Dr Gwen-Aelle Grelet
International Outgoing Marie Curie Fellow
05/2010-03/2013: Marie Curie International Outgoing Fellow. ERICARB: Does plant C regulate the decomposition of soil organic matter by ericoid mycorrhizal fungi? Funded by the European FP7 (Marie Curie indiviual fellowship). hosted by the University of Aberdeen (UK), with outgoing partners Landcare Research (NZ) and Harvard University (USA).
10/2009-04/2010: Postodoctoral Research (Part-time 80%), University of Aberdeen. Mycorrhizal interactions in native pinewoods: are ericoid and ectomycorrhizal fungi genetically and functionally distinct? UK-NERC funded.
10/2005-09/2009: Postdoctoral Researcher (Part-time 75%), University of Aberdeen & The Macaulay Institute. Mycorrhizal interactions in native pinewoods: are ericoid and ectomycorrhizal fungi genetically and functionally distinct? UK-NERC funded.
08/2003-09/2005: Maternity break
04/2002-07/2003: NSERC Research Fellow , Pacific Agri-Food Research Centre (Summerland B.C., Canada). : The role of soil temperature and root-to-shoot cycling of amino N in nitrate uptake by apple roots. Joint funded by NSERC - AAFC, Canada.
05/2001-03/2002: Post-doctoral Researcher, University of Aberdeen (UK). Forms of N used by the association Vaccinium-Hymenoscyphus: Inter-and intra-specific variations. NERC-UK funded.
08/2000 - 04/2001: Maternity break
04/1996 - 07/2000: Ph.D. - Remobilisation of N by two heath species: Vaccinium myrtillus (deciduous) and V. vitis-idaea (evergreen) compared. Supervised by Prof Ian Alexander (University of Aberdeen, UK), Dr Michael Proe (The Macaulay Institute, Aberdeen, UK) & Dr Jean-Sylvain Frossard (INRA Clermond-Ferrand, France).
09/1995-03/1996: Research assistant, Biolandes Technologies (France) - Food Industry.09/1994-07/1995: MSc.- Temperature affects cellular energy during budbreak in walnut buds, Supervised by Dr Jean-Sylvain Frossard, Bioclimatologie, INRA Clermont-Fd (France) and Prof Michel Gendraud, Université Clermont-Fd II (France).
1990-1994: BSc (2.1.) Population Biology and Plant morphogenesis, Université Bordeaux I (France).
My current interests are:
1. Understanding and quantifying the impact of mycorrhizal activity on plant-soil carbon and nutrient cycling.
2. Population genetics, biogeography and physiology of ericoid mycorrhizal fungi.
3. Invasive ecology of ericoid mycorrhizal plants and fungal symbionts.
I am using a combination of advanced stable isotopes and molecular biology techniques, to address these issues at both organism and ecosystem scales.
I investigate whether the decomposing activity of mycorrhizal fungi is linked to input of labile carbon by plants into soils.
To this purpose, I am using a natural experiment in the UNESCO world-heritage site, Tongariro National Park in New Zealand, where an exotic, invasive plant species (heather) and its mycorrhizal fungi are destroying the native ecosystem.
My aim is to understand the role of invasive ericoid mycorrhizal fungi in the successful establishment of their host plant, and how their invasion affects soil C processes in ecosystem.
Landcare Research - Maaaki Whenua (http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/)
The Macaulay Institute (http://www.macaulay.ac.uk)
- 05/2010-03/2013: IOF-Marie Curie individual fellowship. ERICARB (funded by FP7): 246K€
- 04/2002-07/2003: NSERC / Pacific Agri-Food Research Centre (Summerland B.C., Canada): "The role of soil temperature and root-to-shoot cycling of amino N in nitrate uptake by apple roots".
Named PDRA on the following grants:
- 10/2009-04/2010 - NERC small grant: "Unravelling the functional diversity of fungi in ericaceous hair roots." - in collaboration with the Macaulay Institute (UK) and The University of Western Sydney (AU). £53K.
- 10/2005-09/2009 - NERC research grant: "Mycorrhizal interactions in native pinewoods: are ericoid and ectomycorrhizal fungi genetically and functionally distinct?" - in collaboration with the Macaulay Institute (UK). £292K.
- 05/2001-03/2002 -NERC small grant: "Forms of N used by the association Vaccinium-Hymescyphus: Inter-and intra-specific variations"
- Royal Society of Edinburgh (international exchange bilateral programme): visit to Landcare Research, New Zealand (February 2009) - £1.4K
Gwen Grelet, Betty Duff,andy Meharg, David Johnson, Ian Anderson and Ian Alexander (2006) Genetic and Functional diversity within the Hymenoscyphus ericae aggregate. 5th International Conference on Mycorrhiza, Granada, Spain.
Grelet, GA; Guak, S, Millard, P, Neilsen, D and Neilsen, G (2003) The regulation of nitrate uptake by apple roots. Washington Tree Fruit Research Commission, apple horticulture research review, Penticton BC, Canada.
Grelet, GA; Millard, P and Alexander, IJ (1998) Storage and remobilisation of nitrogen in relation to carbohydrate partitioning in Vaccinium species. Society of Experimental Biology Annual meeting, York, UK. Abstract published in Journal of Experimental Botany 49s.
Grelet, GA; Alexander, IJ and Proe, MF (1998) A conceptual model of the internal cycling of N in two woody shrubs. 2nd International workshop on functional-structural tree models, Clermont-Fd, France.
Grelet, GA; Millard, P and Alexander, IJ (1997) Nitrogen remobilisation for leaf growth in Vaccinium species. British Ecological Society Winter meeting, Warwick, UK.
Millard, P, Grelet, GA; Guak, S, Neilsen, D and Neilsen, G (2003). The regulation of nitrate uptake by apple roots. Washington Tree Fruit Research Commission, apple horticulture research review, Penticton BC, Canada.
Grelet, GA, Meharg, AA and Alexander, IJ (2002). Does N utilisation in ericoid association reflect the intraspecific variations in N sources preference by Hymnoscyphus ericae? The Ecological Society of America Annual meeting, Tucson, U.S.A.
Grelet, GA, Alexander, IJ and Proe, MF (1999). The impact of nitrogen supply on the growth and development of an evergreen and a deciduous heath species. British Ecological Society Winter meeting, Leeds, U.K. Highly commended for best student oral presentation prize.
- Rosling, A., Cox, F., Cruz-Martinez, K., Ihrmark, K., Grelet, G., Lindahl, BD., Menkis, A. & James, TY. Archaeorhizomycetes, Article, 2011, Science, 333, 6044, pp876 - 879, ISSN/ISBN: 0036-8075
- Grelet, G., Johnson, D., Vralstad, T., Alexander, IJ. & Anderson, IC. Corrigendum: New insights into the mycorrhizal Rhizoscyphus ericae aggregate: spatial structure and co-colonization of ectomycorrhizal and ericoid roots (vol 188, pg 210, 2010), Article, 2011, New Phytologist, 189, 2 - 643, ISSN/ISBN: 0028-646X
- Bengtsson, J., Eriksson, KM., Hartmann, M., Wang, Z., Shenoy, BD., Grelet, G., Abarenkov, K., Petri, A., Rosenblad, MA. & Nilsson, RH. Metaxa, Article, 2011, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek , 100, 3, pp471 - 475, ISSN/ISBN: 0003-6072
- Tedersoo, L., Abarenkov, K., Nilsson, RH., Schuessler, A., Grelet, G., Kohout, P., Oja, J., Bonito, GM., Veldre, V., Jairus, T., Ryberg, M., Larsson, K. & Koeljalg, U. Tidying Up International Nucleotide Sequence Databases, Article, 2011, PLoS ONE, 6, 9, ISSN/ISBN: 1932-6203
- Grelet, G., Johnson, D., Vralstad, T., Alexander, IJ. & Anderson, IC. New insights into the mycorrhizal Rhizoscyphus ericae aggregate, Article, 2010, New Phytologist, 188, 1, pp210 - 222, ISSN/ISBN: 0028-646X
- Millard, P. & Grelet, G. Nitrogen storage and remobilization by trees, Scientific review, 2010, Tree Physiology, 30, 9, pp1083 - 1095, ISSN/ISBN: 0829-318X
- Grelet, G., Johnson, D., Paterson, E., Anderson, IC. & Alexander, IJ. Reciprocal carbon and nitrogen transfer between an ericaceous dwarf shrub and fungi isolated from Piceirhiza bicolorata ectomycorrhizas, Article, 2009, New Phytologist, 182, 2, pp359 - 366, ISSN/ISBN: 0028-646X
- Grelet, G., Meharg, AA., Duff, EI., Anderson, IC. & Alexander, IJ. Small genetic differences between ericoid mycorrhizal fungi affect nitrogen uptake by Vaccinium, Article, 2009, New Phytologist, 181, 3, pp708 - 718, ISSN/ISBN: 0028-646X
- Millard, P., Sommerkorn, M. & Grelet, G. Environmental change and carbon limitation in trees, Scientific review, 2007, New Phytologist, 175, 1, pp11 - 28, ISSN/ISBN: 0028-646X
- Millard, P., Wendler, R., Grassi, G., Grelet, GA. & Tagliavini, M. Translocation of nitrogen in the xylem of field-grown cherry and poplar trees during remobilization, Article, 2006, Tree Physiology, 26, 4, pp527 - 536, ISSN/ISBN: 0829-318X
- Grelet, G., Meharg, AA. & Alexander, IJ. Carbon availability affects nitrogen source utilisation by Hymenoscyphus ericae, Article, 2005, Mycological Research, 109, 4, pp469 - 477, ISSN/ISBN: 0953-7562
- Grelet, G., Alexander, IJ., Millard, P. & Proe, MF. Does morphology or the size of the internal nitrogen store determine how Vaccinium spp. respond to spring nitrogen supply?, Article, 2003, Functional Ecology, 17, 5, pp690 - 699, ISSN/ISBN: 0269-8463
- Grelet, G., Alexander, IJ., Proe, MF., Frossard, JS. & Millard, P. Leaf habit influences nitrogen remobilization in Vaccinium species, Article, 2001, Journal of Experimental Botany, 52, 358, pp993 - 1002, ISSN/ISBN: 0022-0957