- Multi-phase flow in porous media
- Buoyancy-driven flow
- Instability and turbulence in inclined pipes
- Turbulence and mass transport in random cylinder arrays
- Techniques used include:
- ADV, LDV, PIV
- LIF, PLIF
- pore-network simulation
- X-ray microtomography
- Impact of wettability on waterflood oil recovery. Students: Magali Christensen (PhD candidate, 2016).
- Oil quality reflected in API gravity, viscosity, sulfur contect affects its nature and producibility. Student: Blessing Akamairo [PhD candidate, 2015; with Stephen A. Bowden].
- Impact of viscoelasticity of cross-linked polymer gel systems on polymer-flood oil recovery. Student: Jacob Opata [PhD candidate, 2019; co-supervision with Amer Syed].
- Experimental waterflooding of basaltic lavas and extrusives. Student: Shaibu Mohammed [PhD candidate, 2018; with S. A. Bowden and Malcolm Hole].
- Flow and transport of chemical EOR agents in carbonates. Student: Mahmoud Ibrahim [PhD candidate, 2019; with S. A. Bowden]
- Multi-fluid flow and multi-scale reactive transport in subsurface rock. Student: Babatunde Lashore [PhD candidate, 2018; with Jeff Gomes (PI)].
- Geomechanical stability of rocks during drilling. Student: Dhelda Mfanga [PhD candidate, 2018; with A. Syed (PI)].
- Engineered inversions in reservoir wettability and its impact on oil recovery from fractured reservoirs. Students: TBC. Collaborators: S. A. Bowden., Andy Welch.
- Chemical markers of asphaltene and DNAPL pollutant mobilization in the subsurface. Student: TBC. [with S. A. Bowden (PI)]
- PhD opportunities for self-funded students:
- Improving predictions of waterflood efficiency through the use of experimental studies, formation evaluation, and geochemical monitoring [details; with Stephen Bowden].
- Raindrops, pesticides, and ink: droplet interactions with porous surfaces [details; co-supervision with Peter Hicks (PI)]
- Stephen A Bowden, Department of Geology and Petroleum Geology, Aberdeen
- Amer Syed, School of Engineering, Aberdeen
- David L Jacobson, NIST (US)
- Daniel S Hussey, NIST (US)
- Jean-Pierre Hulin, Laboratoire FAST (France)
- Frederic Moisy, Laboratoire FAST (France)
- Martin J Blunt, Imperial
- Heidi M Nepf, MIT (US)
Our research is supported by:
- Royal Society Research Grant (2014)
- The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland Research Grant (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Chevron Fund (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Principal's Interdisciplinary Fund (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Principal's Excellence Fund (2014)
- Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts Foundation grant (M. Christensen, 2014)
- Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts Foundation grant (B. Akamairo, 2013)
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society bursary (2013, 2014, 2015 M. Christensen)
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society bursary (2015 B. Akamairo)
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society bursary (2015 S. Mohammed)
- College of Physical Sciences PhD studentship (2013-2016, M. Christensen)
- David B Smith donation to the School of Engineering (2012)