Our teams are key to the delivery of IT services to the University community. See below for a summary of the services offered. Further details are supplied on individual team web sites.
- Assistive Technology
- Data Management Services (CLSM)
- Media Services - Audio Visual support
- Medical Illustration
- Relationship Management
- Service Desk
- Telephony Services
- Training & Documentation Team
- Web Team
Under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 2005, the University has a duty to promote equality of opportunity for disabled people. In many cases this means making sure the appropriate assistive technology and support is in place to enable students with a disability, specific learning difficulty, mental or other health issue to access the same curriculum and learning environment as their non-disabled peers. The Assistive Technology Team provides the following services:
- Technology Assessment, recommendations and assistance with purchasing equipment for students applying for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
- Equipment loans for students who would benefit from assistive technologies but who are not eligible for the DSA
- Training in the use of assistive software and hardware and tailored to specific requirements of each individual.
- Specific ongoing one-to-one support where needed
- Advice about the production of accessible learning materials
- Assistive Technology Booths
- Workshops and drop-in sessions
The Data Management team, based in the College of Lifes Sciences and Medicine, provides data management services to researchers within the University of Aberdeen, NHS Grampian and external clients.
It is essential that new grant applications for research funding should include a cost element to cover data management services such as database design (in Microsoft Access or SQL Server), web applications, patient matching on the NHS Grampian Community Health Index (CHI) or the Patient Administration System (PAS), random population surveys, case-control studies, record linkage, questionnaire design, data entry, data cleaning, manipulation and data analysis.
The team has a wide range of experience in dealing with data in all different formats and can assist in cleaning and transferring it into a more manageable format.
For additional information and general enquires please email email@example.com and one of the team will be happy to assist.
Media Services provide AV equipment and technical support for Colleges and Schools throughout The University.
Our experienced support staff come from a variety of backgrounds and with wide ranging skills - from sound engineering to data projection, photography and video-conferencing.
Fixed equipment is available in some teaching areas, and can be temporarily installed in others. We can advise you about equipment in specific rooms, and demonstrate its use. Indeed, a quick practice run-through in advance of using an unfamiliar room, or new equipment is usually advised. We also offer advice on the purchase/renewal of AV equipment, and can recommend a choice of competitive sources.
The College of Life Sciences and Medicine's Medi-CAL Unit produces leading-edge e-Learning applications for medical students, science students, dental students, postgraduate students, healthcare workers and patients. The Unit is also actively involved with technical and educational research.
The department provides a comprehensive range of Medical Illustration services for teaching, research and publication for the School of Medicine and Aberdeen Royal Hospital Trusts. We can also provide a media service for other departments within the University and the ARI Trusts.
The areas of expertise within the department include:
- Medi-CAL Unit
Visit the Relationship Management web pages
The Relationship Management team focuses on strategic IT development, change management and internal project management, as well as ensuring IT Services provides an effective and timely operational service.
The Service Desk is your first point of contact for support of, and assistance with, University of Aberdeen IT services, software or hardware. The service is available to University of Aberdeen staff (including temporary/honorary staff, and research postgraduates) and students with a valid HR or student record.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone us on 273636, or drop in:
Edward Wright (G83), Old Aberdeen
- Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri from 09:00-12:00 and 13:00-17:00
- Wed from 10:15-12:00 and 13:00-17:00.
Polwarth (1:122), Foresterhill
- Mon-Wed and Fri 09:00-17:00, and Thurs 09:00-16:00
Library (Information Centre)
- Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri from 10:00-16:00
- Wed from 13:00-16:00
Out of hours
The Out-of-hours (OOH) helpline operates from 17:00 to 08:00 weekdays and provides 24 hour cover over weekends and public holidays. During these times, any call you make to our Service Desk number is automatically transferred to the OOH Helpline.
Providing telephone services on the Old Aberdeen campus and Hillhead.
The Training & Documentation Team (TaD) is responsible for the management and delivery of IT training and documentation services within the University. Services include:
- scheduled programme of courses, workshops and seminars - published each half-session
- fact sheets, user guides, and training workbooks supporting the use of information systems and software
- specialist advice and assistance via the Service Desk
- European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) program and Microsoft IT Academy qualifications
The Web Team is responsible for the maintenance of the University's central web pages; free consultation, maintenance, design and authoring services to University departments and sections for core work, and a charged, non-profit service for non-core work. Contact:
Edward Wright Building
Tel: +44 (0)1224-273262
Fax: +44 (0)1224-273372