The Geddes-Harrower Chair
The Geddes-Harrower Chair of Greek Art and Archaeology was established in 1960 with funds bequeathed by John Harrow, Regius Professor of Greek from 1886 to 1931, whose wish it was that the Chair should commemorate not only himself but also his predecessor in the Chair, Sir William Geddes, later Principal of the University.
The Chair is a visiting professorship. Each person appointed is invited to spend from six to ten weeks in Aberdeen, preferably in part of the winter term of the first half-session (late September to mid December), though a stay in the second half-session (February to May, less the Easter vacation) might also be practicable. During this time the holder is expected to deliver a series of public lectures and to undertake a limited amount of teaching on Greek art and archaeology. The public series usually comprises five or six lectures to an audience of about 100, including people from outside the University; these lectures may be on any subject within the field of Greek art and archaeology (which is interpreted in a wide sense), and should be liberally illustrated with slides or other visual material. The Professor is generally invited, while resident in Aberdeen, by one or more of the other three ancient Scottish Universities; St. Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh, to give a talk to a local classical or archaeological association and/or to one or more of the Scottish Hellenic Societies which exist in the four towns with ancient Universities.
Aberdeen provides a congenial environment for scholarly work, and the teaching duties attached to the Chair, especially when the holder chooses to stay for longer than the minimum period of about six weeks, allow ample time and opportunity for reading, research and other personal work. The University Library and Historic Collections contain an unusually good collection of books and periodicals in the field of Greek art and archaeology. The Marischal Museum has some fine Greek vases and coins and other antiquities of relevant interest.