Professor Robert Elliott
Chair in Health Economics
Bob is Professor in the Health Economics Research Unit and Department of Economics at the University of Aberdeen. He joined HERU as Director in December 2001, a post he held until September 2011. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and in 2007 was appointed as a Commissioner to the Low Pay Commission which sets the UK minimum wage. He has held visiting positions at several universities in the USA, Europe and Australia and has acted as consultant and adviser to the Police Federation, HM Treasury, the European Commission and the OECD. He chaired a Review of the Area Cost Adjustment in 1996 and was a member of the Committee of Inquiry into Professional Conditions for Teachers in Scotland (McCrone Committee) in 2000. He is a member of Sub-panel 2: Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF). He has directed a large number of research projects and published widely in the field of labour economics. He currently co-ordinates the EC Framework 7 research project MUNROS - Health Care Reform: The iMpact on practice, oUtcomes and costs of New roles for health pROfeSsionals. He is conducting research into potentially preventable hospitalisation in conjunction with researchers in Aberdeen and the Sax Institute in Australia and into health workforce with researchers at the Melbourne Institute. He teaches about health workforce on the MSc in Economics of Health run by HERU.
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Working Papers and Discussion Papers
- Elliott, RF. (2009). 'Distributing public funding to the NHS in England: taking account of differences in local labour market conditions on NHS recruitment and retention'. HERU Briefing Paper, University of Aberdeen.
[Online] AURA: Briefing_paper_30_2009_Jan.pdf
Contributions to Journals
- Stengel, B., Caskey, F., Stel, VS., Kramer, A., Elliott, RF., Covic, A., Geue, C., Cusumano, A., Macleod, A. & Jager, KJ. (in press). 'The EVEREST study - unravelling the association between macroeconomic indicators and mortality on dialysis'. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.
- Kramer, A., Stel, VS., Caskey, F., Stengel, B., Elliott, RF., Covic, A., Geue, C., Cusumano, A., Macleod, A. & Jager, KJ. (2012). 'Exploring the Association between Macroeconomic Indicators and Dialysis Mortality'. The American Society of Nephrology, vol 7, no. 10, pp. 1655-1663.
[Online] DOI: 10.2215/cjn.10461011
- Caskey, FJ., Kramer, A., Elliott, RF., Stel, VS., Covic, A., Cusumano, A., Geue, C., Macleod, AM., Zwinderman, AH., Stengel, B. & Jager, KJ. (2011). 'Global variation in renal replacement therapy for end-stage renal disease'. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol 26, no. 8, pp. 2604-2610.
[Online] DOI: 10.1093/ndt/gfq781
- Morris, S., Goudie, R., Sutton, M., Gravelle, H., Elliott, RF., Hole, AR., Ma, AHY., Sibbald, B. & Skatun, D. (2011). 'Determinants of general practioners' wages in England'. Health Economics, vol 20, no. 2, pp. 147-160.
[Online] DOI: 10.1002/hec.1573
- Caskey, FJ., Stel, VS., Elliott, RF., Jager, KJ., Covic, A., Cusumano, A., Geue, C., Kramer, A., Stengel, B. & Macleod, A. (2010). 'The EVEREST Study: An international collaboration'. NDT Plus, vol 3, no. 1, pp. 28-36.
[Online] DOI: 10.1093/ndtplus/sfp146
- Elliott, RF., Ma, AHY., Scott, A., Bell, D., Roberts, E. & Teckle, P. (2007). 'Geographically differentiated pay in the labout market for nurses'. Journal of Health Economics, vol 26, no. 1, pp. 190-212.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/J.JHEALECO.2006.05.002
- Bell, D., Elliott, RF., Ma, AHY., Scott, A. & Roberts, E. (2007). 'The pattern and evolution of geographical wage differentials in the public and private sectors in Great Britain'. The Manchester School, vol 75, no. 4, pp. 386-421.
- Sandy, R. & Elliott, RF. (2005). 'Long-term Illness and Wages: The Impact of the Risk of Occupationally Related Long-term Illness on Earnings'. Journal of Human Resources, vol 40, no. 3, pp. 744-768.
- Elliott, RF., Bell, D., Scott, A., Ma, AHY. & Roberts, E. (2005). 'Devolved government and public sector pay reform: considerations of equity and efficiency'. Regional Studies, vol 39, no. 4, pp. 519-539.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/00343400500128655
- Elliott, RF., Mavromaras, KG. & Meurs, D. (2007). 'Special issue on public sector pay structures and regional competitiveness: Editors' introduction'. The Manchester School, vol 75, no. 4, pp. 373-385.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9957.2007.01022.x
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Elliott, RF. & Bell, D. (2012). 'Public Sector Pay in Scotland: An Overview in Public Sector Remuneration in Scotland'. in Public Sector Remuneration in Scotland. vol. 93, David Hume Institute, Edinburgh, pp. 1-24.
- Elliott, RF. & Bryson, A. (2012). 'The Reform of Pay Setting'. in Public Sector Remuneration in Scotland. vol. 93, David Hume Institute, Edinburgh, pp. 69-82.
- Elliott, RF. (2010). 'Comment on "Achieving a Self-sufficient workforce?: the utilisation of migrant labour in healthcare"'. in M Ruhs & B Anderson (eds), Who needs migrant workers?: Labour shortages, immigration, and public policy. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 119-124.
- Elliott, RF., Gerova, V., Phimister, E., Ermisch, J. & Wright, R. (2005). 'Distribution and Structure of Pay in Changing Scotland: evidence from the British Household Panel Study'. in The Policy Press. pp. 159-83.
- Elliott, RF., Skatun, D., Antonazzo, E., Scott, A. & Maynard, A. (2002). 'The Nursing Labour Market Advances in Health Economics'. in John Wiley. pp. 99-120.
Books and Reports
- Elliott, RF. & Phimister, E. (2005). 'The Impact of the Minimum Wage in Scotland'. Scottish Centre for Research on Social Justice, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- Elliott, RF. (2003). 'The Further Reform of Decentralised Pay and Grading Systems in the UK'. The Statistical Office of The European Community.
- Elliott, RF. (2003). 'Public Sector Pay Setting in Greece: The Implications for the Method of Setting the Salaries of European Commission Employees'. The Implications for the Method of Setting the Salaries of European Commission Employees.
- Elliott, RF. (2002). 'London Weighting: Report of the London Weighting Advisory Panel (with committee members)'. Greater London Authority, London.
- Elliott, RF. (2002). 'Public Sector Pay Setting in Portugal: The Implications for the Method of Setting the Salaries of European Commission Employees'. The Statistical Office of The European Community.
- Elliott, RF. (2002). 'Public Sector Pay Setting in Spain: The Implications for the Method of Setting the Salaries of European Commission Employees'. The Statistical Office of The European Community.
- Elliott, RF., Bell, D. & Scott, A. (2005). 'Competition and Reform: Devolved government and public sector pay setting'. ESRC, Swindon, United Kingdom.