ISSN/ISBN: 1755-263X
- Evely, AC., Pinard, M., Reed, MS. & Fazey, I. High levels of participation in conservation projects enhance learning, Article, 2011, Conservation Letters, 4, 2, pp116 - 126, ISSN/ISBN: 1755-263X
- Mamo, Y., Pinard, M. & Bekele, A. Demography and dynamics of mountain nyala Tragelaphus buxtoni in the Bale Mountains National Park, Ethiopia, Article, 2010, Current Zoology, 56, 6, pp660 - 669, ISSN/ISBN: 1674-5507
- de Freitas, JV. & Pinard, MA. Applying ecological knowledge to decisions about seed tree retention in selective logging in tropical forests, Article, 2008, Forest Ecology and Management, 256, 7, pp1434 - 1442, ISSN/ISBN: 0378-1127
- Putz, FE., Zuidema, PA., Pinard, MA., Boot, RGA., Sayer, JA., Sheil, D., Sist, P., Elias, M. & Vanclay, JK. Improved tropical forest management for carbon retention, Editorial, 2008, PLoS Biology, 6, 7, ISSN/ISBN: 1544-9173
- Evely, AC., Fazey, I., Pinard, M. & Lambin, X. The Influence of Philosophical Perspectives in Integrative Research, Article, 2008, Ecology and Society, 13, 2, ISSN/ISBN: 1708-3087
- Sudin, M., Woodward, S., Lee, S. & Pinard, M. Wood decay associated with logging wounds in Parashorea malaanonan, Article, 2007, Australasian Plant Pathology, 36, 6, pp565 - 572, ISSN/ISBN: 0815-3191
- Barker, MG., Pinard, MA. & Nilus, R. Allometry and shade tolerance in pole-sized trees of two contrasting dipterocarp species in Sabah, Malaysia, Article, 2006, Biotropica, 38, 3, pp437 - 440, ISSN/ISBN: 0006-3606
- Woods, CM., Woodward, S., Pinard, MA. & Redfern, DB. Colonization of Sitka spruce stumps by decay-causing hymenomycetes in paired inoculations., Article, 2006, Mycological Research, 110, pp854 - 868, ISSN/ISBN: 0953-7562
- Adam, KA., Pinard, MA. & Swaine, MD. Nine decades of regulating timber harvest from forest reserves and the status of residual forests in Ghana, Article, 2006, International Forestry Review, 8, pp280 - 296, ISSN/ISBN: 1465-5489
- Burslem, DFRP., Pinard, MA. & Hartley, SE. Biotic Interactions in the Tropics, Book, 2005
- Pinard, MA. Changes in plant communities associated with timber management in natural forests in the moist tropics, Chapter, 2005, Biotic Interactions in the Tropics, pp530 - 551
- Putz, FE., Pinard, MA., Fredericksen, T. & Pena, M. Forest science and the Bolfor experience: research in support of natural forest management in Bolivia, Chapter, 2003, Zarin, D. (ed.), Working Forests. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Woodward, S., Schooenberg, T. & Pinard, MA. Responses to wounding in tree species characteristic of seasonally dry tropical forest of Bolivia., Article, 2003, Canadian journal of forest research = Revue canadienne de recherche forestiere, 33, pp330 - 338, ISSN/ISBN: 0045-5067
- Sudin, M., Pinard, MA., Lee, SS. & Woodward, S. Incidence and extent of decay in Parashorea malaanonan following logging using different impact systems in Sabah, Malaysia, Article, 2002, Proceedings of the 10th IUFRO Conference on Root and Butt Rot, pp343 - 347, ISSN/ISBN: 0835-1589
- Pinard, MA. Lecythidaceae, Chapter, 2002, Tree Flora of Sabah and Sarawak. Volume 4. Forest Research Institute, Malaysia, pp101 - 128
- Perez-Salicrup, DR., Claros, A., Guzman, R., Ledezma, F., Pinard, MA. & Putz, FE. Cost and efficiency of cutting lianas in a lowland liana forest in Bolivia, Article, 2001, Biotropica, 33, pp320 - 329, ISSN/ISBN: 0006-3606
- Pinard, MA. Forest canopy research: sampling problems and some solutions, Article, 2001, Plant Ecology, 153, pp23 - 38
- Putz, FE., Sirot, LK. & Pinard, MA. Tropical forest management and wildlife: a mechanistic approach for predicting some effects of logging and other silvicultural treatments, Chapter, 2001, In: The Cutting Edge: Conserving Wildlife in Logged Tropical Forests (eds. Fimbel,R.;Grajal,A.;Robinson,J.), Columbia University Press, New York